Malazan Empire: Trying to figure out which books to bring and which to leave - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trying to figure out which books to bring and which to leave

#21 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:18 PM

View PostAbyss, on 16 October 2018 - 03:24 PM, said:

Here, let me make it easy for you...

Take the next ten or so dead tree books that you have not yet read and plan to. Pack those.

Tell yourself that if you desperately need to reread any of those other books, you can get an ebook and do so because its much faster to search and you can have it with you everywhere, not just at your hovel that you're barely going to live in for long enough to grow mould in the shower. The MBF is available in collected ebook edition, goes on sale routinely, and Steve needs your money more than you do.

Leave all your other books at your parents' place.

You (and your spine) are welcome.

Best advice yet!
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#22 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:21 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 17 October 2018 - 03:50 PM, said:

A Kindle would just be another backlit screen, and I always read in bed of a night. I'd have to change that habit first I think.

If you're getting an actual e-ink Kindle e-reader, that is untrue. An e-ink screen is opaque, so a Kindle e-reader is side-lit, essentially the same as shining an LED flashlight on a book's pages. (Or, if you're like me, shining a flashlight on an older model, pre-light Kindle.)

Now, if you're talking about a Kindle Fire tablet, then yes, that's a backlit screen just like any other tablet computer. (I really hate how tablets and phones have overshadowed dedicated e-ink readers, to the point where people now just say "ebooks are bad for you!" No, dummy, it's your choice of reading device that's the problem!)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#23 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:15 AM

View PostBriar King, on 17 October 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

What the hell is sleep hygiene?

Mostly a silly medical term for "common sense". It's all the things they tell you if you complain about having trouble sleeping (low light in your bedroom, no looking at backlit screens an hour/two hours before trying to sleep, have a hot bath before sleep, use lavender stuff blah blah) before they go "Oh, you're stressed? Yeah, that could be it!"

Some of it is good advice, some of it I'm sceptical.

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 17 October 2018 - 10:21 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 17 October 2018 - 03:50 PM, said:

A Kindle would just be another backlit screen, and I always read in bed of a night. I'd have to change that habit first I think.

If you're getting an actual e-ink Kindle e-reader, that is untrue. An e-ink screen is opaque, so a Kindle e-reader is side-lit, essentially the same as shining an LED flashlight on a book's pages. (Or, if you're like me, shining a flashlight on an older model, pre-light Kindle.)

Now, if you're talking about a Kindle Fire tablet, then yes, that's a backlit screen just like any other tablet computer. (I really hate how tablets and phones have overshadowed dedicated e-ink readers, to the point where people now just say "ebooks are bad for you!" No, dummy, it's your choice of reading device that's the problem!)

Oh, that's good to know, thank you :lol: I had made that same error and assumed they were all one and the same.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 18 October 2018 - 08:15 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#24 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:23 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 18 October 2018 - 08:15 AM, said:

Oh, that's good to know, thank you :lol: I had made that same error and assumed they were all one and the same.

Happy to help (and to spread the Gospel of E-ink.) I hope you check it out!
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#25 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:30 PM

View Postworry, on 16 October 2018 - 06:50 PM, said:

Buy all new books.

I wish I had done this.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#26 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:33 PM

View PostBriar King, on 17 October 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

What the hell is sleep hygiene?

It's been studied for decades. It worked for me for awhile. I still do some helpful things just by habit.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#27 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:18 PM

Just counted the books on my to-read shelves, and I'm at 127.

I need to stop buying books.

#28 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:02 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 25 June 2019 - 10:18 PM, said:

Just counted the books on my to-read shelves, and I'm at 127.

I need to get more shelves.

FTFY.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users