Malazan Empire: All my mmeories are in third person - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All my mmeories are in third person are yours

Poll: All my mmeories are in third person (15 member(s) have cast votes)

My memories are in

1. First Person (11 votes [73.33%])

Percentage of vote: 73.33%

2. Third Person (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

3. A mixture (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:57 AM

View PostCause, on 06 August 2019 - 09:36 AM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 06 August 2019 - 09:32 AM, said:

Perhaps you should go visit your local Scientology office and get them to do an e-meter reading. The thetans inside you might be restless.

I would rather be a Manchurian candidate, at least I could still respect myself.

Hail Hydra

Hail high house Hydra
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#22 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:27 PM

Next time you think of a memory, try to check if you're getting a bald spot.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#23 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:35 AM

View Postworry, on 06 August 2019 - 08:27 PM, said:

Next time you think of a memory, try to check if you're getting a bald spot.

In all serious its not like I'm running a movie and checking out what happened. Its more like I remember where I stood, where everyone else stood, the rough idea of the location and who said what and when. Its like a flash of all that information at once in a general form. I know my friend Dave was on my left but the 'dave' in my memory is like a concept. He is not a fully fleshed out picture or movie. If I focus on that aspect of the memory I can maybe recall details of what he was wearing etc but honestly I don't really care about that so I don't know. He wont be naked in my memory but at the same time I cant say what he is wearing.

On the other hand memories involving past girlfriends where I might have had more reason to care about how they looked I can recall details of what they were wearing but that's not to say that they appear more fleshed out in my memories. Its something I d have to think about to. I guess it depends on what I am focusing on. If I'm just remembering a conversation we had in my car, ill remember my car, I was driving, she was in passenger seat and what was said and when. I wouldn't be able to remember the scenery of what we were driving past. That is absent from the memory but its lack doesn't seem odd our missing until you think about it.

#24 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:31 PM

It actually has me asking people I know off board how their memories work. So far nobody else (small sample though) has said they experience observer perspective. How are your dreams, btw?

#25 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:39 AM

View Postworry, on 07 August 2019 - 06:31 PM, said:

It actually has me asking people I know off board how their memories work. So far nobody else (small sample though) has said they experience observer perspective. How are your dreams, btw?

My dreams are the same, though I remember so few of them. I cant remember when I last had a good dream. Still their is a character in my dreams who I know is me, who wanders around the dream doing things, that I know is me doing them.

Last serious dream I recall was after I played the video game 'prey'. That game really impressed me and I had a dream inspired by it where I was on a space station exploring it, the clearest memory I have of the dream is me exploring a virtual glass simulation of mars within the space station within my dream.

I should add that when I recall scenes from a movie or something, its not third person perspective of me watching the movie, but its also not first person perspective of the movie. I can recall details of the scene but the picture just is. It isn't part of a movie screen or a tv. Its not as I saw it, its just my best recollection of the movie scene as it was.

I also wonder if I have a bad visual memory and if maybe that influences how I remember things. I know what my friend dave looks like, if I see him I will recognize him. I wont have any doubts. If you asked me to describe him to a sketch artist I don't think I could. I often wonder how anyone can. I guess sketch artists have training to help you but I just cant see myself able to do it.

#26 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:28 PM

That's pretty fascinating! Perhaps it's related, but not exactly like, Prosopagnosia. The fact that there might be regional/cultural elements to the memory thing is neat too. I'd love to learn more about this.

On an unrelated note, Abyss, please ready your calipers and forceps.

#27 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:15 PM

I keep thinking about this and I think I have worked out that my memories aren't quite in the third person but also not the first person either. It's like a marginal out-of-body thing. I see everything from the perspective I saw originally but I can also look back and see myself a little bit. It's like I know what I was wearing and I how I was sitting/standing etc. It's really weird and I never thought about it before. It's freaking me out.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#28 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:15 AM

View PostBfuckinK, on 27 August 2019 - 06:41 PM, said:

So how does 3rd person memory go for sex?

Like watching your own home made pr0n, I would expect.

:blink: :popo: :gando: :unsure:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#29 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:54 AM

View PostBfuckinK, on 27 August 2019 - 06:41 PM, said:

So how does 3rd person memory go for sex?

I analyze my technique, I check all the angles. I improvise, improve and adapt!

One weird thing about 3rd person memories I realized is that my memories have an orientation. I can separate my memories of my 2017 may hospital visit from my 2017 July hospital visit because the orientation of the hospital rooms are different. I don't know why I do this, I don't think I always know where north is or anything like that and my memories orientations I'm sure are just random. However one memory for example has my bed against the 'west' wall and the other has my bed against the 'east' wall.

#30 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:18 PM

Shouldn't the thread title have been "All his memories are in the third person?"
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#31 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 August 2019 - 03:40 PM

Just putting this out there, and you if you've ever sat down and done a session with a therapist or a psychologists they can confirm, most memories recalled from a 3rd person perspective stem from trauma.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users