• You cannot reply to this topic

TI4 Game 4C - Chat Thread

#3741 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:56 PM

View Posttwelve, on 15 May 2020 - 04:53 PM, said:

View PostImperial Historian, on 14 May 2020 - 11:23 AM, said:

Yeah, I don't think there was any kingmaking going on, for me kingmaking is doing something which has no benefit to you but let's someone else win.

I don't think that has happened here, people have tried to stop others winning to try and gain more points in order to give themselves a chance to win/maximise points. I think everyone has been acting in there own self interest to try and maxmise there points.

A key part of this game is managing other players, anyone who looks like they are going to win immediately becomes a target, that isn't kingmaking that's an inbuilt gamebalancing mechanism. Any victories I've had have either come from a surprising path to victory that no-one expected, or by winning despite everyone on the board throwing everything they could at me. I'm not denying I contributed in directing attention away from me to you and d'rek though! Chaos is a ladder after all :)

I think you played well Toaster, and it's a shame you aren't playing again, you were very close to winning.

All that said I don't object to kingmaking, it's a viable tool in the diplomatic arsenal, for example some player I know if I screwed them over would go out of there way to make sure I didn't win, and is probably one of the better mechanisms to help keep players honest.

Given my past form though I'm surprised that more people didn't try and apply direct pressure to me to reduce my scoring options, I think D'rek and Twelve both guessed I had spark, but nothing really came of it.

Frankly I didnt figure you had spark until midway through the last round and I didnt care. My shot was as you all correctly guessed was the wormhole secret. My realistic chance at winning was blown up many times this game. First when D'rek prevented me scoring control the region and I was forced to score the pds secret. Then again when D'rek blew up my fleet with a miracle rolls of the die and then finally when Nom pds my cruiser to micro dust. Losing Rex earlier in the game was probably a blessing in disguise but I definitely felt behind the 8 ball most of the game.

You did have it after all despite all those protestations you didn't!

I am shocked, shocked I tell you. :o

Thanks Nom.

#3742 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:53 PM

I wasn't lieing that I threw it away at the beginning of the game. I just got lucky and drew it again and I just said that I wasn't able to score it as I correctly predicted that I would be stopped from scoring it. Drek messing up my order of secrets being scored forced me to to spend way too many CT and reduced my fleet so low that I had no way to stall or bring enough ships to keep over wormholes. I knew her aggressive play style and being the nekro as my neighbor was a much bigger obstacle to me winning than your playstyle IH.

Congrats on your win. No way Nom will be able to kill enough troops to stop you. I just wish he focused all his efforts on you before going after my cruiser. That was the king maker move of the game. Picking you over me.
I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds good.

#3743 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:57 PM

Your cruiser not dying in a hail of PDS shots when it attacked really threw me off, I was sure I'd lost after that.

#3744 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 May 2020 - 04:30 PM

So my understanding is it's tapper to go? Though i think we still need a few combats resolving.

#3745 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:11 PM

Trying to actually get this map update done. Sorry guys, I've been really slacking off on this lately (not that there's a lot of paying attention going on at this point, I think)...

Anyway....

Morgoth:

View PostMorgoth, on 30 April 2020 - 05:40 AM, said:

Leadership secondary - Exhaust Mallice for 1 token in strategy.

CURRENT STATUS

Victory Points: 9 (6 PO,2 SO, 1 sftt)

Strategy Card: Politics
Command Pools: 3T | 6F | 0S

You were at 2/6/0 previous turn, added one to strategy per above, then put yourself at 3/6/0 rather than 2/6/1. I'm gonna put you at 2/6/1 on the map update. Please let me know if you meant to put the token in Tactical after all.

#3746 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:56 PM

I'm still checking the thread obsessively every 10 minutes, there just isn't much to say :p

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3747 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 May 2020 - 03:31 PM

Thanks Blend, FYI I have infantry 2 so I should get to roll to see if my infantry regenerate on my homeworld

#3748 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:44 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 21 May 2020 - 03:31 PM, said:

Thanks Blend, FYI I have infantry 2 so I should get to roll to see if my infantry regenerate on my homeworld

Sorry about that, missed the infantry 2. Luckily it didn't otherwise change the results of the battle. So both your infantry survived, can be placed at the beginning of your next turn.

#3749 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 May 2020 - 06:40 AM

Woop, gained infantry after that attack and kept the planet :)

#3750 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 22 May 2020 - 06:42 AM

bah
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#3751 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:29 AM

Tapper up?

#3752 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 26 May 2020 - 01:33 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 19 May 2020 - 04:30 PM, said:

So my understanding is it's tapper to go? Though i think we still need a few combats resolving.

I will pass - sorry for dropping out like this for over a week. Everything is chaos with three colleagues leaving the company in very quick succession (and I'll likely be number four).
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#3753 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 May 2020 - 01:46 PM

View PostTapper, on 26 May 2020 - 01:33 PM, said:

View PostImperial Historian, on 19 May 2020 - 04:30 PM, said:

I will pass - sorry for dropping out like this for over a week. Everything is chaos with three colleagues leaving the company in very quick succession (and I'll likely be number four).

Ouch, that sucks. Good luck!

#3754 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:47 PM

And then...?!

(Or, you know, IH just built more infantry that no one can possibly get to in his HW... can Blend just call it?!)

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3755 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 May 2020 - 10:18 PM

I think that's it

#3756 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 29 May 2020 - 11:32 AM

pheew. Congrats IH, you cruel TI4 monster. For a moment I thought I had the victory, and then you casually stroll in with your fancy suit and your polished shoes and tap dance all over my dreams.

#3757 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 May 2020 - 03:09 PM

I was very disappointed that Nom didnt use all his available actions to try and kill IHs' troops when it was known that was his win con and essentially chose IH over me as the victor. But for having such a shit slice to work with I'm happy with how I was oh so close to the win myself. I assume we just need to do the status phase scoring to make it official?

#3758 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 29 May 2020 - 03:11 PM

View Posttwelve, on 29 May 2020 - 03:09 PM, said:

I was very disappointed that Nom didnt use all his available actions to try and kill IHs' troops when it was known that was his win con and essentially chose IH over me as the victor. But for having such a shit slice to work with I'm happy with how I was oh so close to the win myself. I assume we just need to do the status phase scoring to make it official?

What do you think about playing the Arborec? I quite enjoyed them, but felt I wanted to try them again utilizing all I learned the first time.

#3759 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 May 2020 - 03:22 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 29 May 2020 - 03:11 PM, said:

View Posttwelve, on 29 May 2020 - 03:09 PM, said:

What do you think about playing the Arborec? I quite enjoyed them, but felt I wanted to try them again utilizing all I learned the first time.

I've enjoyed them myself but their super reliance in their infantry and their super slow start makes their early game so important. I lucked out by getting cruiser II so early that it helps fix their mobility problem. I highly recommend that tech path.

#3760 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 May 2020 - 04:40 PM

Yeah you were unlucky twelve, you were very close to the win. I knew when I made a deal to give you that SO that you'd be in a good position to finish, but gambled that I'd be able to go before you in the running order and it would give me a lot more PO possibilities. Was glad your ship got wiped out (though I think if noms flagship had fired all it's shots the first time you would probably have been unable to score it anyway)

I don't think nom could have stopped me whatever he did, I just had too many infantry

Thought the general standard of play was a lot higher this game, with at least 5 people in a position where they could have won this round.

Looking forward to the next game!

Share this topic:

• 189 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users