Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Philosopher?

#1 User is offline   Khanna 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:41 AM

Hey guys. In Book #2 there's a scene in an inn. Kalam is sitting at a stanger's table. One of the nearby drunk patrons topples from his chair, hits his head on the floor and slides down the curving floor to the center of the room. A rat climbs on top of his motionless form. At that point the stranger says:

"Everyone'a a philosopher."

What does this mean? What is the stranger referring to? (It's not a part of the conversation they're having. He is simply reacting to what happened to the drunk patron.)

#2 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:20 AM

I interpreted that as joking that the drunk dramatically fainted and slid on purpose, as a commentary on Kalam and the stranger's cryptic conversation.

Basically, he's joking that the drunk found it so dull, that passing out into a pile of filth was more desirable.

#3 User is offline   Zerv 

• Corporal

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:33 AM

This incident happens immediately after the stranger remarks that "Some people get rude and stop listening", so it could also be seen as a joke on how the drunk patron is seemingly doing exactly that, in rather dramatic fashion.

#4 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 27 February 2020 - 05:20 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 27 February 2020 - 01:20 AM, said:

I interpreted that as joking that the drunk dramatically fainted and slid on purpose, as a commentary on Kalam and the stranger's cryptic conversation.

Basically, he's joking that the drunk found it so dull, that passing out into a pile of filth was more desirable.

Yes, to add, It might have been SE inserting a joke about philosophers, i.e. making fun of how philosopher overstate their theories like the drunk in this case overreacting (though apparently not on purpose)

I want to say that it is fun to see your questions, and kind of opened my eyes how detailed somebody can read something and enjoy text at a subtle level.

This post has been edited by nacht: 27 February 2020 - 05:22 AM

#5 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 27 February 2020 - 06:49 AM

View Postnacht, on 27 February 2020 - 05:20 AM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 27 February 2020 - 01:20 AM, said:

Yes, to add, It might have been SE inserting a joke about philosophers, i.e. making fun of how philosopher overstate their theories like the drunk in this case overreacting (though apparently not on purpose)

I want to say that it is fun to see your questions, and kind of opened my eyes how detailed somebody can read something and enjoy text at a subtle level.

Agreed, I am enjoying the questions too!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users