Malazan Empire: The Warlord Chronicles TV adaption - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Warlord Chronicles TV adaption Sounds like it's on!

#21 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:40 AM

God damnit now I have to go try them again

#22 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:47 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 28 July 2020 - 06:31 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 28 July 2020 - 03:01 AM, said:

Just finished reading The Warlord Chronicles and it was fantastic. Not sure I enjoyed more than the Saxon Stories, but I loved it. I've been speaking to TRB a lot about it and I agree that Guinevere is a superbly written character and that Lancelot is the absolute worst. Really glad I read them.

I have been loving the updates!

View PostTraveller, on 28 July 2020 - 05:34 AM, said:

Also love that trilogy. Turning Lancelot into such a slime bag was a masterstroke.
Even having a different, and ultimately better person as protagonist to narrate an idealistic Arthur works really well.

I think when I first read it I just wanted to know Derfels fate, but it's such a good way to end the books. The earlier chapter hints at how it will go down; and I've never forgotten that last line so it must have been good.

Oh and Arthur standing with those flowers in his hand for Guinevere...

Me too! The work with the traditional characters (Guinevere, Nimue, Merlin) is all good but Lancelot is fantastic

The last line has always stayed with me too (even on re-reads I start misting up from Sagramor until the last line) - and that's another great moment.

There are a few that standout actually - Derfel and Arthur reconciling, the end of the Dian chapter, Derfel's conversation with Aelle when Aelle tells him about speaking to the dead through the Stones, and when Merlin tells Derfel to look for the ship, and the last enchantment.

Eurgh, re-read coming on :D

Derfel putting his armour on and storming his homestead to rescue his family.. ah man. Merlin recalls the skinny boy afterwards and compares him to the figure of iron and blood who rescues them. Well, nearly all of them. Good stories evoke strong emotions even recalling them, get misty eyed just thinking of that.

I tried to describe to someone at work the moment in Shogun where Blackthorne decides the only way out of his dilemma is to commit seppuku. And he has to actually really make peace with himself and go for it. Its mind blowing and I found it hard to describe without having to blink a few times.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 28 July 2020 - 12:52 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#23 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:45 PM

View PostMacros, on 28 July 2020 - 06:40 AM, said:

God damnit now I have to go try them again

Book 1, I wasn't that impressed. I disliked most of the characters and couldn't get with the narrative that easily.

Book 2 was a major step up in awesomeness and the characters developed splendidly.

Then Book 3... Oh man... Just amazing.

Stick with it!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic