Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

First read thoughts

#1 User is offline   Raz4starr 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:50 PM

First of all, let me just say, WOW! This is in my opinion by far the best book in the series so far. I think it has the most beautiful writing, the most robust story, the most interesting setting and so, so much worldbuilding and context. I also love the slow pace and the more contemplative tone (by the way, the novel is really deep, especially at an emotional level), although I can see why this book can alienate some readers. However, I think that if I had started from this book, I would have appreciated the series even more.

Regarding the writing, I have noticed that the writing in this series goes hand in hand with how interesting each continent is. To me, Genabackis seems like a pretty generic and typical fantasy continent. This might be because GotM and MoI don't really focus on the continent's past, at least not as much as Erikson does with Seven Cities, where its history and past are brought up again and again. But what can I say about the continent of Lether? This is an amazing place, stuck in the past in more ways than one, dark, threatening, where terrible events have taken place and still keep happening. This is the most immersed I've been in the series thus far. I love the dark and brooding tone as well, and big props to Erikson for being able to make the Letheras characters work in such a dark novel (not perfectly, but well enough to not break the immersion).

As for the story, nothing is really resolved, or at least no character has found closure (except the really dead ones). No big questions are answered (Kettle, Nameless Ones, Hold of the Dead, the realtionship between the Hold, the Azath and Gothos' spell if there is one, the Empty Hold, the Errant's plan, the Rat Catchers' guild etc.), and this is why I can't wait to get through the Bonehunters and come back to this storyline in Reaper's Gale. Normally, I would have a myriad of questions, but I've been used to it by now and I trust that Erikson will answer them in time. The only real question I have is about the giant story at the start of the novel. Does this refer to a jade giant that came with the Fall and the ocean and the waves changed its form? Also, just a throw, but could The Pack's death have something to do with the convergence taking place in Deadhouse Gates?

And the only problem I have with the story is the part where Seren and Buruk run from the Edur. And my question is: why does Buruk run? He's made the decision to commit suicide, so why does he not just wait for the Edur to kill him? If he wants to die in his home, Erikson should have indirectly told us. Also, why does Seren feel so guilty for Buruk's death? We have no indication that they were close, except for his advances which Seren turns down. Following the same logic, why does he have to drug Seren? Why would he think that she would try to stop him? These questions (minor plotholes in my opinion) stem from the fact that Seren is not a well developed character in my opinion. We do get some glimpses of her character, but not enough to be able to understand her actions. I think there should have been a little more context on her relationship with Hull, to understand the extend of her guilt and why would it manifest after Buruk's suicide. Even her rape is not really handled that well. If Erikson is trying to show us how private of a person Seren is, it's working, but it's also confusing for the reader. Oh, I should probably say that I failed to see the purpose of some characters and events in the novel. Why was Gerun Eberict in the novel? The only reason I can think of, is that he was an impersonation of the evils of Letherii civilization, but I don't think he was needed. The same goes for Shand, Hejun and Rissarh. I don't think they were needed for Tehol to take action, he could have realized what he needed to do by himself. Unless of course they play a role later in the series.

As for characters, I think the character work in this novel is kind of lacking, but I really love Trull. He's incredibly relatable. His going against the flow, his honesty, his reason, his wisdom. I also mourn for Brys (effin Errant, so much for being an observer) and the Ceda. I can't feel any sympathy for Rhulad (I don't think Erikson really tries), but I can kind of understand Mayen. She was immature and weak. She found herself in an impossible situation, tried to make the best of it and failed. She was not a nice person by any measure, but I think she is still a tragic figure. Comparing her to Felisin, I think Felisin is an infinitely deeper character, but Mayen is a lot more sympathetic.

#2 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:13 PM

Regarding Buruk: I think there's a difference between wanting to die and wanting to die by being torn apart by evil shadows. Up until the actual end he chose to slowly drink himself to death rather than an abrupt violent end. I also think he wanted to see Seren to safety in Lether whether out of love or duty. Also, as to the drugging, her subsequent actions after waking up show she would have tried to stop Buruk.

#3 User is offline   Raz4starr 

• Recruit

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:10 PM

Yeah, I can see these things and I can accept them, although they could be given a bit better. But for the last part, I don't know. Her subsequent actions do show that, but her actions up until then don't. So that change seems kind of abrupt...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users