Malazan Empire: Book Club: Slaughterhouse 5 WEEK 1 - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1

Book Club: Slaughterhouse 5 WEEK 1 Only Chapter 1-5 No later chapter discussion

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:16 AM

It's august 1st. Time to crack some spines and warm up your e-readers (Please don't actually crack book spines, it's barbaric).

This is WEEK 1 of the the two week Slaughterhouse 5 book club.

This week (August 1st-7th) we read chapters 1-5 and next week (August 8th-14th) we read chapters 6-10.

It just occurred to me that it makes no sense to start a week on a Thursday but I just went with the first day of the month, oh well.

We also have yet to come to any kind of consensus about what to read next. There's three votes for 84K by Claire North and two votes for "Something with Ursula K Leguin". Unless somebody makes any better suggestions, I say we read 84K next and then pick a Ursula book as the third read.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 01 August 2019 - 08:02 AM

#2 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:14 AM

Will hopefully read the first 5 chapters today

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:10 AM

It's not a contest!

#4 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:20 AM

I know, but I'm still gonna win

#5 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:44 AM

Up to chapter 3 already it's strange... The first chapter was more or less the narrator introducing himself. Then it gets a bit sci-fi! Not sure I like Billy Pilgrim because they've made him seem like a mentally disabled idiot to an extent. Eh, I'm enjoying it!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:06 PM

My plan is to read 5 if not more chapters this (long) weekend, but I'll be away while doing-so so you won't get any chapter-by-chapter reactions from me. See you Tuesday!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#7 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:14 PM

Finished chapter 4 and I'm getting to grips with the sightly disjointed and snappy segments that make up every chapter. Beginning to really fly through it tbh.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 August 2019 - 07:52 PM

Just started up Slaughterhouse 5. The kindle version I bought comes with a foreword by some asshole who in a paragraph tells the whole books story.

What the fuck is that about? This is the litterary equivalent of watching a Hollywood trailer!

:)

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 02 August 2019 - 07:53 PM

#9 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:15 PM

Oh man spoilers before the book even starts?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:06 PM

Yes. What has the world come to!

Anyway, I'm only in chapter 1. Just read the bit about the Children's Crusade:

O’Hare and I gave up on remembering, went into the living room, talked about other things. We became curious about the real Children’s Crusade, so O’Hare looked it up in a book he had, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, by Charles Mackay, LL. D. It was first published in London in 1841. Mackay had a low opinion of all Crusades. The Children’s Crusade struck him as only slightly more sordid than the ten Crusades for grown-ups. O’Hare read this handsome passage out loud: History in her solemn page informs us that the crusaders were but ignorant and savage men, that their motives were those of bigotry unmitigated, and that their pathway was one of blood and tears. Romance, on the other hand, dilates upon their piety and heroism, and portrays, in her most glowing and impassioned hues, their virtue and magnanimity, the imperishable honor they acquired for themselves, and the great services they rendered to Christianity. And then O’Hare read this: Now what was the grand result of all these struggles? Europe expended millions of her treasures, and the blood of two million of her people; and a handful of quarrelsome knights retained possession of Palestine for about one hundred years! Mackay told us that the Children’s Crusade started in 1213, when two monks got the idea of raising armies of children in Germany and France, and selling them in North Africa as slaves. Thirty thousand children volunteered, thinking they were going to Palestine. They were no doubt idle and deserted children who generally swarm in great cities, nurtured on vice and daring, said Mackay, and ready for anything. Pope Innocent the Third thought they were going to Palestine, too, and he was thrilled. “These children are awake while we are asleep!” he said. Most of the children were shipped out of Marseilles, and about half of them drowned in shipwrecks. The other half got to North Africa where they were sold. Through a misunderstanding, some children reported for duty at Genoa, where no slave ships were waiting. They were fed and sheltered and questioned kindly by good people there—then given a little money and a lot of advice and sent back home. “Hooray for the good people of Genoa,” said Mary O’Hare.

WTF. I'd never heard about that. Had to go read the Wikipedia article.

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:46 PM

Started chapter four. So far I'm not sure what I think about this book. It's a curious story but I can't say I am particularly enamored with the telling.

However from the opening of chapter 4 I suppose weird stuff is about to happen.

Chapter 4 spoiler
Spoiler

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:15 PM

God, chapter 5 is nearly 50 pages long. What the hell?

#13 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:29 PM

Finished Chapter 5.

Can't say I'm in love with the book. I think I would like it more with out the aliens.

Spoiler

#14 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:30 PM

I like the alien element and I'm still wondering if he's insane or not, I don't think the aliens take away from that. I loved the scene in the zoo where he is talking about peace and war etc.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#15 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 06 August 2019 - 01:32 PM

Yeah, this doesn't seem all that mysterious to me,
Spoiler

I kinda thought it'd have more of a sci-fi mysterious machinations element to it. And since it doesn't, I'm a bit uncertain what to make of it. War is bad and we send kids to it who get traumatized for life, sure, but that doesn't seem like that complex of a theme... is there more to this?

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#16 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:45 PM

Well AFAIK it was written to be an anti-war novelso maybe that's as simple as it needs to be?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#17 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:17 PM

Tiste Simeon, on 06 August 2019 - 02:45 PM, said:

Well AFAIK it was written to be an anti-war novelso maybe that's as simple as it needs to be?

I guess it's that and also a bit of a dark/absurdist comedy sorta thing. But it so far feels a bit, I dunno, insubstantial compared to other classic anti-war novels?

#18 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:19 PM

Well, we're still missing the second half.

Maybe the other shoe will drop.

#19 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:23 PM

Yeah I presume we will bounce back and forth in the time-hopping forward as a war prisoner and backward in the post-war until they meet at the bombing of Dresden as the climax of the book.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users