• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Twilight Imperium (Game 3) - Chat Thread

#21 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:46 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 29 January 2019 - 04:43 PM, said:

We are the Barony. We own our noble title to the blessing of God. By divine right we rule. By divine decree we claim that which are our demenses by right. All that we are, all that we will be, is by Gods will. Impede us and you spit at the feet of God. Our demenses is God and we are Its blood. Attack us and you spill Its blood. Penetrate our demenses and you penetrate God.

We are the Barony. We return to spread the Word. We return to impose the Will. It is ordained. It is required.

We are the Barony. We remember those that aid us in our work. We remember those whom try to impede us. The Will is unstopable, but the Will does not Forgive.

We are the Barony. We are instruments of God. We impose the Will. Through us is born the Plan.

Oh sheesh, I just said we don't want to Hajj to the Northern Desert you dang Dreadfather!

Also, too many penetrates, methinks the monks have been cooped up in their monastary too long...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#22 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:28 PM

View PostD, on 29 January 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

We are the Barony. We own our noble title to the blessing of God. By divine right we rule. By divine decree we claim that which are our demenses by right. All that we are, all that we will be, is by Gods will. Impede us and you spit at the feet of God. Our demenses is God and we are Its blood. Attack us and you spill Its blood. Penetrate our demenses and you penetrate God.

We are the Barony. We return to spread the Word. We return to impose the Will. It is ordained. It is required.

We are the Barony. We remember those that aid us in our work. We remember those whom try to impede us. The Will is unstopable, but the Will does not Forgive.

We are the Barony. We are instruments of God. We impose the Will. Through us is born the Plan.

Oh sheesh, I just said we don't want to Hajj to the Northern Desert you dang Dreadfather!

Also, too many penetrates, methinks the monks have been cooped up in their monastary too long...

It seems part of their tenet to write all objects with capitals. Oh well, we can deal with zealots and crusaders, they tend to mellow after a bath, a meal, shared figs for dessert and a dance by the most eligible ladies of the pride.

OOC: thanks for bringing up ToD. That was fun, despite being broken and a nightmare to run.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#23 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:36 PM

View PostTapper, on 29 January 2019 - 05:28 PM, said:

View PostD, on 29 January 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

It seems part of their tenet to write all objects with capitals. Oh well, we can deal with zealots and crusaders, they tend to mellow after a bath, a meal, shared figs for dessert and a dance by the most eligible ladies of the pride.

OOC: thanks for bringing up ToD. That was fun, despite being broken and a nightmare to run.

Qadi vs Dreadfather duel ending in "you both lose" is still my biggest outrage from this entire forum :)

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#24 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:45 PM

@ khell - i start with a carrier, not a cruiser
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#25 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:50 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 29 January 2019 - 05:45 PM, said:

@ khell - i start with a carrier, not a cruiser

Thank you.

#26 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:51 PM

I'm starting to send out the game PMs, so look out for those. I'll need your secret objective choices before we can begin.

#27 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:17 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 29 January 2019 - 04:13 PM, said:

@IH, I am not ceding a system that borders my own homeworld. I am however willing to find a compromise. Remember though, D'reks claims to the contrary, the TG ability is not nearly as dangerous as you seem to think. I have 2 goods to trade, the cost of using the ability. Which means that if I chose to use it more than once or twice I give up any realistic chance of claiming the high resource objectives, or the TG objectives, that'll probably appear once we enter phase 2. It is a deterrent, not an ability I can chose to use at my leisure. This also means that regular plundering will be a real pain. How about we exchange SftT, you do not steal from me for as long as it's active, and I give you my PN on the promise that it's not used against me.

@Gnaw, if you agree to letting me expand along the western edge of the supernova without conflict from you, I'll give you no contest for the nebula planet (I dont have access to the map right now). In return I am willing to send a destroyer your way when I have one available. In addition I am open for trade, and other exchanges of PNS once we become neighbours. This way we both get access to the centre without exhausting ourselves fighting each other, and you'll get a free tech in the bargain.

Ok I did not realise you only had two commodities, that does make it a bit less powerful, though still quite powerful.

I also only have 2 commodities so I could agree to the racial PN deal, if you agree to trade it back to me for 2TG if I want to buy it back after I use it? I obviously won't use it against you unless you attack me.

#28 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

D'rek any thoughts on our position? You seem to have a very rich slice of the galaxy. the jol nar and mentak had bad blood in previous games, that doesn't need to happen in this one if they are appropriately funded, it's a dangerous galaxy out there, the mentak offer protection :)

#29 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:38 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 29 January 2019 - 06:17 PM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 29 January 2019 - 04:13 PM, said:

@IH, I am not ceding a system that borders my own homeworld. I am however willing to find a compromise. Remember though, D'reks claims to the contrary, the TG ability is not nearly as dangerous as you seem to think. I have 2 goods to trade, the cost of using the ability. Which means that if I chose to use it more than once or twice I give up any realistic chance of claiming the high resource objectives, or the TG objectives, that'll probably appear once we enter phase 2. It is a deterrent, not an ability I can chose to use at my leisure. This also means that regular plundering will be a real pain. How about we exchange SftT, you do not steal from me for as long as it's active, and I give you my PN on the promise that it's not used against me.

@Gnaw, if you agree to letting me expand along the western edge of the supernova without conflict from you, I'll give you no contest for the nebula planet (I dont have access to the map right now). In return I am willing to send a destroyer your way when I have one available. In addition I am open for trade, and other exchanges of PNS once we become neighbours. This way we both get access to the centre without exhausting ourselves fighting each other, and you'll get a free tech in the bargain.

Ok I did not realise you only had two commodities, that does make it a bit less powerful, though still quite powerful.

I also only have 2 commodities so I could agree to the racial PN deal, if you agree to trade it back to me for 2TG if I want to buy it back after I use it? I obviously won't use it against you unless you attack me.

I won’t give you an esclusive right to the PN, but I will prioritize you in good faith when it becomes available. Deal?
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#30 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:01 PM

Morgoth, we are agreeable to a non conflict pathway for you. Especially with the appetizer you offer (just think of how cheap it would be to send a fighterII our way).

Fiery beings, we need to talk. (I’m getting ready for an appointment at the moment.) It occurs to us that we would see very little need to assimilate Muaat Units if we possessed the basic war sun technology ourselves.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#31 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:07 PM

View PostGnaw, on 29 January 2019 - 07:01 PM, said:

Morgoth, we are agreeable to a non conflict pathway for you. Especially with the appetizer you offer (just think of how cheap it would be to send a fighterII our way).

Fiery beings, we need to talk. (I’m getting ready for an appointment at the moment.) It occurs to us that we would see very little need to assimilate Muaat Units if we possessed the basic war sun technology ourselves.

You'd also have very little need to play nice once you have that tech :)

#32 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:26 PM

Blend, sir, you're a bit stuck in an unfortunate, poor corner with likely only two neighbours, so all your trading to others would come in the Strategy Phase.

The Emirates propose a swap of Racial PNs, opening the galaxy up for Muaat goods.

In addition, I will hold your racial PN until such a time when you find a second buyer for it, allowing you to build up fleet capacity and keep the Nekro from copying it immediately during the first Council.

#33 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:26 PM

Apologies, a bit of a delay to sending out the rest of the PNs (i.e. I’m having dinner).
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#34 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:45 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 29 January 2019 - 06:26 PM, said:

D'rek any thoughts on our position? You seem to have a very rich slice of the galaxy. the jol nar and mentak had bad blood in previous games, that doesn't need to happen in this one if they are appropriately funded, it's a dangerous galaxy out there, the mentak offer protection :)

I'm not so sure I agree re: rich slice of the galaxy. The 3 closest and least contested planetary systems to my HW would give me 10 total res/inf in a given round if used for their highest values out of res vs inf.

That's pretty much the same as Nom, Twelve, or Macgnaw, and notably less than Morgoth's or Tapper's equivalent systems. Morgoth especially scares me since Macgnaw are saying they won't contest his path to the center, and each of those three double-planet hexes between him and MR are a 5 r+i system, plus they together make a very even resource/influence balance. Adding the 6 resources from his HW, we're looking at a Barony with 14 resources and 9 influence every round... terrifying.

And that's why I feel you *do* need to pillage the shit out of him. Yes, he only has a commodity cap of 2. But Morgoth won't need to spend his TGs on ships or CTs, nor does he need to use his Munitions Reserve ability frequently. He just needs to stockpile 6+ trade goods, at which point all his battles become guaranteed wins so long as he picks them relatively carefully. Most battles he won't need to actually spend a TG, but he can go into a 70%-odds-of-victory battle completely confident that he can spend the TGs if he needs to to assure his win. If he only has 2 or 3 TG piled up, he can't be so confident, and if he takes the lead in VP it's not insurmountable for us to stop him.

Anyways, yeah, I've at least got a decent-to-good slice resources-wise and I don't have to care about tech specialties much so that doesn't phase me. Most of all, I like it's general isolationist shape with being far from wormholes + the blank hex + sort-of-chokepoints. Though I'd have preferred a supernova to the gravity rift, of course.

I'm sure we'll end up becoming neighbours at BereLirta--Saudor, so you'll be able to pillage me then. With my commodity cap being 4 I'll probably spend the CT on Trade 2ry most rounds. Last game went 7 rounds to 14 VP, and we probably won't become neighbours until round 2, so that's most likely 5 rounds - 6 if the game is a bit slow and still goes to 7 despite the lower VP limit - where you can pillage me when I cash in commodities for trade goods, and therefore you'd gain 5 trade goods off of me. As an alternative to the pillaging, I'm willing to trade my Research Agreement for your Promise of Protection. I'd value the Research Agreement at 7 TG since performing the Tech secondary costs 1CT+4Res, so it's a higher value for you and you get it all up-front. It's a good deal for me because it assures me you don't give it to Morgoth and makes planning/calculation easier for the whole game.

Alternatively, if the issue you're worried about is being able to trade your own commodities, I'm willing to put in place a policy where I always trade 2 of my commodities to you for your 2 whenever you refresh.

#35 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:52 PM

View PostTapper, on 29 January 2019 - 07:26 PM, said:

In addition, I will hold your racial PN until such a time when you find a second buyer for it, allowing you to build up fleet capacity and keep the Nekro from copying it immediately during the first Council.

That is... not how that works. As soon as you use the War Sun PN the first time, Nekro will just copy the tech off of you, regardless of you holding the PN a 2nd time (and they can't copy the PN from Muaat no matter what happens, only the tech).

#36 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:16 PM

View PostD, on 29 January 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

That is... not how that works. As soon as you use the War Sun PN the first time, Nekro will just copy the tech off of you, regardless of you holding the PN a 2nd time (and they can't copy the PN from Muaat no matter what happens, only the tech).

Ah, but that is not what i meant. I will not use the Muaat racial until after Blend finds a buyer who can afford his fee. That way, I won't have WS researched, so Nekro can't steal it.
And when he can, at the least Blend, myself and a third player will already have the technology.

#37 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:20 PM

View PostTapper, on 29 January 2019 - 08:16 PM, said:

Ah, but that is not what i meant. I will not use the Muaat racial until after Blend finds a buyer who can afford his fee. That way, I won't have WS researched, so Nekro can't steal it.
And when he can, at the least Blend, myself and a third player will already have the technology.

You are way better at handling temptation than me

#38 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:33 PM

View PostD, on 29 January 2019 - 08:20 PM, said:

View PostTapper, on 29 January 2019 - 08:16 PM, said:

You are way better at handling temptation than me

It is not that hard to handle.
If no-one wants to buy it, we have a level playing field, unit-wise. At some point, someone will get nervous and wants to upset the balance.

And whomever wants to buy it, makes sure their neihhbours will want the tech, too. Blend thus creates his own market, and some of those who want to buy/ build the thing, will come to me in order to be able afford it.

At the very worst, we will have new a level playing field in which everyone has WS. I will still have it first (well, second). :)

#39 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:42 PM

Outside of Blend saying I will give my racial PN to whoever is my bitch for the first three rounds, why would he give it up at all? The value of that pn is just too high for most standard trades. He can just hold onto it until he gets someone willing to pay the price he deems worthy.
I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds good.

#40 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:50 PM

Honestly, I've never, ever seen that PN even be traded. Either the Muaat have no reason to want another race to have war suns, or else the price they (deservingly) want for such a ludicrously good PN effect is higher than anyone is willing to pay. With Nekro in the game, all the more so.

Share this topic:

• 242 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users