Malazan Empire: Book Club: Claire North's "84K": WEEK 2 - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1

Book Club: Claire North's "84K": WEEK 2

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:06 PM

Week 2 of 5 is upon us.

This week we read from roughly pages 100-200, or what ever fits with your chapters or percentages on your ebook.

What did you think of last week? What do you think of the book so far? Where do you think the story is going?

I'm not exactly in love with the books writing style. The paragraph jumps between sentences, the words left unwritten. There's rules damn it!

I also care little for "Theo's" younger years. I understand the narrative device but I want more present day depression and uprising.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 26 August 2019 - 07:10 PM

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:12 PM

“Government raises taxes to subsidise business. That’s what economic planning means.”

This is a heck of a statement.

#3 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 August 2019 - 02:46 PM

Yes the style is very hard to get along with but for me it adds to the uncomfortable tone of the content. Once I got past the writing style I really got into the swing of it. It truly is a hard book to "like" but it is really fascinating.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:27 AM

I've felt the opposite of Apt so far: I've been enjoying the Theo flashbacks more than the present day stuff, 'cause, well, the present is mostly just him and Neila (?) sitting on a boat. (Though that looks to be changing now.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#5 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 28 August 2019 - 03:31 PM

"Illegal but affordable"
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#6 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 September 2019 - 03:09 PM

Read a little.bit on the plane before take off. Then nap time, I struggle to stay awake on flights now I've conditioned myself so well to drop off to sleep on them.

Hoping to catch up week 2 tonight or tomorrow evening. Doing some work now.
Then will be up to speed for week 3

#7 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:32 AM

Ok, caught up on week 2

Things are starting to get interesting. My thoughts on my prediction, whilst it may not play out to the letter, in spirit it will I still think.

Not entirely sure what Markse is playing at
Spoiler

But the tone is unremittingly bleak, and, for me, increasingly plausible on the low end of the scale because it's already what rich people do to an extent. Throw money and make a problem disappear.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users