Malazan Empire: The Biggest Assholes in Music - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Biggest Assholes in Music

#1 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Ruling with an iron fist, showing no mercy, evil plans to take over the world, and other fun stuff.

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:55 PM

A few suggestions to kick this off (Disclaimer: I actually like a few of these musicians, I'm just including them because of assholery):
Lars Ulrich
Dave Mustaine
Kerry King
Mike Portnoy
Tuomas Holopainen
Tarja Turunen
Billy Joel
Chad Kroeger
Justin Beiber
Yngwie Malmsteen
Roger Waters
Varg Vikernes

I don't know if this is going too far for the forum; please LMK and I'll
MODGOD NOTICE OF YEAH, TOO FAR, NOT COOL, NOT FUNNY, JUST DON'T

Please, add more to this list. I may set up a poll depending on how much interest I get. Chad Kroeger would probably win.

This post has been edited by Abyss: 01 May 2019 - 08:35 PM

#2 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:11 PM

This topic seems a little pointless without the stories to explain why people are assholes?

Anyway high on my list of recent years at least is Robin Thicke, for making Blurred Lines, then freaking out and turning into an utter creep when his wife left him over it, making an entire album dedicated to supposedly trying to get her back.

But the real winner is Ed Sheeran for inflicting Galway Girl.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#3 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King
  • Interests:Ruling with an iron fist, showing no mercy, evil plans to take over the world, and other fun stuff.

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:35 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 01 May 2019 - 08:11 PM, said:

This topic seems a little pointless without the stories to explain why people are assholes?

Good point.

Lars Ulrich - The whole Napster scenario. Also likes Lars Ulrich a far bit.
Dave Mustaine - Got sacked from Metallica for being a drunkard, then proceeded to form a band that was better than/a poor imitation of Metallica (delete where appropriate). Also likes Dave Mustaine.
Kerry King - Listen to any of his solos and you'll understand why.
Mike Portnoy - Thought he was Dream Theater, and couldn't understand why the people who actually were Dream Theater weren't too keen on letting him take a lengthy sabbatical.
Tuomas Holopainen - Sacked Sami Vanska because he felt like it, sacked Tarja Turunen because he didn't like her husband (or because she wanted too much money, depending on what side of the argument you subscribe to), sacked Anette Olzon because she was pregnant and couldn't sing. However, the most unforgivable thing he did was then hiring Floor Jansen. Also he happens to be a very good musician.
Tarja Turunen - See above. Decided she was Nightwish, and therefore should get all the money.
Billy Joel - Doesn't really need any introduction.
Chad Kroeger - Nickelback. Nuff said.
Justin Beiber - Ruining the (not so) good name of Canadian music
Yngwie Malmsteen - Is a great guy and the best guitarist in the world, according to him
Roger Waters - Decided that Pink Floyd should not continue after leaving it. Filed lawsuits to stop them performing (hint: it didn't work).
Varg Vikernes - Burning 5 churches and then murdering someone doesn't really give black metal a good name.

Most pop 'musicians' belong on this list for crimes against music.

making an entire album dedicated to supposedly trying to get her back

Claudio Sanchez is the real winner here. Admittedly not all of the album, but you'd think he'd get over her after 5 albums.

#4 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:35 PM

The drummer from Balgurra is a huge dickhead
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#5 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:52 PM

Look behind the scenes though. That's where you have people with real influence who try to ruin careers. ex. Sharon Osbourne, Jimmy Iovine.

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:54 PM

Bieber has mellowed out a lot in recent years after that spat of bro-y behavior around age 20. Seems like he's got through that bumpy patch and gained some perspective to become a more or less good dude. At least as far as I can tell.

I'd add David Crosby to the list, if you've ever read his Twitter which is like an ongoing AMA and he's always honest, but he's also hilarious and it rules.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 02 May 2019 - 12:52 AM

Disagree entirely on Tuomas hiring Floor part. Floor Jansen has taken Nightwish to an entirely new level. Her vocal range and talent are utterly astounding and the she has excellent stage presence.

Re: Musicians I have heard that Mariah Carey is a huge diva and quite hostile towards staff and venue management.

#8 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:44 AM

View PostAndorion, on 02 May 2019 - 12:52 AM, said:

Disagree entirely on Tuomas hiring Floor part. Floor Jansen has taken Nightwish to an entirely new level. Her vocal range and talent are utterly astounding and the she has excellent stage presence.

We'll have to agree to disagree there. Her voice just sounds boring to me, especially compared to Anette and Tarja. That being said, the best Nightwish singer is obviously Marco. And if it's a choice between Tuomas with Floor and Anette or Tarja without Tuomas, I would be going for the Tuomas option. Even if he is something of an asshole.

Bieber has mellowed out a lot in recent years after that spat of bro-y behavior around age 20. Seems like he's got through that bumpy patch and gained some perspective to become a more or less good dude. At least as far as I can tell.

Maybe, but unfortunately for him he'll always be seen as an asshole by the public at large.

This post has been edited by John II: 02 May 2019 - 01:44 AM

#9 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 02 May 2019 - 06:19 AM

Agreed. Floor is why I've started seeing Nightwish live again. I unfortunately never saw Tarja but seeing them with Annette in 2008 killed any interest in them as a live entity for me. Floor is phenomenal.
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#10 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 02 May 2019 - 12:08 PM

Voice-wise, I prefer Floor to Annette. I personality-wise, I think Floor fits with the band better than both Annette and Tarja.

I submit Eddie Van Halen to the list. If people keep leaving the band...except for your brother and son... maybe it's you.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#11 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 May 2019 - 12:27 PM

View Postworry, on 01 May 2019 - 08:54 PM, said:

I'd add David Crosby to the list, if you've ever read his Twitter which is like an ongoing AMA and he's always honest, but he's also hilarious and it rules.

He's not wrong about the Doors tho. Morrison was a GARBAGE singer.

View PostJohn II, on 02 May 2019 - 01:44 AM, said:

We'll have to agree to disagree there. Her voice just sounds boring to me, especially compared to Anette and Tarja.

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 02 May 2019 - 06:19 AM, said:

View Postacesn8s, on 02 May 2019 - 12:08 PM, said:

Voice-wise, I prefer Floor to Annette. I personality-wise, I think Floor fits with the band better than both Annette and Tarja.

I got into Nightwish while Tarja was singing (whom I liked, but didn't love), but the first time I ever saw them live was when Anette was singing and she was utterly forgettable and terrible and made me wonder what happened to the band. The band barely hung together with her as the singer. The only good thing about that show was that Kamelot and Amaranthe opened for them both of which have become hardcore favourite bands of mine, so at least there was that.

The next time I saw them was with Floor and I 100% agree with TRB and Ando, she brings the band to a whole new level. Simply amazing. Better than both Tarja and Anette for me. Floor is the best decision Tuomas has ever made.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:10 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 May 2019 - 12:27 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 01 May 2019 - 08:54 PM, said:

He's not wrong about the Doors tho. Morrison was a GARBAGE singer.

View PostJohn II, on 02 May 2019 - 01:44 AM, said:

We'll have to agree to disagree there. Her voice just sounds boring to me, especially compared to Anette and Tarja.

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 02 May 2019 - 06:19 AM, said:

View Postacesn8s, on 02 May 2019 - 12:08 PM, said:

I got into Nightwish while Tarja was singing (whom I liked, but didn't love), but the first time I ever saw them live was when Anette was singing and she was utterly forgettable and terrible and made me wonder what happened to the band. The band barely hung together with her as the singer. The only good thing about that show was that Kamelot and Amaranthe opened for them both of which have become hardcore favourite bands of mine, so at least there was that.

The next time I saw them was with Floor and I 100% agree with TRB and Ando, she brings the band to a whole new level. Simply amazing. Better than both Tarja and Anette for me. Floor is the best decision Tuomas has ever made.

As soon as I saw them perform live, especially Poet and the Pendulum, I knew this was the best they had ever been. She has a sort of Amazonian majesty and I saw a music critic say that very few female singers can go from the high notes to the metal growl as well as she can.

#13 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:14 PM

View PostAndorion, on 02 May 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:

She has a sort of Amazonian majesty and I saw a music critic say that very few female singers can go from the high notes to the metal growl as well as she can.

The only other one I can think of is Alissa White-Gluz.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#14 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 May 2019 - 03:29 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 May 2019 - 01:14 PM, said:

She has a sort of Amazonian majesty and I saw a music critic say that very few female singers can go from the high notes to the metal growl as well as she can.

Is she current front woman for Arch Enemy cos if we're talking monumental douchebag music types then Arch Enemy are up there...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 May 2019 - 03:33 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 02 May 2019 - 03:29 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 May 2019 - 01:14 PM, said:

Is she current front woman for Arch Enemy cos if we're talking monumental douchebag music types then Arch Enemy are up there...

Yep, that's her. And while I don't know about the rest of the band, Gluz is herself no stranger to being an utter asshole. I saw her back in her The Agonist days (the extra growly stuff is usually not my bag, but my good friend likes it so I went with him), and she was an absolute D-bag to the audience. Calling one guy out for daring to take a picture while they performed. She actually wanted him kicked out. She stopped mid-song and cursed him out for like a five minute rant. And this was not some big venue either, this was a shitty, smoky dirty little club performance with like 30 people tops.

But yeah, she's not a nice person, and I hear that the rest of The Agonist collectively booted her because of her behind the scenes behaviour, which included massive disrespect to the other members, unprofessional behaviour, and lack of respect to the fans (see above). They now are fronted by Vicky Psarkis and have said they are ALL breathing easier.

It surprises me not one bit that she joined a band of other assholes. LOL

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 02 May 2019 - 03:37 PM

#16 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 02 May 2019 - 04:40 PM

Yeah there was something about a photographer that they screwed over but I don't remember the exact details.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#17 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 May 2019 - 04:58 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 02 May 2019 - 04:40 PM, said:

Yeah there was something about a photographer that they screwed over but I don't remember the exact details.

Googled it. Craziness!

Sounds like it happened more than once as well, once this past December and and identical incident back when Angela fronted the band (she currently manages them, I didn't know that).

Goddamn, even Alissa's insta-explanation post about is is patronizing AF. LOL

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 02 May 2019 - 04:59 PM

#18 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:00 PM

Alissa White-Gluz - yes, a complete asshole. Also has an incredible voice, and the way she can switch between growls and cleans is brilliant. Her growls are especially good. Regarding her assholery, I find it a good rule of thumb that anyone who describes themselves as an activist is generally a jerk.
Regarding Nightwish - I've always seen them as a bit of a disappointment. I only heard of them recently (I've only been listening to metal for six months...), but the first album I listened to was Oceanborn, which was great. I didn't finish any of the other Tarja albums, but when I listened to DPP it was an instant favourite. However, apart from those two albums, the rest sort of sound quite generic. Those two have a healthy dose of prog in them (especially Oceanborn), but the rest are a bit lame. Not denying Tuomas' creative abilities; I just wish he would exercise them in a way that is more palatable to my ears (because I'm the most important person in the world, dammit).
I can't comment on what they sound like live, except on the live albums, but while Tarja's vocal mastery can't be denied, Floor has always sounded boring. The best performance I've heard from her is Sancta Terra with EPICA on the Retrospect concert (which is possibly the worst timed filmed concert ever); her voice goes with Simone Simons' (who is my favourite female metal vocalist - the only other who comes close is Sharon den Adel) very nicely.
Anette's voice on the album is awesome, too; those harmonies in The Islander send chills down my spine, and the chorus on The Poet and the Pendulum is headbang worthy (not as much as Ross Jennings' chorus on Celestial Elixir, which is simply the best ever and you can't deny it).
Floor's looks go with the rest of the band better than the other two, I'll give her that. Just look at the current band photos (too lazy to find them) - they all look quite bestial. Marco wins in that regard, though - as he does in all cases.
The upshot of this jumbled mess of a post is that I'm not so keen on seeing Nightwish with Floor. With Tarja I would, but that's never happening.

#19 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:34 PM

^ Ross Jennings is phenomenal. I've seen them live so many times and they always blow me away...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#20 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:36 PM

There's so much 'low hanging fruit' that it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

- Ted Nugent
- Kid Rock
- Kanye West
- The two jag offs who keep Kiss going (Gene Simmons & Paul Stanley?)
- Whatever line-up is calling themselves Lynyrd Skynyrd
- That douche nozzle that sings a song about beer for his horses - Tobe Keith?
- Ritchie Blackmore. I like Blackmore's playing, but watched a documentary about his career and man is he unapologetic about being an A #1 asshole. Now I guess the only people that can work with him are his hot young wife and an unknown back up band - doing 'medieval rock' in an outfit called "Blackmore's Night"
- The whole Jackson Family. Refuse to accept that their cash cow (MJ) raped little boys. Or they know but keep denying because they don't want that estate money to dry up.
- Bono. I think he's known for 'philanthropic' endeavors, but there's something about him that pulsates a-hole.
- Oh and those charming, shy girls in Babymetal. They're just meanies. Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users