• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Not Finishing Blasphemy or Acceptable?

#1 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:53 AM

Hey all I was just thinking about coming across books that you start and never finish. I've started doing it a lot more over the past few years because I only read for fun now so I figure it's fine if I'm not enjoying it.

However I recently stopped reading a book called Tavern that I bought on Kindle after a guy posted on Reddit about how he felt an incredible sense of accomplishment. It sounded like something I could dig but it became very bland and generic and also it seems it hasn't been properly edited. I was bored so I started reading something else.

For some reason this bothered me. Maybe it's because it was an unsigned author and I want to support him or something similar but I kind of felt a bit bad. By all accounts it's doing OK and I saw that he said he had a lot of positive feedback about it so maybe it just wasn't for me? (Maybe, without trying to sound too pretentious, Malazan has spoiled me a bit?)

I dunno I'm not going to keep reading as I don't get much time for it at the moment and I'd rather not have to slog through it. Do you guys do this or are you a die hard "I've started so I'll finish" type?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:55 AM

The one book I didn't finish (kings of the wyld) irked me so much that I've basically stopped reading because I don't have a desire to any more, and has now gone to landfill.

I've always been a slog 'til you die type (obviously considering I finished the abortive mess that was way of kings) but I think that's changed now. If I pick up on Analacrity and Unreadiness, I'd be more for dunking something off early now.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#3 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:04 PM

My to be read queue is large enough that I don't have an issue abandoning a book that doesn't resonate with me.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#4 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:40 PM

Fall of Light never got past the 10% read mark for me, probably never will. Same for Vellum and a few other books.

It would have bothered me more years ago when I read far more, but my reading time is much more restricted these days so I ain't gonna waste it on something I am not enjoying.

#5 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:51 PM

Life is too short and there is too much good literature out there to waste time with something you dont enjoy.

I've only every stopped 2 books.

Prince of Nothing Book 2 (gasp!). We've had this discussion 100 times on here, but i still say I'd rather take a swift kick to the nuts than be forced to read another word of that story.

JV Jones "The Barbed Coil". Been so long i dont remember exactly why i didnt like it, just that every character introduces was THE BIGGEST GUY EVER!!!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:10 PM

Life is too short to read something you don't enjoy and aren't getting paid for. I tend to skim to the end rather than outright drop a book, but that's a foible that amounts to the same thing.

Most recent example that comes to mind... Lynch's REPUBLIC OF THIEVES. Made it maybe 30% in, decided i was sliding from bored to hatred, read the last ten pages (barely) and out.

Also Leckie's ANCILLARY JUSTICE but to be utterly clear, that was because of the atrocious earbook narrator, NOT the book.

Not much else comes to mind but i tend to be very selective lately as i have less time to read and favor earbooks. When i have eyetime it's mostly been graphic novels and comic collections.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:23 PM

I used to slog my way through a book even if I wasn't enjoying it... I soon stopped this when my free time became less and less.

The first series that I actually bailed on/gave up with was Wheel of Time book 4. I was about 20% in and extremely bored... I walked away and never went back even though I had bought the first 6 books.

I also stopped Forge of Darkness about 80% in and didn't go back to that for a while and even then I only skim read it to get to the end.

For me, now, reading really depends on my moods so when I have a good mood phase to read then I will only read something that I really want to where as before I would try anything and everything... this way it is rare that I'll be reading something I don't enjoy.

The last four books I bought was two Mark Lawrence - One Word Kill and Holy Sister, Bernard Cornwell War of the Wolf and ICE Kellanved's Reach so yeah, it was highly unlikely that I would not enjoy any of them.

This post has been edited by champ: 26 April 2019 - 02:24 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#8 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:27 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 26 April 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

obviously considering I finished the abortive mess that was way of kings.

It's like weirdly specific Tourettes with you isn't it?

I used to be intent on finishing when I was younger, but I think as others have said now I have less time to read I'm much less inclined to continue if I'm not enjoying something. It doesn't necessarily mean I'll never go back and try them again though - discovered I actually liked both The Historian and Wuthering Heights when I tried them again after giving up the first time.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 26 April 2019 - 02:27 PM

- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:38 PM

It's kind of an experience thing... when you've read enough that you know, for certain (or close enough), that you are not and will not enjoy the book, your willingness to bail out is stronger.
So yah, younger me might have toughed it out through any number of 'bad' books, older me doesn't care to. Also because i know, with absolute certainty, that there is something better i could be reading.

#10 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:54 PM

Like tea leaves or obituaries. Or epitaphs in haiku.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:02 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 26 April 2019 - 01:51 PM, said:

Prince of Nothing Book 2 (gasp!). We've had this discussion 100 times on here, but i still say I'd rather take a swift kick to the nuts than be forced to read another word of that story.

Yeah I'm with you there but I slogged through the horrendous mess that was books 2 and 3 of the PoN series to a hugely underwhelming and disappointing finale. You missed nothing.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:28 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 26 April 2019 - 11:53 AM, said:

For some reason this bothered me. Maybe it's because it was an unsigned author and I want to support him or something similar but I kind of felt a bit bad. By all accounts it's doing OK and I saw that he said he had a lot of positive feedback about it so maybe it just wasn't for me? (Maybe, without trying to sound too pretentious, Malazan has spoiled me a bit?)

Obviously, I agree with what has already been said re not finishing books, I feel the same, but I'd like to also adress this part. Look, that guy put his book out there so people can read it. You bought it and as far as I'm concerned, you don't owe him anything by doing so. If that book turned out meh, it's either just not your type of book or it is really meh, but I think by buying it you already made your point that you support indie authors and it's now his book's job to convince you of that being a good decision. Knowing you as far as I do through this board, this is not going to stop you from buying any more indie books, so I think you should stop worrying about it. It's not on you if his book can't convince you.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#13 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:09 PM

I used to slog through everything until I tried to read the second book of David Edding's The Dreamers series and since then my brain's been broken and I've not finished countless books in the years since then. Sometimes ones that are obviously objectively quite good but I'm not feeling in the moment, though I do try to get back to those.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:26 PM

View PostPuck, on 26 April 2019 - 04:28 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 26 April 2019 - 11:53 AM, said:

Obviously, I agree with what has already been said re not finishing books, I feel the same, but I'd like to also adress this part. Look, that guy put his book out there so people can read it. You bought it and as far as I'm concerned, you don't owe him anything by doing so. If that book turned out meh, it's either just not your type of book or it is really meh, but I think by buying it you already made your point that you support indie authors and it's now his book's job to convince you of that being a good decision. Knowing you as far as I do through this board, this is not going to stop you from buying any more indie books, so I think you should stop worrying about it. It's not on you if his book can't convince you.

Counterpoint: you are a horrible person, Tiste. Send this guy all your money and maybe, one day, you'll feel ok with yourself again and be able to sleep without waking up screaming about your heinous betrayal.

View Postpolishgenius, on 26 April 2019 - 05:09 PM, said:

I used to slog through everything until I tried to read the second book of David Edding's The Dreamers series and since then my brain's been broken and I've not finished countless books in the years since then. Sometimes ones that are obviously objectively quite good but I'm not feeling in the moment, though I do try to get back to those.

Yah, i think thre's a distinction between 'not liking this but reading it anyways' and 'this is good but i just don't feel like reading about cyber-panda mounted space commandos hunting interdimensional dream vampire ninja just now'.

#15 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:31 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 26 April 2019 - 12:04 PM, said:

My to be read queue is large enough that I don't have an issue abandoning a book that doesn't resonate with me.

This is basically my thing. Hundreds of books out there, no point in slogging through what I am not enjoying.

Also I have noticed that I have become a more particular reader. There are many books I won't pick up, finish, or even if I finish, like. Basically I know what I like and some books are just not for me.

Case in point - Leckie's latest book, I have been picking at it for 2 weeks and I probably won't finish it.

#16 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:45 PM

You should finish everything you start. And if you don't clean your plate (plate = book) you go to bed without dessert. Those are the rules.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#17 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:52 PM

View PostAndorion, on 26 April 2019 - 05:31 PM, said:

View Postacesn8s, on 26 April 2019 - 12:04 PM, said:

This is basically my thing. Hundreds of books out there, no point in slogging through what I am not enjoying.

Totally a valid perspective, but I myself have a hard time embracing this simply because there's always the chance that something later will make it all "click" for me.

That said, I have abandoned a handful of books over the last few years. Two this year, in fact, though I plan on resuming them both. What's happened to me both this year and last is I'll suddenly get caught up in reading comics or playing Doom or something else for a few months. It's not that I don't want to read the book, it's that I'd rather be doing something else besides reading the book, and so I don't read.

The most recent true abandonment I've perpetrated was Mariam Petrosyan's The Gray House that I started last year. Lots of people said "read to the end!" and I wanted to, but there was no plot, and I could not for the life of me keep track of all the characters, and it felt like I'd been reading for months but I was like 1/5 of the way in.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#18 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:35 PM

As I grew older I realised that life is too short for bad books. Especially as I'm not being paid to read them. The urge to complete a book simply because you've handed over your (or someone else's) hard earned cash for strikes me as being akin to the sunk cost fallacy.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#19 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 29 April 2019 - 01:43 PM

View Postworry, on 26 April 2019 - 06:45 PM, said:

You should finish everything you start. And if you don't clean your plate (plate = book) you go to bed without dessert. Those are the rules.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding.
How can you have any pudding, if you don't eat your meat?
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#20 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:40 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 29 April 2019 - 01:43 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 26 April 2019 - 06:45 PM, said:

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding.
How can you have any pudding, if you don't eat your meat?

All in all...

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users