Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#2681 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 May 2021 - 10:58 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 11 May 2021 - 08:49 PM, said:

As well as rich nations hogging doses, isn't a big bottle neck in the manufacturing supply chain? I read that the large bags they ferment the cells in are in short supply and now on a 12 week lead time compared to previously 4 weeks or something. And I guess there is not much point manufacturing in smaller batches if you can get smaller bags because it's better to manufacture smaller numbers of huge batches for logistical reasons. There must be issues with other components or purifying stuff. The supply chain must be massive and it will all need to be cGMP certified which means you can't get any old giant bag....

'The first shortage is in sterile, single-use plastic bags which sit inside the metal reactor vessels [...] Several suppliers of these plastic liners are ramping up production so it’s anticipated this shortage won’t last too long. [It's basically just a large sterile plastic bag? Can't certifications for something that simple be sped up for an emergency like this?]

[...]

The main bottleneck right now is the supply of some of the lipids making the nanoparticles that protect the mRNA and deliver it into our cells.

One lipid in particular, a so-called “cationic lipid”[...] Several chemical synthesis steps are required to make these cationic lipids, and prior to COVID only a handful of manufacturers worldwide were making these, and only on a fairly small scale.

Upscaling this production of cationic lipids has been even harder than setting up the mRNA production.

[...] in December 2020 [...] Trump invoked the Defense Production Act to assist Pfizer in accessing more lipids.

[...] In most cases, demand has outstripped supply. In some cases, some countries or companies have been stockpiling some of these components. “Operation Warp Speed”, initiated by the Trump administration to speed up COVID vaccine development, used its financial clout throughout 2020 to buy up and secure many vaccine components including vials and lipids.'

https://theconversat...mponents-159143

So it seems like it's not literally 'raw materials' in the sense of rare natural resources or anything like that, but producing things from available materials, with the small number of producers being the main limiting factor.

#2682 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:15 AM

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK

PARSE THIS SHIT INOT A RATIONAL PARAGRAPH

FUCK

#2683 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:16 AM

FUCK

AGAIN

FUCK

OH HURRY UP AND SORT THIS OUT ABYSS

IM DRUNK

FUCK YOU YOU CATWIERDO.

THESE POSTS HAVE POISSED EVERYONE3 OFF FOR FUCKING MOLNTHSD

#2684 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:17 AM

BLaraegf.

AND ERIKSPON IS OVERATED

#2685 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:18 AM

AH FUCJK WORK SOON

#2686 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:18 AM

BED

#2687 User is online   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 May 2021 - 06:38 AM

This feels like a flashback to old times.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#2688 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 12 May 2021 - 07:47 AM

Oh, the Irishman just discovered whiskey.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2689 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:33 AM

View PostCyphon, on 12 May 2021 - 06:38 AM, said:

This feels like a flashback to old times.

Could the world be getting back to normal finally?
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2690 User is online   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:42 AM

Nature is healing, Macros is drunk.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#2691 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 12 May 2021 - 11:18 AM

Yeah, so absolutely no point targeting the patents if you don't have a handle on the materials side.

[Edit] Or is that not what Macros meant?

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 12 May 2021 - 11:19 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#2692 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 May 2021 - 11:43 AM

Oh double oh my.

I definitely do not recall

#2693 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 May 2021 - 11:45 AM

I have no idea what Macros meant.
Macros had several drinks last night, Tuesday night poker nights woohoo!

#2694 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:00 PM

Classic.

Sore arm and shoulder was my only reaction to the 2nd Moderna. All good so far.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#2695 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:53 PM

View PostMacros, on 12 May 2021 - 11:45 AM, said:

I have no idea what Macros meant.
Macros had several drinks last night, Tuesday night poker nights woohoo!

Drunk Mac is the most amusing because he leaves us all little puzzles to solve what he's talking about!

:D
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2696 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 May 2021 - 03:04 PM

View PostGorefest, on 12 May 2021 - 11:18 AM, said:

Yeah, so absolutely no point targeting the patents if you don't have a handle on the materials side.

So the bags are just plastic bags of a particular size that have been sterilized... but new manufacturers would have to be 'certified' which takes a long time? And existing manufacturers are unable to increase production quickly?

From some cursory research, the other main bottleneck right now---the lipids---seem to be primarily about 1. producing them from available materials and 2. the US hoarding supplies of them.

Or is this mistaken? I do appreciate the expertise of people here in this or related industries. I'd suppose I should mention I have invested about 0.02% of my portfolio in Chinese biotech, so I do stand to gain a little from sharing mRNA technology, though I don't think it's clouding my attempts at objectivity.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 12 May 2021 - 03:04 PM

#2697 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 May 2021 - 03:06 PM

Vaccines beginning to kick in with over 50% of the population of Ontario with at least a first dose in them, cases (daily and 7-day average) are starting to crater. My gods, this is the most optimistic I've felt in a long time. If this continues, we will get our summer back and finally put COVID in the rear view.

That said, they paused AZ in Ontario...partially due to the "VIPPT" blood clot thing, and probably more that our supply for Pfizer and Moderna is insane and AZ is lacking anyways.

So considering I had AZ as a first shot, it sounds like (based on the eventual results of the studies in the UK of mixing and matching with mRNA vaccines) my second dose (or perhaps a first dose of an mRNA regimen) will be Pfizer instead. So maybe superpowers from Vaccine mixing?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 12 May 2021 - 03:10 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2698 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 May 2021 - 03:35 PM

Numbers plummeting here too. But not in southern Ireland where the rollout is much slower.

Hey anti vaxxers, it's almost

Almost as if something is causing the case numbers to drop.

It must be the beer gardens reopening

#2699 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:34 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 12 May 2021 - 03:04 PM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 12 May 2021 - 11:18 AM, said:

So the bags are just plastic bags of a particular size that have been sterilized... but new manufacturers would have to be 'certified' which takes a long time? And existing manufacturers are unable to increase production quickly?

From some cursory research, the other main bottleneck right now---the lipids---seem to be primarily about 1. producing them from available materials and 2. the US hoarding supplies of them.

Or is this mistaken? I do appreciate the expertise of people here in this or related industries. I'd suppose I should mention I have invested about 0.02% of my portfolio in Chinese biotech, so I do stand to gain a little from sharing mRNA technology, though I don't think it's clouding my attempts at objectivity.

I don't know about lipid manufacture and I don't really know about cGMP certification. I do know about the equivalent for high risk medical devices which is slightly less stringent than for pharmaceutical manufacturing but based on the same principles. You can't just turn this stuff on. It's complex and rigorous and for very good reasons. In our sector we're taking all the short cuts we can to get around the pandemic and get appropriate things on the market fast but there's only so much you can cut before you aren't safe anymore.

High turnover production lines take time and money to be efficient and demonstrably safe. I have to say I'm surprised we aren't running low on needles for delivering vaccines but they were already high volume "simple" products in comparison - I've been in a factory manufacturing them and turnover is fast. The supply chain must be stretched thin though. People in my industry are talking about shortages of basic chemicals or processed raw materials for all sorts of medical tests now because of pandemic workforce effects in South Africa and India. Anywhere there is a skilled cheap labour force provides the basis for manufacturing the raw materials for complex systems the world over.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2700 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 May 2021 - 12:21 AM

If the patent is released, then an entity that can only make a tiny batch of doses can do it. That can staff a small hospital or clinic.

The industrial stuff is where the biggest benefits are incurred, but simply getting some front line staff vaccinated in places like Nepal where much of my family still is makes a huge difference.

People are dying so fast in South Asia right now. Any little bit that can save a life or prevent someone from incurring lifelong medical consequences is something I want done. I've been wanting this all along for everyone on the planet.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 13 May 2021 - 12:56 AM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users