Malazan Empire: Not Finishing - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Not Finishing Blasphemy or Acceptable?

#21 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Ruling with an iron fist, showing no mercy, evil plans to take over the world, and other fun stuff.

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:37 PM

View PostAbyss, on 30 April 2019 - 04:40 PM, said:

View Postacesn8s, on 29 April 2019 - 01:43 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 26 April 2019 - 06:45 PM, said:

You should finish everything you start. And if you don't clean your plate (plate = book) you go to bed without dessert. Those are the rules.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding.
How can you have any pudding, if you don't eat your meat?

All in all...

Your fat and psychopathic wife will thrash you to within inches of your life.

On topic:
So ya thought ya might like to start a series
To feel that warm thrill of payoff
That fantasy glow
I've got some bad news for you sunshine
... argh, I've got Pink Floyd disease. Now I feel one of my turns coming on... the worms are eating into my brain...

All right, I think I've shaken it off now. Back to the subject at hand, I don't see anything wrong with not finishing a series. Don't give me none of that do-goody-good bullshit.
NOOOOOOOOO! I guess I was cruising for a bruising. Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all.

#22 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:39 AM

I do believe it's working.

Good.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#23 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:00 PM

You guys are filling me with the warm fill of confusion...
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#24 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:10 PM

That'll keep you going through the show.

Come on, it's time to go.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 01 May 2019 - 12:10 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#25 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:54 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 26 April 2019 - 02:27 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 26 April 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

obviously considering I finished the abortive mess that was way of kings.

It's like weirdly specific Tourettes with you isn't it?

I used to be intent on finishing when I was younger, but I think as others have said now I have less time to read I'm much less inclined to continue if I'm not enjoying something. It doesn't necessarily mean I'll never go back and try them again though - discovered I actually liked both The Historian and Wuthering Heights when I tried them again after giving up the first time.

My current project is to go through alphabetised descriptions of the beleagueringly bad Way of Kings, A to Z, and then repeat the loop but with new adjectives.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#26 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King
  • Interests:Ruling with an iron fist, showing no mercy, evil plans to take over the world, and other fun stuff.

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:29 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 01 May 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

I used to be intent on finishing when I was younger, but I think as others have said now I have less time to read I'm much less inclined to continue if I'm not enjoying something. It doesn't necessarily mean I'll never go back and try them again though - discovered I actually liked both The Historian and Wuthering Heights when I tried them again after giving up the first time.

My current project is to go through alphabetised descriptions of the beleagueringly bad Way of Kings, A to Z, and then repeat the loop but with new adjectives.

You're like the primary school boy who picks on the girl he likes... You really should be more careful with that axe, Maark...

#27 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:38 PM

View PostGorefest, on 01 May 2019 - 12:10 PM, said:

That'll keep you going through the show.

Come on, it's time to go.

There is no pain, you are receding...
This has stopped being a pun war and just degenerated into random Pink Floyd quotes.

Abyss, your post is so great I'm only disappointed I could only rep it once.
Posted Image
Can we just have a moment to appreciate how awesome the lyrics on The Wall are, though? I know it's nothing to do with the thread, but it's something that needs to be acknowledged.

Getting back on topic:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 26 April 2019 - 11:53 AM, said:

Hey all I was just thinking about coming across books that you start and never finish. I've started doing it a lot more over the past few years because I only read for fun now so I figure it's fine if I'm not enjoying it.

However I recently stopped reading a book called Tavern that I bought on Kindle after a guy posted on Reddit about how he felt an incredible sense of accomplishment. It sounded like something I could dig but it became very bland and generic and also it seems it hasn't been properly edited. I was bored so I started reading something else.

For some reason this bothered me. Maybe it's because it was an unsigned author and I want to support him or something similar but I kind of felt a bit bad. By all accounts it's doing OK and I saw that he said he had a lot of positive feedback about it so maybe it just wasn't for me? (Maybe, without trying to sound too pretentious, Malazan has spoiled me a bit?)

I dunno I'm not going to keep reading as I don't get much time for it at the moment and I'd rather not have to slog through it. Do you guys do this or are you a die hard "I've started so I'll finish" type?

Is this where we came in? (Actually I associate this more with the easter egg on Dream Theater's Octavarium than The Wall, because I'm weird like that)

#28 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:36 PM

View PostJohn II, on 01 May 2019 - 07:29 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 01 May 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

You're like the primary school boy who picks on the girl he likes... You really should be more careful with that axe, Maark...

I don't really know that trope because I hid in the library and read all through school.

Thankfully not anything as crabominable as Stormlight, though. And that's my C.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#29 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 03 May 2019 - 11:31 PM

I currently have Black Company lying on the bedside table - I know it probably will get interesting if I get into it, but a couple of chapters in, and I just can't do it. It feels so weird just letting it sit there, and I don't want to start another book either - not sure what to do, since I usually finishes books. :apt2:
_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#30 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 04 May 2019 - 12:26 AM

Russel Kirkpatrick- across the Face of the World- travelogue of the worst kind (poorly paced). Bailed after about a hundred pages and never looked back (and I donated the book to the library afterwards)

K.J.Parker's Engineer books- I think I stopped as some point in book 2? But I may not have gotten that far. It was a slog, and I can't stand reading about a supposed genius spending the whole book patting themselves on the back about how their elaborate scheme is all coming along marvelously. Pretty sure I gave those 2 away as well.

Generally, I do try to finish at least the 1st book in a series, but I yeah, these things happen.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#31 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:39 AM

View PostGem Windcaster, on 03 May 2019 - 11:31 PM, said:

I currently have Black Company lying on the bedside table - I know it probably will get interesting if I get into it, but a couple of chapters in, and I just can't do it. It feels so weird just letting it sit there, and I don't want to start another book either - not sure what to do, since I usually finishes books. :apt2:

IIRC the first Black Company rivals GotM for being a bad series starter. The rest of the series is great though - actually reminds me somewhat of MBotF. So once you've started, I don't think you'll have any problems finishing :)

This post has been edited by John II: 04 May 2019 - 09:40 AM

#32 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind

Posted 04 May 2019 - 04:08 PM

View PostJohn II, on 04 May 2019 - 09:39 AM, said:

IIRC the first Black Company rivals GotM for being a bad series starter. The rest of the series is great though - actually reminds me somewhat of MBotF. So once you've started, I don't think you'll have any problems finishing :p

Ok, but when does it start to get interesting? :)

#33 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 04 May 2019 - 04:18 PM

View PostGem Windcaster, on 04 May 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

IIRC the first Black Company rivals GotM for being a bad series starter. The rest of the series is great though - actually reminds me somewhat of MBotF. So once you've started, I don't think you'll have any problems finishing :p

I disagree here. I think the first Black Company is great. Straight into the storm, no holding back. The second one is a slog.
But the third - The White Rose - that is a work of art.

#34 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 04 May 2019 - 05:21 PM

And see, I don't think BC really starts to get Eriksonian until the Glittering Stone quartet...
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#35 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind

Posted 04 May 2019 - 05:30 PM

See, at this point I wouldn't mind a spoiler or two, or a hint to what's really going on, because so far I'm just bored, which is unfortunate. I know these things can be about which mood you're in, so if I let it rest for a while and come back to it, I might feel differently, but who knows.

#36 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:43 AM

View PostAndorion, on 04 May 2019 - 04:18 PM, said:

View PostGem Windcaster, on 04 May 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

I disagree here. I think the first Black Company is great. Straight into the storm, no holding back. The second one is a slog.
But the third - The White Rose - that is a work of art.

I disagree with the OP on book 1 for both series.

On the Malazan side, I thoroughly enjoyed GotM and had little trouble getting sucked into the series. I'd go so far as to say that if GotM had been as heavy as DG, I might never have finished the series.

Likewise, I enjoyed The Black Company (the book, not the series) a lot and saw definite parallels between the two series (literally read this right after GotM). As Andorion says, The White Rose is incredible. I didn't think Shadows Linger was that big a dropoff either.

#37 User is offline   RACHEL 

• Captain

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:52 PM

In the past five years I have finally opened up to the idea of giving up on a book or series. My tastes have changed/matured and mostly there are so many books and so little time. I have struggled to get into a book/series that turned out to be amazing, but I have also started books/series with lots of enthusiasm and been underwhelmed at the end. I have had to "force" myself to commit time to a book/series that I totally loved, but I have also breezed through books that I find really weren't that great.

China Meiville - forced myself to finish Perdido Street Station, not really my thing. I tried and gave up on two other books of his and so I donated the four books I had of his and wrote him off my list.

Kameron Hurley - tried book one in the Bel Dame Apocrypha and could not get into it, tried again several months later and it just clicked with me and I loved the trilogy.

Robin Hobb - enjoyed Assassin's Apprentice, started to get annoyed in book two and I skim read the last 50 pages of book three just to finish, Hobb is off my list

Steven Erikson - read FOD and found a lot to like but it was too dense, when I did a re-read before FOL I really loved it

started Belgariad and gave up (thirteen year old me would have loved it), Lord Fouls Bane never drew me in at all and I gave up halfway, the first two Ririya books were good but not great enough for me to invest my time reading more, read R Scott Bakker's first trilogy and liked it but have no interest in reading any more, tried a re-read of Mercedes Lackey and Raymond Feist and gave away their books because they do nothing for me now that I'm not a teen, I set aside runelords because the magic system seemed so stupid

read first Shadows of the Apt book and was underwhelmed so I set it aside but I just recently read another of Tchaikovsky's books and loved it so I plan to give SOTA another whirl

I was loving the Lightbringer series but I stalled out on book four over a year ago and have yet to pick it back up even though I was enjoying it

I can't read everything so I have to narrow the field somehow.

@Gem Windcaster

As far as The Black Company books go here are some hints to help you get interested. I will spoiler them just in case.
Spoiler

#38 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:41 PM

View PostRACHEL, on 07 May 2019 - 04:52 PM, said:

@Gem Windcaster

As far as The Black Company books go here are some hints to help you get interested. I will spoiler them just in case.
Spoiler

Thanks! I think my problem with the way it's written is that there isn't anything for me to hang on to, story wise, not yet at least. For instance is there a character or characters that I might want to keep an eye on, specifically? Things like that would help a lot. :apt2:

#39 User is offline   RACHEL 

• Captain

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:28 PM

@Gem Windcaster

Spoiler

#40 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind