Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#2361 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 January 2021 - 07:16 AM

All construction bar essential stops tomorrow, so we have time to close the site properly then off until Feb at least.

In other news wife and mum got their first shot of the Oxford vaccine last night

#2362 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 January 2021 - 07:38 AM

And we're back to mixed messages.
BBC specifically mentioned my site as being exempt from closing, yet the Irish news (RTE) doesn't mention it.

For some reason foreign direct investment is exempt?

Tell it like it is you slimy fuckers, Facebook are giving you all their filthy money.

#2363 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 07 January 2021 - 08:52 AM

View PostMacros, on 07 January 2021 - 07:38 AM, said:

Tell it like it is you slimy fuckers, Facebook are giving you all their filthy money.

A straight answer from the Boris Broadcasting Corporation? Heaven forfend
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2364 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:31 AM

Oh no no, I mean Varadcar and Martin

#2365 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:08 AM

And in Queensland we have our first community transmission of the UK strain. To a quarantine hotel cleaner who lives on the southern outskirts of Brisbane. Who commuted via train ... :doh:

The Mrs today had to re-postpone the flights for her and the boy to go to Newcastle from 14-24 Jan, as her parents live in the Central Coast council area (south of Newcastle) which is a declared hotspot.
Plus they were going to visit her sister's family in North Sydney ... buh-BOWWWWW. :no
Original flights were for April 2020 school holidays. Dunno when they'll get down there now.
We simply can't afford the cost of paying for their hotel quarantine on return (approx $AUD3000), plus the boy would end up missing the first week and a half of school.

Poo. :(
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2366 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 08 January 2021 - 12:07 AM

Yup, we have just been told we'll (greater Brisbane) be in lockdown for 3 days from 6pm tonight until 6pm Monday.

Annoying but no biggie. We did it for 6 weeks early last year so ... whatever. Fingers crossed this makes a difference though and the panic buying that will be happening today doesn't have the opposite effect and spread it further than would otherwise be the case.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 08 January 2021 - 12:07 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2367 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:05 AM

Triple post!

... aaaand of course with 8+ hours notice of a lockdown, tens of thousands fled the city. Because they couldn't handle a piddly three days in lockdown in their own homes.

Fucking selfish arseholes. You can damn near guarantee with so many, that at least one has the new strain and is taking it to as yet uninfected areas.

I went out for milk and bread earlier and the lines were something else. Everyone was behaving nicely though and kept spacing. I'd say about 25% of us were wearing masks.

I guess we'll see in the next 2 weeks what happens though. I suspect the lockdown will be extended.

#2368 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 January 2021 - 02:43 PM

Wife gets the jab on Saturday. She's health care, but non-front facing for the most part, but her hospital got their doses and have vaccinated everyone else, so she was offered it and is taking it. For me, I've seen I'm (based on age and situation) "stage 2" rollout which is mid-May. Seems far away, but not super far away.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2369 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 08 January 2021 - 03:18 PM

Things are ramping up here. Just the sheer volume. Not necessarily ICU patients, just positives, filling beds everywhere.

Only a matter of days/hours before they overspill into theatres.

Problem is this time is that we've done this before, and have had such shitty experiences being thrown in the deep end that I'm not sure they'll be any staff with any will left to deal with it all again.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#2370 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 09 January 2021 - 10:05 AM

Just got the jab through work. Very slick system and process. No pain or owt.

BK yes that's true it takes two to get to 90% but the first gives you protection and should mean if you do get it you'll avoid the more severe form of the disease once you've got the protection (a few weeks after the first jab).
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#2371 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 09 January 2021 - 12:35 PM

Possibility exists that I might get the first jab next week for Oxford vaccine.

#2372 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 09 January 2021 - 07:10 PM

We did our first week of full time work and home schooling a 4 year old this week. Last school closure lockdown he was too young for school so all we had to do was keep him alive and vaguely civilised. Gordon bennet, it's exhausting. He's not particularly into sitting down so we have to watch the lesson from the teacher (they send pre-recorded short vids) and then adapt it on the fly to keep his attention. And we're not very good at it because y'know, we aren't Early Years trained teachers. Exhausting. Going to sit at my laptop in the afternoon and regulate complex medical tests to a brand new set of Regulations is 1000 times easier than teaching my kid the principle of "one less" and "one more". I've got a PhD damnit, why can't I explain it?!?!

I am remembering why last lockdown I was out cold in bed at 9pm every night.

Anyone you know in the UK refusing a vaccine when offered bloody well beat them senseless from me - I need schools to open!

Oh and edit to add that by the governments criteria I'm a key worker but the school only let kids in with 2 key worker parents. Which I think is right but I sit and mull it over QUITE A LOT when things aren't going well.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 09 January 2021 - 07:12 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2373 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:56 AM

Turns out wife is eligible for second-round vaccinations by way of her job role after all (social carer for special needs adults) - however I am not despite living in the same household as her. Which I kind of expected anyway, but it does mean she'll be jabbed in the next month or two whilst I am likely to not have it until perhaps the late part of this year.

#2374 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 January 2021 - 09:00 AM

Enjoy the extra freedom from Microsoft's control Maark

#2375 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 January 2021 - 09:22 AM

Maybe if he goes out and buys a lot of Microsoft products he'll get upgraded in the control chip vacination line.

#2376 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:43 PM

View PostMacros, on 12 January 2021 - 09:00 AM, said:

Enjoy the extra freedom from Microsoft's control Maark

Drop your sarcasm you have 20 seconds to comply.

They turned me into an ED-209 Bill-spec

#2377 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:52 PM

All lockdown restrictions are being extended to February 7th here in Denmark.

I guess I can continue to enjoy my Corona vacation, as the national economy rushes further down the toilet.

#2378 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:44 PM

i can see my hiatus being extended to, Ireland is leading the charts at the minute

#2379 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:47 PM

One in 27 people in my area has had it currently has COVID by the official stats. I think that's underreporting the true number. There's only 160,000 people in my area.

Where my mother in law lives, the number is 1 in 12 officially.

We need a lockdown and it's not likely to happen for a few weeks.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#2380 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:47 PM

I'd say closing the stable door after the horse has bolted, but that's more like trying to close the door after the barn has burned to the ground

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users