• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone else not excited for this? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:29 PM

These shenanigans make BookDepository look terrible and, well, even if as I speculate they were shafted by supply issues they clearly have messed the thing up with communicating with their customers...

...but for Malazan fans this is a good thing because it suggests the book sold, and even pre-sold, way better than the publishers expected and the print run was simply not big enough.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#22 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 July 2021 - 12:34 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 26 July 2021 - 06:29 PM, said:

These shenanigans make BookDepository look terrible and, well, even if as I speculate they were shafted by supply issues they clearly have messed the thing up with communicating with their customers...

...but for Malazan fans this is a good thing because it suggests the book sold, and even pre-sold, way better than the publishers expected and the print run was simply not big enough.

Book Depository is definitely not the same since it was bought by Amazon. I'm surprised Amazon haven't simply shut it down and shunted people to Amazon itself instead.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#23 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 01 August 2021 - 06:47 PM

View PostWerthead, on 31 July 2021 - 12:34 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 26 July 2021 - 06:29 PM, said:

Book Depository is definitely not the same since it was bought by Amazon. I'm surprised Amazon haven't simply shut it down and shunted people to Amazon itself instead.

What? When? I was already wondering why two books that I had ordered showed up within a week, it was always at least two weeks before. Then again another book that I had ordered along with those books took almost three weeks to arrive while all three were in stock.
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#24 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 02 August 2021 - 06:01 PM

View PostDutch, on 01 August 2021 - 06:47 PM, said:

What? When? I was already wondering why two books that I had ordered showed up within a week, it was always at least two weeks before. Then again another book that I had ordered along with those books took almost three weeks to arrive while all three were in stock.

Fucking ages ago. Like ten years I think.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 02 August 2021 - 06:01 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#25 User is offline   Mythodikal 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 August 2021 - 05:56 AM

So I just got back from a few days of vacation that I was off the grid. At a camp with my favorite reading chair, a good bottle of scotch, and for the first time in years.... a new Steven Erikson novel!

When the idea of this novel came out, obviously I was not excited. As I read the information that came out ahead of time, I became more and more intrigued.

I will say this right now... I WAS WRONG!!! Everyone should be excited to read this book. This was the SE that I fell in love with! The characters and dialogue from the marines. The big world events brought to you through the eyes of so many different view points. The building of characters that it was totally OK to both like and dislike at the same time.

Most importantly, there were layers of story telling. There was A LOT of really dark shit in this book. There was also a lot of banter, comedy, action, surprise cameos. In the late stages of MBotF and definitely the Karkanas books everyone is so introspective, everyone is a philosopher. I found this to have once again found that balance of introspective brilliance that can come just as easily from a paragraph long diatribe of "philosophy" as it can from 3 heavies playing dumb with a bunch of 3 to 5 word sentences.

So, once again... I stand corrected. This book was brilliant!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users