Malazan Empire: If MBotF was to become a movie, what kind would you like it to be? - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

If MBotF was to become a movie, what kind would you like it to be?

Poll: If MBotF was to become a movie, what kind would you like it to be? (92 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Anime full-lenght movie/s (4 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

2. Anime series (11 votes [11.96%])

Percentage of vote: 11.96%

3. American style full-lenght movie/s (20 votes [21.74%])

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

4. American style series (30 votes [32.61%])

Percentage of vote: 32.61%

5. CGI animated movie/s (Advent Children-like) (11 votes [11.96%])

Percentage of vote: 11.96%

6. Live-action movie/s (16 votes [17.39%])

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Roland 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 September 2005 - 02:40 PM

I'm not talking Chain of Dogs here. I mean a full-scale Malazan expirience :D

Personally I would love to see it in Advent Children CGI-style. There is no better way to capture action-sequenses OR Anomander's coolness :D

#2 User is offline   Hume 

• Banned Like a Mushroom
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 24 September 2005 - 04:30 PM

Personally, I wouldnt want that whole LotR etheral style theme, with that classical type music in the background.

Give the feel of a little more 'modern' if that makes any sense or should I say 'real'.
The movie I can think of that comes closest to what MbotF may be like is Gladiator, a tthe same time Blackhawk down comes to mind simply because of the way so many things are happening at once and at the same time you get a feel of the action being constant.

#3 User is offline   Roland 

• High Fist

Posted 24 September 2005 - 05:16 PM

What I have against the live-action movie is that many (if not most) of the characters in the series are just SO big and grand, I don't think any actor could play them without looking utterly pathetic...

Whereas...

http://media.adventchildren.net/screens/sc...cial&imageid=16
http://media.adventchildren.net/screens/sc...cial&imageid=17

Just change the skin colour ant there is NO better Anomander Rake.

Also in CGI characters can do things that no actor can, despite the help of blue screen and FX. Any one who has seen Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, knows what I'm talking about :D

#4 Guest_Sha'ik Reborn_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:46 PM

i think i might have to agree with Roland on this
although i totally understand what you mean Hume

#5 User is offline   Lather 

• Lieutenant

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:58 PM

Personally, I wouldnt want that whole LotR etheral style theme, with that classical type music in the background.

well i just have to say this about THAT; horrifying score!! they should have employed Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull to do the score and included some of Zepplin's LoTR stuff from their early albums (Misty Mountain Hop, Battle of Evermore, etc) instead of that schmaltzy, over-bearing movie score crap.

and regarding a Malazan movie, truthfully, i have a hard time suspending my disbelief with anything but actual human beings as actors so i voted for an american style film but, i don't think americans could make these films. better look to the Chinese, Japanese, or really ANYone besides americans!!! :eek3:

Zhang Yimou, for instance. (Hero, House of Flying Daggers, etc)

#6 User is offline   Roland 

• High Fist

Posted 24 September 2005 - 07:29 PM

I told you - watch Advent Children and THEN we'll talk more :D

#7 User is offline   garden_rake 

• First Sword

Posted 24 September 2005 - 07:41 PM

@ roland: some good points, but with animé/total cgi or the like i just find that some emotion is lost somewhere. it could well just be me, but to convey the emotion required in a scene such as whiskeyjacks/coltaine/itkovians death, it would have to be a human to really make it

#8 Guest_Killanthir_*

Posted 24 September 2005 - 08:43 PM

I agree with Hume re: Gladiator (the first battle scene, all gritty and blue/grey, mud on the faces, dirty clothes). Definitely not like Troy or even LOTR -- too soft, and in the case of Troy, too clean and empty. Peter Jackson really messed up the action/battle scenes IMO, but then thats a whole other can of worms.

I also agree with Roland re: Advent Children. The sorcery, non-human characters, the action -- very well suited to Advent Children style CGI animation. On the other hand, CGI can't convey the kind of emotional depth that a real actor can. AC was eye candy that I watched in a very detached, non-emotional way.

#9 User is offline   Roland 

• High Fist

Posted 24 September 2005 - 08:58 PM

[Off] May be you never played FF VII then? One cannot ramein unmoved if he knows the background of the characters and all they've been through[/Off]

I agree that no CGI could create the same emotional depth as a real actor but I don't think special effects have reached the necessary level to achieve all the fantasy elements from MBotF in a live-action... May be if they have the financial backup LotR had... But deffinitely it needs to be more mature than it :D

#10 Guest_Killanthir_*

Posted 24 September 2005 - 09:10 PM

I agree, money plays a big part. Unfortunately we'll never see LOTR-type budgets for a dark/violent setting like MBotF. Even LOTR had to be watered down.

#11 User is offline   Roland 

• High Fist

Posted 24 September 2005 - 09:13 PM

Violent? I agree, but why dark? I've never felt anything dark in the Malazan world. It's just complicated and serious... But you're right that it's never gonna get the money LotR had... Although now, after it's reat success (LotR's), the chances are a little bigger.

#12 User is offline   Trotts 

• Barghast Sapper-Wannabe
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:10 PM

i would have added another choice on there. personally i like animation, i like anime but i dont think it would capture properly the darker tones of the novels. i havent seen advent children, but im really not the biggest fan of cg and all that stuff.

i would rather see the series in a well animated spawn-esque miniseries.

#13 User is offline   Roland 

• High Fist

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:52 PM

Well, there are SO dark animes you'd get sick of them :D Believe me, I'm an otaku :D And I DID add this option. Only I forgot to write "animation" after the two "american style" things :p

Edit: Oh, and DO watch AC. You will become a big fan of CG, I promise you :p I also wasn't before that.

#14 User is offline   Trotts 

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:04 AM

i know, i know, everyone has said how amazing it is, lol, i just need to get on that.

:D but something like spawn, only with a little more effort put into making the animations smooth and such would be pretty wicked. i definetly agree that live action is out of the question. i just dont think there are any actors for some of the more intense parts.

#15 Guest_Killanthir_*

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:24 AM

Come on guys -- doesn't anyone wanna see Will Smith as Quick Ben?! Am I really the only one?!?!

#16 User is offline   Trotts 

Posted 25 September 2005 - 02:11 AM

will smith maybe, i just dont see dj jazzy jeff falling into the kalam role, haha

(as an aside, i think id prolly change my vote to cg/advent style, cos even though i voted anime, i dont think the story would sit properly in an anime format)

#17 User is offline   Lather 

• Lieutenant

Posted 25 September 2005 - 02:42 AM

Come on guys -- doesn't anyone wanna see Will Smith as Quick Ben?! Am I really the only one?!?!

i do i do!!!!!! :D

can we do a casting wish list thread????

(altho this did get kinda messy over at the Three Seas forum attempting to cast Prince of Nothing series, cause SOME people had some rather DUBIOUS casting choices and NO sense of humor!! gods, i'll get catigated for THAT one!!) :D

#18 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 25 September 2005 - 04:41 AM

Casting suggestions aplenty in the Chain of Dogs movie thread... http://www.malazanem...hread.php?t=329
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#19 User is offline   Lather 

• Lieutenant

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:23 AM

oh yeah...i knew i was talking about this elsewhere but i got confused. inhalants. :D short term memory loss. :D

#20 User is offline   Roland 

• High Fist

Posted 25 September 2005 - 08:34 AM

Ergh! Will Smith?! I'm gonna puke... And Quick Ben, no less... Maybe Chris Rock for Anomander Rake?

But really, let's not turn this topic into "the cast for the never-to-become-reality live action", ok?

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users