• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sekiro - Shadows Die Twice

#41 User is offline   Gryllen 

• cause of horrid death
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 March 2019 - 05:11 AM

For grappling hook it becomes useful at Ashina outskirts final boss battle. Only place I have found use for it. Currently trying to beat third big boss on top of Ashina castle, was so close yesteray evening, have to continue today. Really teaches you to use deflect and mikiri, before i just dodged and jumped most of the times. Reading your progression makes me wait and see your reaction when you progress, lots of rage and frustration coming.

#42 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:41 AM

I think the clues are all right there at the start - the game tells you what you have to do... that rock paper scissors triangle of what beats what. And then each early miniboss requires one of these to beat them. I've had to unlearn all my ingrained Dark Souls techniques - as a dex build, I was always rolling and diving, and attacking from side and back. It did nothing on any of the guys I met so far; I just died and died again. But each one is weak to a certain block and counter. So I had to stand there, sword up (which regains posture quicker) and watch what attack was coming, and pick whether to counter or block. Then there's a quick clash of swords, and one of you goes down.

I went back to the trainer several times to practice. Like DS, the extra stuff is good in certain situations, but won't ever beat mastering the basics. Like beating Midir in DS3 - I had to remove all my armour, and just learn to dodge everything. I think that's why I'm seeing a lot of negative game reviews from people who have completed the other soulsborne games... there was always an option there to respec, farm more levels, upgrade armour, or get up on a ledge and shoot them. Or, summon help from 3 other players. There's none of that here.

It is difficult. And I haven't even met a main boss yet.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#43 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:01 PM

That area is for later on I think... I haven't gone back up there yet.

If you go back to the place where you got the bell, look up - there's a high rock with a tent on it, and a guy who sells things. Go up the path (or round the shortcut to the left) and over the gates, and you'll find the unchained Ogre.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 27 March 2019 - 08:55 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#44 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:23 PM

I'll get into an area, explore, and take on what I can. If it looks like it's too much, I'll back out and go elsewhere. I've started checking online after I've done something to see if there's anything I missed - I don't think I would have continued on to find the axe after getting the flame if I hadn't. But I'm not looking at anywhere I've not been yet.

The bit of estate after the steps, up the hill, has a river - I found a path upstream, and ended up in a bamboo thicket with guards everywhere. I just left, they were everywhere! I've got 3 healing gourds now though so maybe I'll go back there after I check out the new area I've found on the other side of the ravine.

#45 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:47 PM

Ok so I've gone back to that area past the shield guys. There's a two-strike guy walking arpund with a lance/spear. Did you take him on yet BK?

He looks perfect for testing mikiri move on..

This post has been edited by Traveller: 27 March 2019 - 09:48 PM

#46 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:52 PM

Right so I killed the surrounding guards, sneaked up and backstabbed him. I've now got a screen up telling me how to use mikiri counter to kill him..

#47 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:53 PM

Well that didn't work. Back I go.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 27 March 2019 - 09:53 PM

#48 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:07 PM

Yep, that works. When you get the red sign that signals his attack, press circle and up on the left to move into it. You stamp his lance, and although it doesn't leave him open to a death blow, his posture goes right down. Backed off, repeated.. 3rd hit turned into an execution. Got 4th prayer bead!

#49 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:22 PM

Go left and sneak through the flowers, you come right up behind bowman and get him without him seeing you.

Just found two white robes types, each with a lance! Had to take them both using Mikiri. It even works on the thrust attacks that don't give the warning. One had a big bag of money.

Edit.. Just did a cool multiple wall jump up a well shaft. Nice!

This post has been edited by Traveller: 27 March 2019 - 10:25 PM

#50 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:18 AM

Do it a bit early - walk up to them, judge the distance of the swing, and smack it, followed by the stabby.

I just killed a really big guy on a horse.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 28 March 2019 - 12:46 AM

#51 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 March 2019 - 06:25 AM

You can take his first life with a sneak attack.

Yes, that bamboo path is the way I went, watch out for the two white robed spearman. The caves lead up to a burning estate and two bosses I haven't taken on yet, but are next on my list.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 28 March 2019 - 07:58 AM

#52 User is offline   Gryllen 

• cause of horrid death
  • View gallery

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:50 AM

Managed to get through the boss i was struggling with, was very good run with fresh head. Lots of story talk and off to 2 new areas.
Now i have 2 minibosses lined up to beat. One with shotgun and fight takes place on a small area at cliff's edge so I have fallen to death some times. Other is some ghost lady I think,have learned her moveset but she hits like a truck. Very hard on posture and can kill me in three hits when I mess up. I have some ideas about some quick item bufs so have to do some farming before trying again today.

For hirata estate i got up the bamboo trail, there is astory bit right after that and then you have to go to estate proper. One nasty miniboss there and after that wven nastier main boss.

#53 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:58 AM

I healed all those with dragon rot, is it easy to get more blood to do the same again?

#54 User is offline   Gryllen 

• cause of horrid death
  • View gallery

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:09 AM

You can get at least 1 more from drops and some merchants also sell some. So far i have done 2 heals. After I die a lot to those minibosses and finally beat them I do another healing round.

#55 User is offline   Gryllen 

• cause of horrid death
  • View gallery

Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:56 PM

You get first one from Emma after bringing her blood sample from someone afflicted. After that you have option at sculptors idol to heal dragonrot. I looted my second from somewhere because I haven't bought one yet.

#56 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 March 2019 - 06:29 PM

I used the first one after all the first mini bosses - thought it was better to wait until after. Will keep an eye out for vendors to get another, but I managed to kill the horseback boss without inflicting any dragonrot on anyone.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 28 March 2019 - 06:30 PM

#57 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:32 PM

The npcs like the sculptor, woman with bell, her son, trader on the rock etc all start coughing with dragon rot the more you die. You get a notice about whose got it when you die enough. Apparently they don't offer the same speech options and interaction is limited while they have the rot. You can heal them all at the same time though.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 28 March 2019 - 08:33 PM

#58 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 29 March 2019 - 03:35 PM

I found a new upgrade up there. It sort of lets you do a brief dash in whatever direction, putting you behind or to the side for a free attack. Not always timing it right though, been hit a few times while attempting it.

Found a cool looking purple ninja guarding it, he had some fancy moves, turns out he didn't like my firecrackers much though.

Attached File  IMG_20190328_223324.jpg (209.74K)
Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by Traveller: 29 March 2019 - 03:39 PM

#59 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 29 March 2019 - 05:34 PM

Yes, there's a left turn up onto a ledge after the bamboo path idol. I jumped in the river to get a carp, swam under s bridge, and found a well shaft to jump up. There's a house up there with the purple guy waiting on the roof.

#60 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 29 March 2019 - 05:43 PM

Have you pressed triangle on the travel screen? I wonder how much of that map will get revealed.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users