Malazan Empire: Cause - The Malazan Yank! - Malazan Empire

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cause - The Malazan Yank! Tell me about the land of the Free, the home of the Brave!

#421 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:38 AM

View PostAbyss, on 13 February 2020 - 04:32 AM, said:

View PostCause, on 13 February 2020 - 12:09 AM, said:

I would like to dedicate today's post to bitch about the obscure US tax filing system!

What's so hard?

1. How much money did you make this year?
2. How much do you have left?
3. Send '2.'.

The whole american tax system is absurd. It boggles my mind that they think that their insane and twisted monster of a system is acceptable or even functional.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#422 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:00 AM

I’m not working yet but as a Greencard holder the us considers itself entitled to my global earnings. If the us considers it would have taxed me more than South Africa did I owe the balance to Uncle Sam. I don’t think this will be the case but I still have to file to keep my green card in good standing.

None of the tax software companies can help with this. The irs is a filing wasteland because the software companies block them making their own software. Their are at least ten forms called an 1040, 1040a and 1040ze/ one of them Is perhaps the right one.

A tax attorney told me he could do it for me for 2000 dollars. I’d rather read the tax cowe over the next month.

#423 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:01 AM

View PostCause, on 13 February 2020 - 08:00 AM, said:

I'm not working yet but as a Greencard holder the us considers itself entitled to my global earnings. If the us considers it would have taxed me more than South Africa did I owe the balance to Uncle Sam. I don't think this will be the case but I still have to file to keep my green card in good standing.

None of the tax software companies can help with this. The irs is a filing wasteland because the software companies block them making their own software. Their are at least ten forms called an 1040, 1040a and 1040ze/ one of them Is perhaps the right one.

A tax attorney told me he could do it for me for 2000 dollars. I'd rather read the tax cowe over the next month.

In Norway the "IRS" tells you how much you owe in taxes. If you have no issue with the numbers you simply accept it. No response or anything. After the set respond date it's automatically accepted. If you take issue with any of their numbers (and it is your responsibility to make sure you're paying the right amount) you alter them as you see fit and send in your revised version. All done online, of course.

I typically have to alter it a little as I pay some property tax on my apartment, and they tend to forget to take into account the increase in property values from the year before. It'a a simple process. Otherwise I rarely have to alter anything. They get my salary from my employer, and my debt from my bank. My deductibles are mostly reported to them directly too (pension savings, union dues that sort of thing) though if I've given to charity I typically need to add that myself.

Even if you run your own company you rarely need any help from a tax professional. My sort of expertise is only necessary for large companies or other organizations with particularly complicated structures.

The American system is crazy.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#424 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:11 PM

https://youtu.be/Fj4anUL-LvY

I'm self employed in the UK so have to do my own taxes. I did my own returns for years, took me like a half hour max once per year.

When I had a year of working and paying taxes in a few calls untires I got an accountant to sort it for me.

But if you're employed to a company your taxes are l calculated for youand automatically sorted out

Just like our shops and restaurants, the price tag you see includes all taxes already, so no trying to work it out on the fly.

#425 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 February 2020 - 02:17 PM

View PostCause, on 13 February 2020 - 08:00 AM, said:

I’m not working yet but as a Greencard holder the us considers itself entitled to my global earnings. If the us considers it would have taxed me more than South Africa did I owe the balance to Uncle Sam. I don’t think this will be the case but I still have to file to keep my green card in good standing.

A tax attorney told me he could do it for me for 2000 dollars. I’d rather read the tax cowe over the next month.

You do not need to pay someone $2k to do your taxes.

There's an earnings threshold, I forget what the exact amount is, but if you're under that, this becomes dramatically easier. I suspect that you will be under it. Just do your research on irs dot gov and slowly work on it.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#426 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:06 PM

I second this. Just go slowly and read and look things up on line. Don't be afraid to call the IRS. The will actually be very helpful to you.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#427 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:29 PM

I'll do it for $150.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#428 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:27 PM

I'll pretend to do it for a cornbeef sandwich

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#429 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:36 PM

Yeah Im not paying 2000 dollars! Madness! I thought for the first and only time that I will have the dual tax problem id pay someone to help me. In South Africa I could file my own taxes but I pay some guy 10$ a year and he does it for me and I feel better trusting him and for ten dollars why not. But 2000!

#430 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:50 PM

View PostExcrementEncephalon, on 13 February 2020 - 09:30 PM, said:

Fucking Canadians

That costs more.

#431 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:16 AM

I’m contemplating a trip to Washington for a weekend or so, any advice on what to see?

White House
Smiths onion
National mall
Washington monument
Lincoln memorial
Zoological mall

Anything else must see? Any nightlife! Restaurants that are must see? Any forum items who live in the capital?

#432 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:16 PM

View PostCause, on 15 February 2020 - 12:16 AM, said:

I'm contemplating a trip to Washington for a weekend or so, any advice on what to see?

White House
Smiths onion
National mall
Washington monument
Lincoln memorial
Zoological mall

Anything else must see? Any nightlife! Restaurants that are must see? Any forum items who live in the capital?

Skip the white house.

Go to the Smithsonian instead. Though honestly you could spend a week in there and still not see everything.

Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#433 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:25 PM

View PostKanese S, on 19 February 2020 - 07:16 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 15 February 2020 - 12:16 AM, said:

I'm contemplating a trip to Washington for a weekend or so, any advice on what to see?

White House
Smiths onion
National mall
Washington monument
Lincoln memorial
Zoological mall

Skip the white house.

Go to the Smithsonian instead. Though honestly you could spend a week in there and still not see everything.

The Smithsonian is a definitely hilite, but current occupant notwithstanding, the White House is worth seeing... do a walk by it if you can't be bothered doing a tour.

My Washington DC rastaurant list is hopelessly out of date but these sites are generally reliable...

https://www.tvfoodma...v/DC/Washington

https://www.dinersdr...-locations.html

Also, i don't remember the name of the tour company, pretty sure you can google it easily, they do a very cool 'Illuminati' walking tour of the inner core of DC with a lot of film and history and conspiracy references and at the end you get to sacrifice a goat at the Lincoln memorial and run around naked covered in blood and entrails.

#434 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:07 PM

Take a water pump with you and DIY the whole "drain the swamp" thing, cause Trumpa-loompa sure hasn't followed through with his lie that he was going to drain it.

[EDIT]its gotten a lot swampier under fatty mctanbed

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 19 February 2020 - 09:10 PM

#435 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 March 2020 - 09:34 PM

Just had a real NY moment. I was watching my phone on the subway when a man standing next to my seat started swearing aggressively. I thought he was screaming at me and thought things were going down when I realise he was swearing at a black man a black man across my head. Okay neo nazi I thought! However he than started saying the only good cop is a dead cop, all cop commissioners are Irish and also corrupt. So I’m thinking I misunderstood what happened before and I’m dealing with a ‘black lives matter’ type radical. He the. Switched to attacking women. I’m deciding if this man is dangerous and if we need to do something when I look around and see that everyone is just ignoring him.

The man was possible white but also dark enough to be maybe Hispanic. No idea what was happening. My best guess is just mentally ill and spouting of crazy stuff to get a reaction maybe.

Was incredible to see an entire subway car, more than fifty people at least just ignore him.

#436 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 09 March 2020 - 04:50 AM

View PostCause, on 08 March 2020 - 09:34 PM, said:

Just had a real NY moment. I was watching my phone on the subway when a man standing next to my seat started swearing aggressively. I thought he was screaming at me and thought things were going down when I realise he was swearing at a black man a black man across my head. Okay neo nazi I thought! However he than started saying the only good cop is a dead cop, all cop commissioners are Irish and also corrupt. So I’m thinking I misunderstood what happened before and I’m dealing with a ‘black lives matter’ type radical. He the. Switched to attacking women. I’m deciding if this man is dangerous and if we need to do something when I look around and see that everyone is just ignoring him.

The man was possible white but also dark enough to be maybe Hispanic. No idea what was happening. My best guess is just mentally ill and spouting of crazy stuff to get a reaction maybe.

Was incredible to see an entire subway car, more than fifty people at least just ignore him.

Just another day in the greatest city on Earth!

#437 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 March 2020 - 03:41 PM

Just had a real NY moment. I was watching my phone on the subway when a man standing next to my seat started swearing aggressively. I thought he was screaming at me and thought things were going down when I realise he was swearing at a black man a black man across my head. Okay neo nazi I thought! However he than started saying the only good cop is a dead cop, all cop commissioners are Irish and also corrupt. So I'm thinking I misunderstood what happened before and I'm dealing with a 'black lives matter' type radical. He the. Switched to attacking women. I'm deciding if this man is dangerous and if we need to do something when I look around and see that everyone is just ignoring him.

something something New York Minute something.

...tho to be fair i see this same thing routinely in three cities.

#438 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 March 2020 - 05:25 PM

Sounds like your typical Trump rally.... heyoooooooo!

It is not that uncommon in a big city though. That whole - cat ladies pushing shopping carts and guys having conversations with a brick wall thing.

#439 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 11 March 2020 - 05:32 PM

Just had a real NY moment. I was watching my phone on the subway when a man standing next to my seat started swearing aggressively. I thought he was screaming at me and thought things were going down when I realise he was swearing at a black man a black man across my head. Okay neo nazi I thought! However he than started saying the only good cop is a dead cop, all cop commissioners are Irish and also corrupt. So I'm thinking I misunderstood what happened before and I'm dealing with a 'black lives matter' type radical. He the. Switched to attacking women. I'm deciding if this man is dangerous and if we need to do something when I look around and see that everyone is just ignoring him.

Well yeah.

Are you normally in the habit of not ignoring crazy people on the subway?

Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#440 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 March 2020 - 05:18 AM

When things go back to normal, celebrate, there's a lot out there to explore. A lot of miracles to discover that will have you reexamining your orientation in this strange new land.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users