• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Outer Worlds

#1 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:36 AM

Go on, let's have a thread.

I've only just started out really, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. Companion combat actually works, and can be very entertaining - positioning yourself with an enemy between you, then triggering your companions special move, can have them leaping in with a killing blow from behind, so you can be fighting them face to face and they just disappear in a splat. Plus all the little call outs and comments during combat make it feel like you've got some back up.

Got a nice plasma blade from somewhere, for some searing hot slashes. Been selling or breaking down all the crappy stuff, have only modded some early gear to see how that works. Only gripe so far is the small text on the inventory, and the way the descriptions of items covers the rest of the gear - could do with a tweak on that regard.

Took Pavati out to the ship last night, as she has a lot of location-oriented dialogue - she seemed suitably impressed. I want to finish up any side quests here before fixing the ship up, looking forward to getting it going.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 30 October 2019 - 10:40 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:21 AM

Still haven't left Edge water or done the generator stuff yet. I'm just invading people's homes and stealing stuff.

#3 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:29 AM

I took about 3 missions and ventured out with Pavarti; left the generator one for now. The other missions give you choices for completion - I'm not sure how much the choices will affect things yet. Like, if you decide the old guy is a hypochondriac and sell the meds instead, is he going to die? Or is it just a moral choice that only has an effect on the amount of xp and reward you get?

I really want to off that priest, but I think it will damage my chances of getting any help from anyone.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 30 October 2019 - 11:31 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#4 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:02 AM

Some great dialogue, and generally engaging choices to make.

The game just steered me one way for about an hour, and then made me totally change my plan at the last minute with a few words from my companion. I don't know what the result of my choice will be yet but I feel like I made the right one.

Also I found a plasma rifle which is satisfyingly effective against mechs.

Somehow the priest I wanted to kill has found his way into the crew - he's not quite as obnoxious as I first thought. Now I have Book as well as Kaylee.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 31 October 2019 - 12:02 AM

#5 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:27 AM

View PostBfuckinK, on 30 October 2019 - 02:35 PM, said:

Which system has this free if you what on it?

I heard that if you put a helmet on your companion you can't ever see their face again. They should patch that imo.

There's an option in the menu to turn off helmets, though they're removed in conversations and stuff anyways.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:27 AM

Played a few more hours.

I don't like the combat at all. The guns have no feel or oomph to them. I can't really tell the difference between a shock canon or an assault rifle or a light machine gun. And when you're fighting one of the heavy marauder leaders there's no real strategy to it other than trying to put a corner between you and them and wittling away at their health bar with a weapon that doesn't really stagger them or have much effect.

I have gotten around this now though by beefing up a light machine gun and putting an electricity effect on it. It melts most things fairly fast now and stuns them randomly.

The exploration and looting is great though and thankfully they're good about placing vendor machine randomly around the map, so you can unload all those weapons you're constantly finding.

#7 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:08 AM

There really is a shit-ton of loot. I mostly break it up for bits.

As far as combat goes I'm doing a lot of jumping in with a plasma cutter, dodging around and using the time slow to get in close. There seems to be a lot of variety and combinations of weapons though, along with the mods and tweaks to power them up. Haven't explored it much yet; I think I took out most of the mechs in the geothermal plant using a hammer, just because it was fun smashing them up.

#8 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 03 November 2019 - 07:50 AM

Spent some time on the ship now it's repaired, and cleared the first set of tasks on the Groundbreaker.

This is the first game for me where the focus has been more on the characters and team than the exploration and combat. Ok there is exploration and combat, but its second fiddle to the dialogue and interactions as a way of progressing.

I liked Mass Effect, but even by ME2 the team interaction was clearly a mechanic - find person, recruit person, do a mission for person, have an extra mission for further involvement with character.

This feels way more natural. There's always around 5 or 6 dialogue options. I've managed to talk my way through quite a few situations now where I could have gone in fighting, and the help you get from companions when making decisions is useful.

It's also the closest Firefly homage ever; I just like walking round the ship, leaving food in the fridge, organising the weapons lockers, chatting to the crew, and looking out the window at whatever system we're in.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 03 November 2019 - 04:22 PM

#9 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:22 PM

So I've finished my first playthrough.

I enjoyed the game quite a bit, the story was interesting enough.

Game feels a little short. They did say they were trying to make it more about replayability than like 100-hour length, but it still feels short, especially compared to the fallout series and even the dragon age games.

However I can see how my choices affected the ending. The combat was... as good as combat in fallout has ever been, so I can't really bag on it but it certainly isn't some kind of amazing new combat system that every game needs to move to. That said, their blocking/dodging system is new for this type of game.

I guess the thing I missed the most was the ability to upgrade/change your ship, and to see the settlements you helped get better over time? For instance, the Saltuna Cannery, if I kept helping them and doing quests and stuff, I'd like to see it look more prosperous and stuff.

I do like the choices you make without enough information, because that's how it would actually be, and how they can have some un-anticipated affects.

I love the world building they've done, and the late stage capitalism really shows through, and it's a pretty funny.

I'd give it 7.5/10 on first playthrough (on normal). That might go up as I go through it more and explore choosing different choices.

One of my guys at work had his companion leave him because of something he did in game, which I thought was really interesting.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#10 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:22 AM

I'm falling into the same trap as usual with these games. That is, look online to find out if I've missed something, realise there are specific hidden collectables and possibly a mission or two I've overlooked, and then begin playing in a different way - looking for things, trying to complete missions in the best way possible etc.

I just realised what I was doing when instead of playing it like an rpg, I was searching for a sign to stick up on the wall in the ship. So.. instead of now systematically working through missions and trying to collect everything, I'm not looking anymore, I'll get back to playing this more naturally. If I miss stuff I'll miss it; if I screw up a mission choice I'll live with it.

#11 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:38 PM

I played this for about two hours before uninstalling. Great writing and acting but the gameplay was just... not enjoyable at all. That time slow mechanic was horrendous.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#12 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:20 PM

I'm not gripped with the gameplay.

#13 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 28 November 2019 - 08:09 AM

Witcher 3 taught me a lesson there - a game can be as well written and acted as it likes, but without a core of enjoyable gameplay, it just isn't worth the hours.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users