Malazan Empire: Enjoying the series, but feel like I miss little things. - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Enjoying the series, but feel like I miss little things.

#1 User is offline   Demandred 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:38 PM

I am loving this series, it is as good as advertised and as confusing,at times, as people have told me. I feel like I am understanding the main points, but part of me feels like I'm missing certain little nuances. Cant put a finger on it exactly, but I feel theres more going on at times than what I'm getting. Have others experienced this? Also, would you recommend a reread of the series once completed? I have heard that once you read it and have a foundation of knowledge, that you'll pick up more your 2nd time through and youll enjoy the series even more.

#2 User is offline   Demandred 

• Recruit

Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:44 PM

I guess one example would be this. I'm a little past the point in HoC where I find out Toblakai is Karsa. From what I had read up to that point, I had not a clue and didnt come close to putting it together until it basically outright told me in HoC.

#3 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:50 PM

You will miss a ton of little things, and Erikson loves to lay groundwork for things multiple books down the line.

It is why rereads are so rewarding.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:05 PM

Completely normal.

You will be amazed how many new things you pickup on each re-read.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#5 User is offline   RACHEL 

• Captain

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:51 PM

Every person who reads these books feels the same way you do. No one would be able to pick up on everything. Just enjoy the all the dots you have connected and ask on here if you have any questions. Re-reads make these books better and better but an immediate re-read isn't necessary unless you want to.

#6 User is offline   Ruthan Good 

• Magi House 94

Posted 28 April 2019 - 07:25 PM

View PostDemandred, on 20 April 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

I guess one example would be this. I'm a little past the point in HoC where I find out Toblakai is Karsa. From what I had read up to that point, I had not a clue and didnt come close to putting it together until it basically outright told me in HoC.

I feel like I would say that you had to pay a lot of attention to the minutiae of Deadhouse Gates considerably to get that. So that is absolutely fine.

But largely speaking, yes, rereads are highly rewarding, because I lost count of the sheer number of "oh shit!" moments that I have had over the time.
I don't have time to consider things I have to consider.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users