Malazan Empire: TI4 IV info/discussion/interest/signup - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TI4 IV info/discussion/interest/signup

Poll: Secret Communication (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Blend suggested 2 simultaneous 6 player games:

1. Yea (4 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Nay (2 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Let me think about it (2 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:58 PM

If we habe two mods who want to play i guess that works. Someone can always double up. I'm intrigued as to what a standard game would be like. Mentak for one would definitely be weaker.

#22 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:08 PM

I would definitely like to try a standard 6 person game. The 9 player game definitely messes with the balance of a number of races for sure.
I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds good.

#23 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:21 PM

From what I've read/seen online, the way that we've been building the 9 player maps definitely have players a little more at each others' throats than a standard 6 player game does. I'm not certain that is necessarily true, but I also like the idea of not having all the strategy cards chosen each round, and those that aren't chosen having TGs placed on them, thus making them more appealing in future rounds.

I don't know how that necessarily affects all the races via balance, but I'm sure it certainly has some kind of effect!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#24 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:49 PM

View PostBlend, on 20 June 2019 - 06:21 PM, said:

I don't know how that necessarily affects all the races via balance, but I'm sure it certainly has some kind of effect!

Not much at all. The only real effect I can think of is the Xxcha not getting to use their Peace Accords as often, but that doesn't get used much in 8/9 player games, either.

Jol-Nar are unaffected because someone always takes TECH. Nekro don't miss out on CTs because LEADERSHIP and TECH are still picked virtually every round.

The thing is, whether you have 4 or 9 players, you still only gain 2 CT per round. So with 5-6 playeres, yeah there's less primaries being done, but the secondaries that everyone is doing remains about the same, as you didn't have enough CTs to spend on them all in a bigger game anyway.

I guess Winnu might be sliiightly better because if they get blocked from taking IMPERIAL whilst on MR they are more likely to have a good option left... but that's kinda the same for everyone anyway.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#25 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:52 PM

View PostD, on 20 June 2019 - 07:49 PM, said:

Not much at all. The only real effect I can think of is the Xxcha not getting to use their Peace Accords as often, but that doesn't get used much in 8/9 player games, either.

Jol-Nar are unaffected because someone always takes TECH. Nekro don't miss out on CTs because LEADERSHIP and TECH are still picked virtually every round.

The thing is, whether you have 4 or 9 players, you still only gain 2 CT per round. So with 5-6 playeres, yeah there's less primaries being done, but the secondaries that everyone is doing remains about the same, as you didn't have enough CTs to spend on them all in a bigger game anyway.

I guess Winnu might be sliiightly better because if they get blocked from taking IMPERIAL whilst on MR they are more likely to have a good option left... but that's kinda the same for everyone anyway.

I really think that not having all strategies in play each round is going to really change the feel of the game. I guess we shall see!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#26 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:59 PM

View PostBlend, on 20 June 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

View PostD, on 20 June 2019 - 07:49 PM, said:

I really think that not having all strategies in play each round is going to really change the feel of the game. I guess we shall see!

4-player with 2 strategies per player is another beast entirely

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#27 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:01 PM

View PostD, on 20 June 2019 - 07:59 PM, said:

4-player with 2 strategies per player is another beast entirely

I had actually thought of suggesting that - I've played a 4-player game where a buddy of mine and I both controlled 2 races each, and it was certainly interesting to have two strategy cards per game. Plus the map was definitely more spread out, so less confrontation altogether. But we'd have to run 3 games for everyone to be able to play if all 9 regular players sign up again.

#28 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:10 PM

Found an interesting set of pre-built 6-player maps on Boardgame Geek..

Click Here!

According to the creator...

Comp maps: Closer to a competitive build. Asymmetric, a bit awkward yet still fair. Even if your path to MR is blocked, you wouldn’t mind that slice

Mid maps: Action’s in the middle – all hexes around MR have at least one planet. Boring and fair maps.

Rich maps: The TI4 pre-built map in the rulebook is rich; meaning all blue hexes are used, and two red hexes are removed. It isn’t possible to competitively build rich galaxies, since 2 blue tiles get removed. "Death Trap" is an map for more experienced players.

Semi-Rich maps: same idea as Rich except only one blue tile and one red are removed. Not possible with a normal competitive build.

Each individual map has portions that will favour certain strategies. The differences between the maps themselves are 1. how rich they are (some games have the best systems removed, or all planets in play) 2. Anomaly placement (on the path to MR? Is it passable like an asteroid field? semi-passable like a nebula? Impassible such as a supernova (except for Muaat of course).

Some maps have the most rewarding systems in shared zones, some maps they're adjacent homes. Some have the best systems adjacent MR. Most maps have a mix of all the above, and the point is for interesting/creative strategies to flourish.

He also suggests the following for seat/race selection (which is more or less similar to what we did this last game minus the vetoing of races):

1. Give each player 2 secret factions
2. Each player vetoes one from the game, and the other goes face-up into the 'pile of possible factions'.
3. Add two random factions to this pile.
4. Randomly sort player order for the snake draft (dice, Chwazi app, whatever)
5. First player can select one from the following: i) a seat, ii) a faction, iii) speaker token
6. Second player does the same, all the way to 6th.
7. 6th player chooses again, snaking back to first.

My add (cause it wasn't clear in his instructions): If only the Speaker token is left at the end, then it goes to a random player, otherwise whatever is left goes to whichever player chose the speaker token.

Thoughts anyone?

#29 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:47 PM

You should see the TI4 Online Map Generator - https://ti4-map-gene...rekpeterson.ca/

#30 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:54 PM

View PostBlend, on 20 June 2019 - 08:10 PM, said:

He also suggests the following for seat/race selection (which is more or less similar to what we did this last game minus the vetoing of races):

1. Give each player 2 secret factions
2. Each player vetoes one from the game, and the other goes face-up into the 'pile of possible factions'.
3. Add two random factions to this pile.
4. Randomly sort player order for the snake draft (dice, Chwazi app, whatever)
5. First player can select one from the following: i) a seat, ii) a faction, iii) speaker token
6. Second player does the same, all the way to 6th.
7. 6th player chooses again, snaking back to first.

My add (cause it wasn't clear in his instructions): If only the Speaker token is left at the end, then it goes to a random player, otherwise whatever is left goes to whichever player chose the speaker token.

Thoughts anyone?

Sure, that's fine. If you want to use that system, I think you can just skip the player veto/keep choice and just make a pile of N+2 random races to be chosen from. I also think you could do it with just letting all races in the pile to be chosen from.

#31 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:59 PM

View PostD, on 20 June 2019 - 08:54 PM, said:

Sure, that's fine. If you want to use that system, I think you can just skip the player veto/keep choice and just make a pile of N+2 random races to be chosen from. I also think you could do it with just letting all races in the pile to be chosen from.

I guess that's true, but I figured by giving players the veto option, it allows players to have a say in what races are NOT available in the game. But it's really not a huge difference either way, I suppose.

#32 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:00 PM

View PostD, on 20 June 2019 - 08:47 PM, said:

You should see the TI4 Online Map Generator - https://ti4-map-gene...rekpeterson.ca/

That's a really fucking cool tool! I wonder if it actually creates balanced maps though - I mean, if you're just randomizing the whole map, then wouldn't some people sometimes get good slices while other got really shit slices?

#33 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:00 PM

That is cool.

Maybe before we get too far into planning 2x 6 player games we should determine if enough current people want it? Maybe let other forum people know?

My assumption based on past activity is that Twelve and Tatts would probably be up for playing both games but that is just an assumption. Still leaves 3 other slots for each game. Tapper, Nom, and Morgoth will probably only want to be in one game? Khell, D’rek, and IH would be the other 3. Not that those would be the breakdown of actual rosters.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#34 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:54 PM

View PostGnaw, on 20 June 2019 - 10:00 PM, said:

That is cool.

Maybe before we get too far into planning 2x 6 player games we should determine if enough current people want it? Maybe let other forum people know?

My assumption based on past activity is that Twelve and Tatts would probably be up for playing both games but that is just an assumption. Still leaves 3 other slots for each game. Tapper, Nom, and Morgoth will probably only want to be in one game? Khell, D’rek, and IH would be the other 3. Not that those would be the breakdown of actual rosters.

I mean, we COULD do 2x5 if we don't get enough players and both Twelve and Tatts don't want to play both games, that would only require one person to play 2 games.

For me, I'd just like to see what a standard game looks like, how it plays, compared to how it plays in the way we've modded it to fit 9 players. I'm interested in how differently things might balance and whatnot, not to say that I've not enjoyed every 9 player game we've played so far! :)

#35 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:10 AM

And try not to alienate any new players that want to try it. Like, maybe edit something into the first post welcoming new people to play? This format debate is pretty obtuse for someone who isn't sure if they can sign up or not here, yet the thread does say sign up.

#36 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:36 AM

I will have enough staying active in one game I suspect. I also don't see a reason to limit what racial choices we have. So far we've seen a pretty wide distribution of races, and if people want to try any specific one I think they should be allowed to. We're playing for months and months after all, it would be a shame to get stuck with a race you don't really want to play.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#37 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:59 AM

I would like to play, but until I am back at work after my holidays (17th of july) my access is very restricted. Essentially, while my elbow is fucked, typing is a no-no (and hurts like hell).

EDIT: the format (6 player/ 9 player) does not matter so much. I'd prefer no secret comms, though.

This post has been edited by Tapper: 21 June 2019 - 10:00 AM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#38 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:56 AM

I'd be in only for one game
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#39 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:02 PM

Yeah allowing new players in is a good idea. If we can't get them for the 2 6 player games and then need some to double up I could probably swing it. As my performanceschedule to date have proven I clearly need the practice.
I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds good.

#40 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:49 PM

Damn. Khell hasn’t responded in here yet!
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users