Malazan Empire: Are there any worthy inheritor(s) to the depth and scope of Malazan? - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are there any worthy inheritor(s) to the depth and scope of Malazan? aka looking for fantasy as good as MBotF

#81 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 August 2021 - 08:39 AM

might be the Traitor Son Cycle by Miles Cameron could fit the parameters. Though it starts with a fairly narrow scope, it expands massively in the following books.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#82 User is offline   GardenGnome 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 August 2021 - 02:56 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 30 August 2021 - 08:39 AM, said:

might be the Traitor Son Cycle by Miles Cameron could fit the parameters. Though it starts with a fairly narrow scope, it expands massively in the following books.

I`ve been saying the same, and so have others earlier in the thread. Finished it the other day, andon the whole I found it satisfying - but also several annoyances, for example the rather rushed ending, and also the poorly defined and explained ascendancy - I forget what it was called in the book. So that is similar to MBotF.

I find few series manage to pull so large a scope, and quite a few series start off as shorter and then they add «oh, here`s a bigger, badder guy» with three more books - looking at you, Raymond E Feist and Terry Brooks. Few authors have an idea from the very beginning what they want to do, or at least few manage to convince their publishers.

Anyway, I think that is why there are so few recommendations in this thread, and so many repeated suggestions. Og, and as others have sand, R Scott Bakker’s 2nd apocalypse is great.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users