Malazan Empire: Jonathan Straud - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jonathan Straud

#1 Guest_bluesman_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 01 October 2005 - 03:49 PM

Anyone read Golems Eye or any other book by this author? From the synopsis it seems like a bit Harry Potter like but I could be wrong.

The reason I wonder is because I met him in person in my bookstore today. He seemed like a nice person but I didn't know what to ask since I never read anything by him.

Is he any good(or his books rather)?

BM

#2 Guest_Jay Tomio_*

Posted 01 October 2005 - 04:43 PM

I have read The Amulet of Samarkand which is the first book in the Bartimaeus series (you mention Golem's Eye which is the second).

Many people seem to liek but I really didn't care for it. The book alternates between two POV's, one of which revolves around a magician apprentice that is just utterly uninteresting, and just lacking in regards to motivation that is supposed to propel the plot. The chapters with Bartimaeus (a Djinn) are actualy rather interesting but due to the uneven quality between the two POV's his chapters start to become redundant, and were unable to carry the book for me.

I enjoy Rowling's work - no I don't think she is anywhere near as talented as most of fan her do - but I do, think she presents a reasonable entertaining work, and glimpses of imagination that are intriguing enough - and I prefer it much more than Stroud's work, which came lauded, but was just flat to me. A couple of the segments in the book that were defintely meant to be "impact moments" or at least ominous were poorly depicted in my opinion, and didm't give me the effect I think intended.

There is some good YA out there, but this wasn't one that appealed to me - really at all.

#3 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:10 AM

Thanks. I was sort of hoping that this was slightly more mature in level. Normally i like the pseudo fantasy/earth settings ala American Gods but this seems to be more like Harry Potter (ie childish) from your description.

BM

#4 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 October 2005 - 01:38 AM

It is "Young Adult Fiction", so you'd expect it to be less mature, really... at least, I would:Erm:
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#5 User is offline   Brys 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 October 2005 - 03:47 PM

I think that he came to my school to talk to the 1st years (11 - 12 year olds) suggests that his books aren't more mature than Rowling's. And it's also YA fiction.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users