Malazan Empire: Recommendations for good sci-fi/fantasy short story anthologies or omnibuses - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Recommendations for good sci-fi/fantasy short story anthologies or omnibuses Classic or contemporary, I read them all

#1 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:33 PM

Hi, I am in the mood for some great sci-fi and fantasy short fiction. Please recommend me some great classic or contemporary short story collections and/or omnibuses. I have already read Legends II and I have Asimov's The Complete Robot.

Short story collections are how I got into sci-fi. I read one collection edited by Silverberg and one by Dozois.

Also does Ursula Le Guin have a good short fiction collection? I was utterly blown away by Omelas.

#2 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:54 PM

Le Guin has fiction collections. I haven't read them, but I own one or two.

Any collection by Gene Wolfe is fantastic (I like Starwater Strains and The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories).

The Apex Book of World SF is a good series.

Jeff & Ann VanderMeer's massive anthology The Weird is utterly phenomenal: 110 stories spanning 100 years of Weird SFF.

If you haven't read it yet, Swords & Dark Magic has Erikson's "Goats of Glory" set in the Malazan universe (but otherwise unrelated to anything.) The rest of the anthology is pretty good, too.

Alastair Reynolds' Galactic North has a bunch of really good SF stories set in his Revelation Space universe.

For fantasy, I really like Donaldson's Reave the Just and Other Stories.

Don't know if you're a Kindle man, but Saladin Ahmed's collection Engraved on the Eye is free, and very good.

And he's not really SFF, but I will never miss a chance to recommend the short stories of Jorge Luis Borges. (One of my favorites, "The Aleph", appears in The Weird.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#3 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:03 PM

Awards (Nebula, Hugo, etc.) anthologies

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:13 PM

GRRM's Tuf Voyaging collection. Tuf is like a one-man benevolent (in his own way) Bauchelain & Korbal Broach...in space!

Legends I & II: they're hit and miss but have fantasy novellas from a lot of big names.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:56 PM

I liked Asimovs short stories a lot when I was 17 or something. I think I would still like them. Short stories were good for examining cool stuff and ideas.

#6 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:58 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 15 February 2019 - 06:54 PM, said:

Le Guin has fiction collections. I haven't read them, but I own one or two.

Any collection by Gene Wolfe is fantastic (I like Starwater Strains and The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories).

The Apex Book of World SF is a good series.

Jeff & Ann VanderMeer's massive anthology The Weird is utterly phenomenal: 110 stories spanning 100 years of Weird SFF.

If you haven't read it yet, Swords & Dark Magic has Erikson's "Goats of Glory" set in the Malazan universe (but otherwise unrelated to anything.) The rest of the anthology is pretty good, too.

Alastair Reynolds' Galactic North has a bunch of really good SF stories set in his Revelation Space universe.

For fantasy, I really like Donaldson's Reave the Just and Other Stories.

Don't know if you're a Kindle man, but Saladin Ahmed's collection Engraved on the Eye is free, and very good.

And he's not really SFF, but I will never miss a chance to recommend the short stories of Jorge Luis Borges. (One of my favorites, "The Aleph", appears in The Weird.)

Thanks for all the recs! Regarding Le Guin I was considering something like the "Winds Twelve Quarters and The Compass Rose"
What I really want to get though is the Hainish boxset.

I have Reynold's Galactic North. Its really good. I will definitely look up the rest.

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 15 February 2019 - 08:03 PM, said:

Awards (Nebula, Hugo, etc.) anthologies

Like award winning short stories?

View Postworry, on 15 February 2019 - 08:13 PM, said:

GRRM's Tuf Voyaging collection. Tuf is like a one-man benevolent (in his own way) Bauchelain & Korbal Broach...in space!

Legends I & II: they're hit and miss but have fantasy novellas from a lot of big names.

Didn't know about the GRRM think. I read GRRM's the Hedge Knight for the first time in Legends II and Robin Hobb's novella set in the Farseer universe as well. Its the only thing written by Hobb that I have actually liked. I also a short story set in The Symphony of Ages series, though I have forgotten the author. I don't think I have ever seen Legends 1.

View PostAvatar, on 15 February 2019 - 09:56 PM, said:

I liked Asimovs short stories a lot when I was 17 or something. I think I would still like them. Short stories were good for examining cool stuff and ideas.

Yeah, a lot of the old sci-fi short stories are really good as the authors were experimenting with new stuff there. Flowers for Algernon, the Last Question and Nightfall were all short fiction first.

#7 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 17 February 2019 - 12:52 PM

View Postworry, on 15 February 2019 - 08:13 PM, said:

With cute cats! I re-read Tuf Voyaging a month or so ago, and it's fun.

This post has been edited by James Hutton: 17 February 2019 - 12:52 PM

Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#8 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:29 AM

View PostAndorion, on 17 February 2019 - 04:58 AM, said:

Yeah, a lot of the old sci-fi short stories are really good as the authors were experimenting with new stuff there. Flowers for Algernon, the Last Question and Nightfall were all short fiction first.

You've menteiond the Last Question and Nightfall already so you might've read it already but, if not, I'd recommend Asimov's The Complete Stories. There are two volumes and I'd just recommend the first (the second is a rip-off and features shorts found elsewhere). Meaty volume containing 40+ shorts which I still find thought provoking on re-reads. There are also a couple of Early Asimov collections (vol 1 & 2 again) featuring shorts that are a bit more ... campy.

#9 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:43 AM

Shill shill shill the me

https://www.amazon.c...k/dp/B07NP1R5K5

https://www.goodread...3-it-s-a-living
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#10 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:09 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 20 February 2019 - 08:43 AM, said:

Did you write something in this?

#11 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:12 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 20 February 2019 - 10:09 PM, said:

Did you write something in this?

Attached File(s)

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#12 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:07 AM

I love the idea of this anthology. Will definitely try to get it.

#13 User is offline   RACHEL 

• Captain

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:55 PM

https://www.goodread...rom_search=true I really liked the four stories in this collection.

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:01 PM

I have disliked most anthologies i have spent time reading, typically enjoying one or two stories and skim/skip/hated the rest.

If you're feeling Olde Schoole tho, LEGENDS was mostly quality by Big Name authors working in their well known worlds.

Posted Image

...aside from Goodkind, i mean. This was his one chance to do a story from the Evil Chicken's pov and he blew it.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#15 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:36 PM

View PostRACHEL, on 21 February 2019 - 03:55 PM, said:

https://www.goodread...rom_search=true I really liked the four stories in this collection.

Hey Rachel, this is quite the gem! The story blurbs are awesome!

"Red Sails" is set in the year 1740 when British marine and a Dominican Blackfriar are hunted across a cannibal isle by a savage crew of shapeshifting pirates.
"The Night of the Jikininki" is about a sadistic samurai sword tester who leads a pair of criminals in a bid to escape a prison filled with the ravenous walking dead.
"Sinbad and the Sword of Solomon" is set in 796, where Sinbad the Sailor leads his crew to a monster-haunted island to retrieve a magic sword from its demon owner.
And "Gully Gods" enters the modern era, where a South Houston gangbanger learns the utterly horrific secret behind the incomprehensible powers of a Liberian clique of ex-child soldiers.

View PostAbyss, on 21 February 2019 - 04:01 PM, said:

I have disliked most anthologies i have spent time reading, typically enjoying one or two stories and skim/skip/hated the rest.

If you're feeling Olde Schoole tho, LEGENDS was mostly quality by Big Name authors working in their well known worlds.

Posted Image

...aside from Goodkind, i mean. This was his one chance to do a story from the Evil Chicken's pov and he blew it.

I loved Legends 2, so I was considering this anyway

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users