Malazan Empire: Steven Erikson @ Fantasy Con - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steven Erikson @ Fantasy Con

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 02 October 2005 - 11:42 AM

I’ve never been to a Fantasy/SciFi convention before and must own to some disappointment.....

I didn’t see a single Klingon. .... Nope, no fancy dress at all,

Not even many beards …….just a lot of nice people milling around talking about books.

I did meet the man though, …. and apologise to SE for gushing slightly…. Heheh – give me a break…it’s understandable……
I’d like to express my thanks at this point to Patch for ‘greasing the wheels’ so to speak. He managed to bribe/coerce/blackmail/torture/terrorise (delete as applicable) SE into inviting me to introduce myself. Not sure that I would have had the nerve otherwise.

Steven Erikson is very approachable and took the time and trouble to introduce all sorts of people with whom he interacts, including other authors, and his publishers. Observing some of the activity that surrounds authors when they have the opportunity to be together in one place, along with publishers, editors, agents, and also fans, was very interesting. It’s busy, there are interviews to give, panels to occupy, signings for fans and for cover sheets for forthcoming books – and I admit to watching in awe as he worked his way diligently through a huge pile of those.

So bearing this in mind I didn’t pile in with questions that either will or not be answered in the books at some time in the future. He did explain that not all story arcs will be followed up, only those relevant to the point at which he intends to finish the series. Some however will be dealt with by ICE :D

We did talk briefly about some of the aspects of the books…. including the dreaded GoTMisms….about female characters and the way they are written (which I personally like) … and themes… motherhood, brothers etc.
Steve was complimentary about the forum, said he enjoys the views fans have of certain characters as it helps him to understand what works and why. He has promised to write to the site on his return from England and prior to Christmas.

At 2pm Steve gave an interview to Ariel (Alien Online?) in which all of his novellas, and that of ICE’s were discussed.

The books were Fishing with Grandma Matchee and The Devil Delivered, followed by When She’s Gone and a brief discussion on the necromancers of Healthy Dead and Blood Follows. The interview will be on their site at some point and I’ll endeavour to post a link for those who wish to read the full monty.

On a strange aside - for those who have dealt with the excellent PS Publishing - Peter Crowther looks a bit like Sean Connery – lol

The interview turned towards the Malazan Book of the Fallen and here are a few items of interest..

The Bonehunters is coming out at over 1,000 pages which makes it larger than Memories of Ice and is the biggest book Transworld Bantam have published.

For those who are worried about possible quality/content decline, as with other authors… shame on you! Seriously, you don't have anything to worry about …… :D .

Steve did say he has been very busy adding/editing, much to his publishers dismay/delight – who has watched the page count rise.

Here’s one for those with timeline issues… he told me the date in the Prologue was an error…. :D

To continue, the story arc for the next four books will be outside of the Malazan Empire.
There are some new maps and details in Bonehunters too.
At this point I wanted to ask about Assail… sorry guys… couldn’t do it. It’s more fun not knowing……. isn’t it? :Erm:

Steven has written 7 chapters of Reapers Gale so far.

ICE’s next book will be The Return of the Crimson Guard.
It will be longer than NoK too .. a good piece of news for those who’ve enjoyed his first book.
Bantam Transworld expressed an interest in publishing NoK in paperback format…. But of course that’s not to say it will happen.

Bantam also have a revised cover jacket for The Bonehunters and I’m hoping to get it posted to the site. Enquired as to the differences and was told it had been “tweaked” to bring it in line with the others already published.

So, a brief outline. Thanks to Steven Erikson for his time and patience, and to the very kind Simon Taylor of Transworld/Bantam who made me feel welcome throughout the afternoon.

#2 User is offline   Jonzey 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:29 PM

Wow thanks for that Hetan! :D wish I could go to one of those thingies...
glow worm

#3 User is offline   Hume 

• Banned Like a Mushroom
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:45 PM

Thanks a Heap for that one Hetan..

So you actually got to met the creater of the whole thing, Lucky you..
So whats Patch like as well ? I can put a face to erikson but not this Chris Porozny

And boy was I shocked with the next 4 books story arcs outside the malazan empire.
That means I think that seven cities wont come around again. However It has never been clear to on whether or not if Genebackis is still in the Empire I dont think I recall anything on that. The Ashok regiment in genebackis that was stationed as a guard army got posted back the 7 cities..meh now im rambling..

Time will tell.

Oh Thanks Again !

EDIT: Oh I wonder if this means there is a Good chance we see Bugg and Tehol again :D

#4 User is offline   vaiski 

• High Fist

Posted 02 October 2005 - 01:15 PM

Thanks Hetan :D

#5 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 02 October 2005 - 01:57 PM

Thanks a lot for the info Hetan, wish I could have got up there myself...

Oh and one bit of clarification, in which prologue was the date wrong? HoC or MT?

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:12 PM

well at the time I thought we were discussing The Bonehunters... ;-)

#7 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:51 PM

Ah right... so many prologues with possible timeline errors....

#8 User is offline   Entropic_existence 

• Corporal

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:53 PM

Awesome info Hetan, nice to hear that NoK might get published over here sometime, and very cool to know that ICE's next book will be about the Crimson Guard.

#9 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:56 PM

tweaking is probably just the Font type of the cover...I remember being quiet anal about that:rolleyes:

But excellent work Hetan:D And good job Transworld for thinking about getting NoK published:D YAY
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#10 User is offline   Kimpo 

• Lieutenant

Posted 02 October 2005 - 04:37 PM

Ohh, some new info, much looked after, thanks a bunch Hetan :D did you remember to say hi from us?

#11 User is offline   Trotts 

• Barghast Sapper-Wannabe
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 02 October 2005 - 05:02 PM

NoK paperback!! please god let it happen!!!

thanks for all that juicy info hetan!!

#12 User is offline   garden_rake 

• First Sword

Posted 02 October 2005 - 08:10 PM

good work, very good work in fact.... next time give the man himself a kiss from me :D

#13 User is offline   Roland 

• High Fist

Posted 02 October 2005 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for the info, Hetan :D And did you ask him about the answers to the topic in Q&A?

#14 User is offline   Lather 

• Lieutenant

Posted 03 October 2005 - 01:20 AM

wow! :cool: that was fabulous hetan!!!! thanks so much for carrying me around in your pocket there for a minute! that was a really fun read!!! i hope you had as much fun being there as we did reading!!!!! :D

#15 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 October 2005 - 08:28 AM

Hetan, I will sacrifice the complete collection of Terry Goodkind's works in your honour! I bow to your greatness :D
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#16 User is offline   Tenaka Khan 

• High Fist

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:00 AM

One more 'thank you' also from over here Hetan :D I wonder if I would even get a word out (i am not even talking about forming coherent sentences;)) when face to face with SE...

#17 Guest_Ouki_*

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:32 AM

Hetan, thanks a lot for the post!

Must be really cool to meet 'the man' alive!

Just like Tenaka Khan says, I don't think I would be able to ask any question myself.

Bit of a shock here as well about the "next four books outside Malaz Empire", so only return in last one then...
But IIRC in BH we return to Seven Cities... So maybe the "next four" are the last four?

Thanks again!
and again!

Posted 03 October 2005 - 01:40 PM

yep.. the four after the Bonehunters are outside ME.

The cover is on now for those who want to see it :D

#19 User is offline   Arkmam 

• Titanium Nipple
  • Interests:Reading, playing board games, taking walks

Posted 03 October 2005 - 01:46 PM

Thanks a lot for the information Hetan.
Does Genabackis count as a part of the malazan empire? Because I believed that Toll the Hounds were to be set there...

If I met with SE, I would fall to my knees screaming "I'm not worthy, I'M NOT WORTHY!", Wayne's World 2 style.
"If you got dragnipur'd, chaos would move closer."
- Ancient Malazan insult

#20 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 03 October 2005 - 02:27 PM

7 Chapters of Reapers Gale? Wow... does the guy sleep?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users