• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quotes Thread Possible spoilers!

#21 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 July 2019 - 11:08 PM

I'm reading On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong and it's absolutely full of astounding passages/quotes. A couple:

As a girl you watched, from a banana grove, your schoolhouse collapse after an American napalm raid. At five, you never stepped into a classroom again. Our mother tongue, then, is no mother at all -- but an orphan. Our Vietnamese a time capsule, a mark of where your education ended, ashed. Ma, to speak in our mother tongue is to speak only partially in Vietnamese, but entirely in war.

They say addiction might be linked to bipolar disorder. It's the chemicals in our brains, they say. I got the wrong chemicals, Ma. Or rather, I don't get enough of one or the other. They have a pill for it. They have an industry. They make millions. Did you know people get rich off of sadness? I want to meet the millionaire of American sadness. I want to look him in the eyes, shake his hand, and say, "It's been an honor to serve my country."

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#22 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 25 July 2019 - 02:43 AM

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

"Okay, I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler and a piece of string."

— Neal Stephenson's Anathem

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 25 July 2019 - 02:44 AM

#23 User is offline   Terminus Est 

• Corporal

Posted 25 July 2019 - 11:55 AM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Vale Rutger Hauer.

#24 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 30 July 2019 - 02:45 AM

Science tries to convince us that the material world is all there is. But science has an agenda. Surprise!

— Steven Erikson's Rejoice, A Knife To The Heart

#25 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:59 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 30 July 2019 - 02:45 AM, said:

Science tries to convince us that the material world is all there is. But science has an agenda. Surprise!

— Steven Erikson's Rejoice, A Knife To The Heart

I'd post my 'lots of Kants' meme in regard this noumenal allusion but no one will appreciate it.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#26 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:07 AM

Methodical cosmos-makers make plans and charts and maps and timelines early in the whole process. I failed to do this. Irresponsible as a tourist, I wandered around in my universe forgetting what I'd said about it last time, and then trying to conceal discrepancies with implausibilities, or with silence. If, as some think, God is no longer speaking, maybe it's because he looked at what he'd made and found himself unable to believe it.

— Ursula K. Le Guin, Introduction to Hainish Novels & Stories: Vol 1

Also from this, Le Guin describes trees as:

The quiet people who eat sunlight.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 19 August 2019 - 02:14 AM

#27 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:57 AM

View PostAbyss, on 22 October 2018 - 05:57 PM, said:

Here is an entire page of Harry Dresden quotes. https://www.goodread...g/harry-dresden

Do not click unless you have time to read all 228 of them.

You're warned welcome.

You gave me fair warning but sammit abyss!

The quote abput stupid being worse than evil. I love it and think its so apt. Politics and climate change and what have you. That quote nails it in so few words.

#28 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:53 PM

Reading Kelly Thompson's fantastic Mr. and Mrs. X series, about newlywed Rogue and Gambit. At one point, Gambit and Spiral strike a deal where Gambit steals something for her, while Spiral works to protect Rogue from Mojo. Gambit's narration to end the issue as he heads off on his mission is ::chefskiss::

Gambit said:

Because plain and simple...love is hell. Heaven too. But the hell bit is the rub.

You'll do anything. You'll steal a thing. Fight a war. Die a million times. Is it enough?

Will it ever be enough?

No.

Does it matter?

No.

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#29 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:09 AM

A short one from Bernard Cornwell's Enemy of God. Derfel the narrator is watching a young woman run into the sea.

She reminded me of one of the sea nymphs, who danced in Britain before the Romans came.

One of the things I love about those books (it's a long list) is how Cornwell captures the sense of the old world that was lost - and that quote is just one of those that encapsulates that perfectly.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 04 September 2019 - 10:09 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#30 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:42 AM

I love that whole trilogy. He gives old Britain the magic without having actual magic, just the power of belief.

This one's quite relevant today.
'I had hoped,’ he said softly, ‘that we had weaned Dumnonia away from madness.’‘You gave them peace, Lord,’ I said, ‘and peace gave them the chance to breed their madness. If we’d been fighting the Saxons all those years their energies would have gone into battle and survival, but instead we gave them the chance to foment their idiocies.’"

Seeing a few Cornwell/Sharpe posts reminded me of my favourite historical novel series, that I found when I wanted more of the same.

I can't recommend Patrick O'Brian enough. On so many levels, he just stands high above the others.

Just a couple of quotes. Stephen rarely loses it, he's usually working undercover against France in his main profession as a naturalist, and keeps his cool and reserved appearance, so I loved this bit in 'The Nutmeg of Consolation.'

'There’s my answer,’ said the big man, with a blow that knocked Stephen’s wig from his head. Stephen leapt back, whipped out his sword and cried, ‘Draw, man, draw, or I shall stick you like a hog.’
Lowe unsheathed his sabre: little good did it do him. In two hissing passes his right thigh was ploughed up. At the third Stephen’s sword was through his shoulder. And at the issue of a confused struggle at close quarters he was flat on his back, Stephen’s foot on his chest, Stephen’s sword-point at his throat and the cold voice saying above him, ‘Ask my pardon or you are a dead man. Ask my pardon, I say, or you are a dead man, a dead man.’
‘I ask your pardon,’said Lowe, and his eyes filled with blood.

A gem from Clarissa Oakes - ‘No. I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world."

And one more from 'The Commodore.'

"Stephen looked up, and after a moment said, ‘To a tormented mind there is nothing, I believe, more irritating than comfort. Apart from anything else it often implies superior wisdom in the comforter. But I am very sorry for your trouble, my dear.’
‘Thank you, Stephen. Had you told me that there was always a tomorrow, I think I should have thrust your calendar down your throat.’"

This post has been edited by Traveller: 06 September 2019 - 11:46 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#31 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:58 AM

I've been told that caring and compassion are no strings attached. You give them without thought for what you get. You let it out, without pulling in. Everything comes with a string these days. You pull it, and the weave of the world frays a little bit more. Maybe that's why the world feels like it's falling apart — everyone keeps pulling.

— Unknown

A little jejune, but I'm finding it resonant. It sort of parallels Erikson-cum-Itkovian's thoughts on compassion and its priceless nature.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 12 September 2019 - 02:02 AM

#32 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 25 September 2019 - 03:46 AM

This concern, feebly called "love of nature," seemed to Shevek to be something much broader than love. There are souls, he thought, whose umbilicus has never been cut. They never got weaned from the universe. They do not understand death as an enemy; they look forward to rotting and turning into humus. It was strange to see Takver take a leaf into her hand, or even a rock. She became an extension of it, it of her.

— Le Guin, The Dispossessed

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 25 September 2019 - 03:47 AM

#33 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:08 PM

From Gideon the Ninth, by Tamsyn Muir Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#34 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:18 PM