Malazan Empire: TI4 IV info/discussion/interest/signup - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TI4 IV info/discussion/interest/signup

Poll: Secret Communication (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Blend suggested 2 simultaneous 6 player games:

1. Yea (4 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Nay (2 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Let me think about it (2 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:39 PM

Apparently, I'm next up for modding duties.

I want to add off thread communication between neighboring players. I think it would be fun. Deal rules would apply there as well. Maybe.

• Blend
  • Twelve
  • Morgoth
  • Tatts
  • IH
  • D'rek
  • Nom
  • Tappe
  • Khellinatorr

Either 1x 9 player game or 2x 6 player. Depends upon interest.

This post has been edited by Gnaw: 22 June 2019 - 09:47 PM

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#2 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:13 PM

If we do end up running two simultaneous games, it might be a good plan to have one be for newer players (like anyone who has been flitting around the edges of these games and wondering if they could play or not), and one for the more experienced players?

Also, if we want to do two 6 player games, should we use the standard map as suggested in the Twilight Imperium rules, or build the map as we've done the last couple of games?

Should we keep the 9th Strategy Card, or play it as it's meant to be played? Keep Mallice and the other hexes Drek created for us to use, or just use the base set?
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#3 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:31 PM

I'd like to try a 6 player game and use the standard strategy cards and I think allowing for offline communications as okay as long as it's announced that cetain players are having a conversation.
I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds good.

#4 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:10 AM

I'm in either way, but would prefer no secret communication.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#5 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:14 AM

I'd prefer one game as we've been playing it. Modding 2 games seems like a lot of hassle and I doubt 12 players will be found. Secret communication is something I'd want to avoid as well. Itd also add to game delay waiting on answers from neighbours. It's also not a team game.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#6 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:14 AM

I'm in as well. I prefer no secret communication, or if it does exist it's not just between neighbours.

#7 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:26 PM

Wait and see who signs up/expresses interest, I think. If there are actually 12-13 interested players it makes sense to split into two 6-player games (with different mods, I'd suggest). If not, then not.

I'm also against secret communication. This ain't mafia. And if you think the slow-downs in the game are frustrating now, just wait until you get "Sorry, I need to discuss some things off-thread with [neighbour] for 2 days before I take my turn". If anything, I'm finding some of the existing secrecy kinda irrelevant - e.g. the status updates only say the number and race of PNs in each person's hand, which matches a real-life game, but on the forum really if you take super rigourous notes in the chat thread you can figure out exactly which PNs are where since the trades are all negotiated on-thread. Would it be better to just have PNs be public to save everyone the trouble of backtracking through 100 pages of chat thread?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#8 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:24 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 19 June 2019 - 06:14 AM, said:

I'd prefer one game as we've been playing it. Modding 2 games seems like a lot of hassle and I doubt 12 players will be found. Secret communication is something I'd want to avoid as well. Itd also add to game delay waiting on answers from neighbours. It's also not a team game.

To be fair, Gnaw wouldn't be modding 2 games, he'd mod one, I would mod the other, it would allow us to both play and mod.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#9 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:35 PM

View PostBlend, on 19 June 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

To be fair, Gnaw wouldn't be modding 2 games, he'd mod one, I would mod the other, it would allow us to both play and mod.

Yes, I知 not offering to mod 2 games!!!

But isn稚 D池ek up for modding after me rather than you? Or are you that excited with modding.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#10 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:34 PM

View PostGnaw, on 19 June 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

Yes, I’m not offering to mod 2 games!!!

But isn’t D’rek up for modding after me rather than you? Or are you that excited with modding.

It's a quirk of mine, I really enjoy running games. Any games, really - when I play boardgames or D&D with my friends, I tend to be the Gamemaster who keeps tabs on the game rules or the dungeon master who runs the whole game. Heck, I even got to a point where I enjoyed modding Mafia more than playing. It scratches an itch that nothing else does! Drek is welcome to mod if she wants, but my name's on the list if necessary, particularly if we are going to run 2 games at once and it means I don't have to play in the same game as you, you treacherous piss flap! :thumbsup:

This post has been edited by Blend: 19 June 2019 - 06:36 PM

#11 User is offline   Itw誑 Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:01 PM

I'd prefer secret communications only with your neighbours' neighbours
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#12 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:12 PM

View PostBlend, on 19 June 2019 - 06:34 PM, said:

View PostGnaw, on 19 June 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

Yes, I知 not offering to mod 2 games!!!

But isn稚 D池ek up for modding after me rather than you? Or are you that excited with modding.

It's a quirk of mine, I really enjoy running games. Any games, really - when I play boardgames or D&D with my friends, I tend to be the Gamemaster who keeps tabs on the game rules or the dungeon master who runs the whole game. Heck, I even got to a point where I enjoyed modding Mafia more than playing. It scratches an itch that nothing else does! Drek is welcome to mod if she wants, but my name's on the list if necessary, particularly if we are going to run 2 games at once and it means I don't have to play in the same game as you, you treacherous piss flap! :doh:

I'm happy to keep playing. Modding is a lot of work and I'm lazy :thumbsup:

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#13 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:58 PM

View PostGnaw, on 18 June 2019 - 07:39 PM, said:

Proposed game IV (Gnaw modding):
  • Blend
  • Twelve
  • Tatts
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?

Proposed game V (Blend modding):
  • Gnaw
  • Twelve
  • Tatts
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?

#14 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:03 PM

So are we going to run two standard games? No additional tiles, only the 8 original strategies, 6-person map from the set-up guide?

Or do we want to do one standard, and one with all the additional tiles and a map-building phase?

#15 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:18 PM

View PostBlend, on 20 June 2019 - 05:03 PM, said:

So are we going to run two standard games? No additional tiles, only the 8 original strategies, 6-person map from the set-up guide?

Or do we want to do one standard, and one with all the additional tiles and a map-building phase?

Don't know yet. You and I are the only ones who've really commented on it.

I like the idea of 2 games not just because then I'd get to play as well as mod. The 9 player game has a couple of problems. If I run the 9 I'm going to add 6 tiles to complete the outer ring, which I think will help. Give some initial space to keep those sections from being quite so cramped.

If we do the 2 games, the one I run will be standard board game tiles, strategy cards, etc. I know how I'll work the map layout process (players will do it with the pizza slice process we used from the current game), race selection, etc.

This post has been edited by Gnaw: 20 June 2019 - 05:22 PM

#16 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:24 PM

If we do two games, we値l need hugin & munin.

#17 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:27 PM

View PostGnaw, on 20 June 2019 - 05:24 PM, said:

If we do two games, we値l need hugin & munin.

Yep, definitely! Guess we'll figure all that out when this game is done and we're gearing up for the next one. I'm sure IH or Drek can reset the H&M password if no one has it handy.

#18 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:37 PM

View PostBlend, on 20 June 2019 - 05:27 PM, said:

If we do two games, we'll need hugin & munin.

Yep, definitely! Guess we'll figure all that out when this game is done and we're gearing up for the next one. I'm sure IH or Drek can reset the H&M password if no one has it handy.

Regardless, I'm going to need access to all the files. Anyone have a link to where they might be?

Sooner is better for me as the current version of Inkscape is incompatible with Macs. I値l have to use Affinity Designer and I知 not as familiar with it.

This post has been edited by Gnaw: 20 June 2019 - 05:51 PM

#19 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:49 PM

View PostGnaw, on 20 June 2019 - 05:37 PM, said:

Regardless, I'm going to need access to all the files. Anyone have a link to where they might be?

Sooner is better for me as the current version of Inkscape is incompatible with Macs. I値l have to use Affinity Designer and I知 not as familiar with it.

Give me a minute, I still have the original google drive from Drek somewhere, I'll PM it to you.

#20 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:52 PM

View PostBlend, on 20 June 2019 - 05:49 PM, said:

View PostGnaw, on 20 June 2019 - 05:37 PM, said:

Sooner is better for me as the current version of Inkscape is incompatible with Macs. I'll have to use Affinity Designer and I'm not as familiar with it.

Give me a minute, I still have the original google drive from Drek somewhere, I'll PM it to you.

Thanks. Forgot about that pm.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users