Malazan Empire: My thoughts after first read - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My thoughts after first read

#1 Guest_burns sleep_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 05 December 2004 - 04:31 AM

I've just finished GOTM and thought this was the best place to hang my thoughts.

I was attracted to this series by the cover of House Of Chains. I promptly picked that up and checked out the list of novels -- bought them and started at the beginning.

My first thoughts on the first book are that i am so glad this story doesn't begin with the LOTR cliche of some nice wooded place with pleasant villagers who's world is about to change as they're off on some quest. Hurrah!

Second thing i love is we're not starting this story at point A -- it feels like it's somewhere round about M! There's so much gone before that i can't wait to read about.

I love that we have a very developed civilisation for a mythical era novel. The Empire is a huge beast stretched to it's limits (reminds me of the Roman Empire) no wonder it's beginning to collapse on itself!

There are unique species -- none of your orcs, elves and dwarves stuff. There's nothing wrong with that when it's done properly but i'm really loving a break from that sort of stuff.

There's a new take on magic -- Warrens are equally compelling and a bit strange. I like it and want to know more.

And the involment of Gods -- fantastic. Just like Grek legends that i loved as a kid. Most authors tackle religion as being similar to our world . Erikson brings the whole thing into play in the story. This is my favourite aspect of these novels.

My main criticism is i felt there was just a lack of description about somethings -- mostly around the Gods and Warrens but i've started Deadhouse Gates and already feel the description has cranked up a notch (perhaps the reason for the increased word and page count?) but i've definately fallen for the Malazan Empire it's histories and myths. I read on with great relish and anticipation.

For GOTM i'd give 9 out of 10.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users