Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stonny's hair

#1 User is offline   RACHEL 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:56 PM

I am re-reading MOI and in the beginning it says Stonny has thick black hair. Later in the book a character sees her and thinks of her as the red haired woman. Is this just a typo earlier in the book or is the hair color change significant? She has red hair on the cover of my book so it just stuck out to me.

#2 User is offline   Adhara 

• Lady of Black Magic
  • Returning to my origins

Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:19 PM

If it helps, I remember Tattersail as black haired and people in the forum told me she is a redhead.
May be it doesn't matter. Erikson is not focused in his characters' appearance.
When the arrow is on the bow, it has to go

#3 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:54 PM

View PostMorgan Lefay, on 24 September 2018 - 06:19 PM, said:

Erikson is not focused in his characters' appearance.

Quite true. Doesn't it take, like, 3 books before he mentions Quick Ben is black?

In any case, Gardens of the Moon was written many years before it was published, so whenever there's a discrepancy between it and DG/MoI/HoC/etc, it's generally safe to assume that the latter book is the correct one (e.g. the original version of GotM had Orfantal as a woman, though this was updated in later reprints).

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:25 PM

I thought he mentioned Ben was black the first time Tattersail encounters him at the start of GoTM, but could be wrong.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:52 PM

i could be wrong but isn't she covered in blood when the 'red-haired' thing comes up?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:05 PM

Here are the quotes in discussion from Chapter 3 and Chapter 17.

Stonny's fine green and black attire was covered in brown slime. Her thick black hair hung down over her face, dripping milky water.

Boots crunched beside her as someone stepped to the roof's edge. She looked up, to see the red-haired woman Mallet had brought back from almost-dead.

I think it's just a mistake that happens in a book with so many characters. I've seen similar issues throughout the books while adding info to the wiki. As recently as Fall of Light there was a character who just suddenly started getting referred to by a completely different character's name.

Also, here's Quick Ben's description from his first appearance in Chapter 2 of GotM.

The man in the lead—a sergeant by the torque on his arm—came up to Tattersail. Set deep in a lined, exhausted face, his dark gray eyes searched hers dispassionately. "This one?" he asked, turning to the tall, thin black-skinned man who came up beside him.This man shook his head. "No, the one we want is over there," he said. Though he spoke Malazan, his harsh accent was Seven Cities.

This post has been edited by ArchieVist: 01 October 2018 - 09:06 PM

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 October 2018 - 01:41 AM

View PostArchieVist, on 01 October 2018 - 09:05 PM, said:

Here are the quotes in discussion from Chapter 3 and Chapter 17.

Stonny's fine green and black attire was covered in brown slime. Her thick black hair hung down over her face, dripping milky water.

Boots crunched beside her as someone stepped to the roof's edge. She looked up, to see the red-haired woman Mallet had brought back from almost-dead.

I think it's just a mistake that happens in a book with so many characters. I've seen similar issues throughout the books while adding info to the wiki. As recently as Fall of Light there was a character who just suddenly started getting referred to by a completely different character's name.

Also, here's Quick Ben's description from his first appearance in Chapter 2 of GotM.

The man in the lead—a sergeant by the torque on his arm—came up to Tattersail. Set deep in a lined, exhausted face, his dark gray eyes searched hers dispassionately. "This one?" he asked, turning to the tall, thin black-skinned man who came up beside him.This man shook his head. "No, the one we want is over there," he said. Though he spoke Malazan, his harsh accent was Seven Cities.

The black hair thing might come down to wet and covered w slime then, if it matters.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   Not Noto 

• Corporal

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:11 PM

Girls dye their hair all the time. Stonny also want to feel pretty sometimes.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users