Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mouse!

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:06 AM

I never realized what a Tibetan Mastiff or Temple Foo dog looks like.

Look at this thing! It's amazing!

https://www.reddit.c...tm_source=share

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 24 March 2019 - 04:27 PM

Well there goes my afternoon...

*spends next 4 hours browsing tibetan mastiff pictures*

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:24 PM

My favorite dog breed from now :-)

#4 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:56 AM

View Postnacht, on 24 March 2019 - 10:24 PM, said:

My favorite dog breed from now :-)

If not socialized well early on, these dogs get mean. Since they're so large and capable, that causes problems for people trying to visit or get through their territory. They love being outside in the cold too. There's a few in Nepal.

Basically carnivorous yaks.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#5 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:48 PM

View PostD, on 24 March 2019 - 04:27 PM, said:

Well there goes my afternoon...

*spends next 4 hours browsing tibetan mastiff pictures*

Just subscribe to the Dresden Files subreddit. They have run out of things to discuss, so all they do is post pictures of Tibetan Mastiffs and other large hairy dogs.

#6 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:07 PM

A friend of mine bought a Japanese fighting dog once (breed is called 'Tosa Inu' - look them up). They're not to be fucked with. Thing is they are supposed to have a strong will to fight other dogs, but this big galoot loved other dogs. He and my rottweiler got along great. But man did he hate other people. He liked me because I helped my friend pick him up from the airport and acclimate him to his new home, but he would not let any other people near him. With that said, me and my friend went to a dog breed show and talked to an expert about breeds and aggressiveness and this guy said given the right 'stimulation', an american pit bull, hands down, could destroy any other breed, regardless of size (pit bulls are not the large compared to mastiff breeds and such). He said they are too tenacious and will keep going beyond the point of exhaustion and injury. Anyway, I was sort of creeped out about how serious and knowledgeable this guy was about it, like he has experience with fighting dogs, which is messed up.

#7 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:30 PM

In general, the pit bull breed produces dogs that when a serious fight occurs, the pit bull will often kill or fuck up other dogs past the other dogs' expectations of a fight. That is a characteristic bred into them and unfortunately, dog fighting is still a thing. Pit bull jaw strength and willingness to retain grip is a thing of legend.

Pit bulls are also bred to be very adult human friendly, so they have a dichotomy to them that is slowly getting better over time as dog fighting becomes less prevalent. However, what they consider prey may still get a big reaction (babies, cats etc).

That dichotomy isn't unique to pit bulls. My partner's mother has a dog that's probably a mastiff and retriever mix. He considered a cousin's baby as prey and got very fixated/growly/aggressive over the course of three days. We separated the two entirely by the middle of the first day and he was still willing to listen to adult humans or play well with other dogs even as he wanted to kill and eat the baby.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 March 2019 - 02:39 AM

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:45 PM

View Postamphibian, on 25 March 2019 - 05:30 PM, said:

In general, the pit bull breed produces dogs that when a serious fight occurs, the pit bull will often kill or fuck up other dogs past the other dogs' expectations of a fight. That is a characteristic bred into them and unfortunately, dog fighting is still a thing. Pit bull jaw strength and willingness to retain grip is a thing of legend.

Pit bulls are also bred to be very adult human friendly, so they have a dichotomy to them that is slowly getting better over time as dog fighting becomes less prevalent. However, what they consider prey may still get a big reaction (babies, cats etc).

That dichotomy isn't unique to pit bulls. My partner's mother has a dog that's probably a mastiff and retriever mix. He considered a cousin's baby as prey and got very fixated/growly/aggressive over the course of three days. We separated the two entirely by the middle of the first day and he was still willing to listen to adult humans or play well with other dogs even as he wanted to kill and eat the baby.

As i understand it, it comes down to the dog's natural tendency to fight until dominance, not death, being bred out of this particular, already more aggressive, breed, by humans.

Consequently where a 'normal' dog would surrender, the pit keeps fighting, or, where a normal dog would allow the loser to go away, the pit keeps fighting.

As a helpful side effect in some animals, this wholly fucks their sense of prey to the point that anything smaller/weaker triggers the fight/kill reflex.

And, as a fun extra bonus, this genetic tendency towards murder can arise at any point in the animal's life... more likely earlier, but not necessarily.

To be clear, this is all humans' fault.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 March 2019 - 03:29 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 March 2019 - 07:45 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 25 March 2019 - 05:30 PM, said:

As i understand it, it comes down to the dog's natural tendency to fight until dominance, not death, being bred out of this particular, already more aggressive, breed, by humans.

Consequently where a 'normal' dog would surrender, the pit keeps fighting, or, where a normal dog would allow the loser to go away, the pit keeps fighting.

As a helpful side effect in some animals, this wholly fucks their sense of prey to the point that anything smaller/weaker triggers the fight/kill reflex.

And, as a fun extra bonus, this genetic tendency towards murder can arise at any point in the animal's life... more likely earlier, but not necessarily.

To be clear, this is all humans' fault.

But see, therein lies the 'belly' rub <<<<<< see what I did there? cause, you know, dogs like it when you rub their belliesPosted Image

Anyway. So, even though my friend's Tosa Inu loved frolicking and playing with other dogs, my friend found himself in a bit of trouble and had to pay for a relatively significant veterinary bill. He was walking his dog one day and this guy he came across had a chocolate Labrador Retriever, friendly as could be. So they decide to let both off the leash and play. Well, my friend's Tosa Inu (about 220 lbs) starts rough housing a bit and does this move (that is bred into the Tosa Inu breed) where he sort of pins the the dog with his weight. Well, in doing this maneuver, the chocolate lab (probably about 50-60lbs) got injured and either tore or severely strained a muscle or tendon in his shoulder, because he came up limping heavily. My friend wouldn't tell me how much he had to pay, but he was not happy at all, so I got the feeling it was quite a bit. But see, that's the thing about dog fighting and manipulating their DNA to emphasize traits that are advantageous for a certain purpose. Even for a big, dopy, happy go lucky fella like my friend's dog, he still could be a menace to other breeds. From that day forward, my friend would still let him play but was extra cautious.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users