• You cannot reply to this topic

Favorite games of 2018

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:45 AM

I completely forgot to make some of these threads this year

What were your favorite games in 2018?

Doesn't have to be a game released in 2018, doesn't have to be a top ten list. Share what you enjoyed and what stood out to you.

God of War - I think this might be one of the best games I've ever played. The quality of this games design and writing is first class. Loved the reinterpretation of Kratos.

Super Mario Odyssey - this might also be one of the best games I've played. It's pure gameplay excellence. A ridiculously well made platformer.

Destiny 2 Forsaken- Destiny 2 wasn't even a blip on my radar, I was actually focused on Spider-Man and Tomb Raider but then I played the free PS+ version and I was hooked. I don't know how many hours I put into this. Probably hundreds. It's one of the best shooters I've ever played.

Spider-Man - I was very cold this game before playing it. I felt the gameplay footage and the character's seemed a step back, however once I got into the swing of things (see what I did there?) I fell in love with Spider-Man. This is a amazing open world game and a spectacular super hero experience. I hope they make a dozen of these games.

Wolfenstein 2 - this game felt a bit like it was treading water before a third finale but it's a hell of a shooter and it has some of the craziest story moments I've ever seen in a game.

COD: WW2 - I didn't expect to like this game but both the campaign and multiplayer was great fun. I think I spent 80% of this game playing Shipment and murdering people with shotguns.

Detroit Become Human - haven't finished this yet but this is the best game yet from David Cage and Quantic Dreams. I love the unique way they turn an adventure game type of choose your own story, into a tense and captivating game.

Ratchet and Clank 2016 - really good remake of original R&C. As always it's the guns and upgrades that drive there games and it's as good as it's ever been.

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider - playing a Dishonored game where you don't have to worry about chaos is fun. I murdered sooo many people in this game.

Horizon: Zero Dawn - I'm not quite as hot on this game as other people on the forum but it's a very good and unique open world game. The story was a bit meh in my opinion but it sure went places.

The naughty list. Games that disappointed me.

Far Cry 5 - I loved 3 and 4 but 5 just didn't click. Bad story, forced copy paste story chapters, uninteresting characters, fewer weapons, boring missions.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - the gameplay and exploration is still solid but the writing took a nosedive in this one. As the conclusion to the trilogy about Crofts origin, this was very disappointing.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - yeah, I know it's pretty crazy placing this game down here, but the more I played it, and more and more and more I played, it started to grate on me. The ridiculous travel distances, the inconvenient fast travel system, the lacking trapper shops, the tired Rockstar formula in general. What really soured me on the game was the story. It's not really a badly told story but it's very dissatisfying.

It's a very well made game but it's just not for me.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 24 December 2018 - 10:55 AM

#2 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 December 2018 - 03:01 PM

God of War
HZD
AC Origins.
Also liked Wolfenstein and ME Andromeda.

And the disappointment:
Shadow of War. LOVED the first one this one just didn't quite step up as a sequel should. Not to say I didn't enjoy playing it because I did, I just didn't love it as much as I hoped.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 December 2018 - 06:16 PM

Darksiders III was great. I think that' the only new release I played this year, and I really enjoyed it. (along with replaying the previous 2 games).

Shadow of Mordor was really good fun with the Nemesis system.. Bayonetta was GREAT fun. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time was solid.

Had a very good start of the year- Dishonored and Mankind Divided were both a ton of fun to sneak around and explore every nook and cranny.

Remember Me was cool. "Faery: legend of Avalon" had a really cool flying system that made that game stand out.

'Bastion" and "Dex" were two very well-made indie games I played this year.

Biggest Accomplishment in gaming would be beating all the Brood War campaigns without cheats. Also, grinding out all the achievements in Wings of Liberty on Hard.
Also also: Getting farther than ever before in the Crucible in Darksiders II (and killing that PoS ice boss)

Games that were kinda "meh" in comparison: Of Orcs and Men, Mars: War Logs, and MagRunner: Dark Pulse. Hard Reset had fun shooty, but the story and enemy variery was kinda meh. Prince of Persia Warror Within Emo Edition was frustrating (and health upgrades too hard to find), but eventually it kinda clicked and its combat became fun.

Games that disappointed the most: StarCraft II: Hearth of the Swarm. Oh, and Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones for the glitches and bugs that made me unable to keep playing took hours of my life to work around.

wow, I played a lot of games this year.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 30 December 2018 - 02:20 AM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#4 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:22 PM

I'm playing a ton of Warframe right now, so I guess that goes up here.

Rocket League continues to be a habit.

The Wolfenstien that came out this year was fun, so was vermintide 2.

Other than that, not a lot.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#5 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 25 December 2018 - 10:01 AM

Slay the Spire is hands down my game of 2018.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#6 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 27 December 2018 - 03:12 PM

Released this year:

Dead Cells - quite possibly my favourite indie game ever. So much fun despite me being a bit rubbish at it!
God of War - loved the characters and the story, combat was great fun
Detroit Become Human - a totally engrossing experience first time through, even more interesting second time
Dragon Quest XI - nowhere near finishing it, but it's a fantastic, gorgeous old school JRPG
Monster Hunter World - I got so much more out of this game than I expected. Easily my co-op highlight of the year.

Released in prior years:

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D - the best story-driven JRPG I've ever played, so many jaw-on-the-floor twists and turns, totally epic
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - haven't finished it yet but it takes everything the first game did and adds even more complexity to its systems and the combat is even better
Fire Emblem: Awakening - finally played it, having owned it and a 3DS since 2015. The game that belatedly made me fall in love with the 3DS
Breath of the Wild - an absolute joy to play

I'd say my overall favourites this year are the two Xenoblade games, Fire Emblem: Awakening, and Dead Cells.

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:16 PM

Dragon Quest is definitely a game I want to try and find time for in 2019 I've never played any of those games but the monsters are iconic.

#8 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:44 PM

I've played...

Hollow Knight - amazing Metroidvania style indie game
Spider-Man - excellent. I still need to go back and to the DLC
Smash Bros Ultimate - great as expected
God of War - I just started this. It has potential; we'll see how it holds up

#9 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:41 AM

I think the best game I played this year was God of War or Horizon. Or maybe Total War - Warhammer 2.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#10 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:05 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 27 December 2018 - 04:44 PM, said:

I've played...

Hollow Knight - amazing Metroidvania style indie game
Spider-Man - excellent. I still need to go back and to the DLC
Smash Bros Ultimate - great as expected