Malazan Empire: Book Club: Claire North's "84K": WEEK 3 - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1

Book Club: Claire North's "84K": WEEK 3 Discussion of p. 200-300, no later book spoilers

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 September 2019 - 02:56 PM

Tomorrow starts week three of our five week read-through of 84K.

We're reading from roughly p. 200 to p. 300 or from 40%-60%.

Feel free to discuss the past weeks without spoilers. Any discussion for the last 40% needs to be spoiler boxed.

What did you think of last weeks section?

Where do you think the story is going?

What do you think of the characters?

What do you think about North's world building?

What do you think of the prose?

Discuss.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 01 September 2019 - 02:58 PM

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 01 September 2019 - 03:01 PM

Just wrapped up week 2.

I can't say I love this book. It's a fascinating setting but it's all a bit much. And I loath the style of writing North is using in this book.

As much as I loved Harry August, this book feels like a completely different author wrote it.

Still the dystopian world of privatization keeps me interested.

#3 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 September 2019 - 03:20 PM

Yeah it's got a massively different feel to Harry August and also A Sudden Appearance of Hope which I also loved.

When you say "It's a bit much" what do you mean by that? Is it just the writing style or is it the fact that nothing is given away and progress seems slow?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 01 September 2019 - 03:48 PM

No, it's more the dreariness. This is one of those tales where the odds seem so stacked and the world so grim that it's uncomfortable to keep reading. I don't like stories with no hope.

And I really do think the kind of system described in this book is hopeless. Even if, by the end of this book, somebody, somehow brought The Company low, the lasting impact on society and culture is a permanent scar.

Britain is utterly fucked.

EDIT: Mind you, as I understand it, Britain still retains a lot of cultural and class artifacts of the class based society your country used to be divided into. Maybe that makes North's vision less alien and more prescient to a brit. But I find it hard to see how this future Britain isn't locked on a dark path for generations to come.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 01 September 2019 - 04:13 PM

#5 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 01 September 2019 - 04:47 PM

View PostAptorian, on 01 September 2019 - 03:48 PM, said:

No, it's more the dreariness. This is one of those tales where the odds seem so stacked and the world so grim that it's uncomfortable to keep reading. I don't like stories with no hope.

And I really do think the kind of system described in this book is hopeless. Even if, by the end of this book, somebody, somehow brought The Company low, the lasting impact on society and culture is a permanent scar.

Britain is utterly fucked.

EDIT: Mind you, as I understand it, Britain still retains a lot of cultural and class artifacts of the class based society your country used to be divided into. Maybe that makes North's vision less alien and more prescient to a brit. But I find it hard to see how this future Britain isn't locked on a dark path for generations to come.

Agree on the dreariness. I don't think there is any realistic way back from this short of a complete collapse and an utter reconstruction.

Also, re: the remnants of old society, I got the same feeling when reading V for Vendetta. Unlike America which sees dystopias as fragmentation, in Britain you get the feeling that there is this sleeping authoritarian beast and it only needs to be awakened. The bones of the past lurk underneath the present

#6 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:32 AM

As a Brit I find this book far too realistic tbh. Especially with the rise of far right racist ideologies and the people now running the country very much the type to try and privatise everything for a profit. Heck private security companies have been taking on roles the police used to do and some medical centres have gone from being NHS to private.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 03 September 2019 - 04:56 PM

I made it a little over 50% last week, so I held off a bit so as to not get too far ahead (and like, I've been super busy as well.) If it wasn't so compellingly-readable, I might be upset by the "nothing given away/no progress" thing.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 03 September 2019 - 04:56 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#8 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:33 AM

Starting week 3 reading now

#9 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 06 September 2019 - 12:20 PM

Ok, half way through and it's at the books break 'twixt part one and two.

So things have actually taken a bit of an upturn on pace now.
But the very end was depressing for me:

Spoiler

#10 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 06 September 2019 - 03:05 PM

I was kind of hoping the Part One/Two split would be where the flashbacks catch up to the "present day", but no, still waiting on that...

Also, I was very confused by the chapter where Theo encountered Andy. I read it twice, partly because it was the last chapter I read before setting the book aside for a couple of days (I was getting ahead of the Club), and partly because I was having trouble following the back and forth dialogue.
Spoiler

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:07 PM

I'm about 50% into the book.

This concept of the ragers I find kind of novel. The idea of roaming dispossessed raging at the universe, life and everyone around them. It's kinda Zen in a violent kind of way.

Also sorta Mad Max.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 07 September 2019 - 12:07 PM

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:11 PM

View PostMacros, on 06 September 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

Ok, half way through and it's at the books break 'twixt part one and two.

So things have actually taken a bit of an upturn on pace now.
But the very end was depressing for me:

Spoiler

I still thought it was a bit callous when it's going on in your own nation.

But then again the man's a smuggler. Not the most charitable of sorts.

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 06 September 2019 - 03:05 PM, said:

I was kind of hoping the Part One/Two split would be where the flashbacks catch up to the "present day", but no, still waiting on that...

Also, I was very confused by the chapter where Theo encountered Andy. I read it twice, partly because it was the last chapter I read before setting the book aside for a couple of days (I was getting ahead of the Club), and partly because I was having trouble following the back and forth dialogue.
Spoiler

Spoiler

#13 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:23 AM

Ok,

Finished up to page 300ish.

And This may sound weird but I'm on Holidays in SA at the minute and it's made this book even grimmer for me.
In Joburg all of the people I'm meeting live in walled compounds, or little enclaves with electric fences and walls around their houses.
Fucking electric fences around their houses. This is so bizarre to me, and really made 84k even more depressingly possible seeking.

But back to the book,
Spoiler

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users