Malazan Empire: L.E Modesitt's Recluce Saga - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

L.E Modesitt's Recluce Saga

#1 Guest_Raven_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:08 PM

Since I haven't seen any mention of this series on these forums, I figured I'd send a recommendation your way. L.E Modesitt, Jr. has written an awesome fantasy series called the Saga of Recluce that I think fans of SE will appreciate. (at least it's something to read until TBH is out :D)The novels are fairly standalone, although I would start with the Magic of Recluce followed by Towers of the Sunset (tied for best book in series imho). Modesitt's writing style is very easy to follow, yet allows for incredible amounts of detail. His take on magic is as fresh as SE's and fits well with his use of shifting perspectives to keep the reader indetifying with all sides and characters (one of his strengths: the humanity of his characters. Check it out.

#2 User is offline   Tenaka Khan 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:17 PM

Yep, even though I don't think LEM is on par with SE I really enjoyed his Recluce series. What I found interesting (though I had some problems to begin with) is how he manages to draw the reader in by the 'realism' of his storytelling, i.e. that almost every step the narrating character takes is written down. That may sound a bit boring I know, but it isn't :eek3: If you look for something while waiting for TBH or GRRM's new release, I can only second Raven's recommendation. I guess his style is not something everyone enjoys (as with all other others;)), but I really liked his kind of new take on how to tell a fantasy story:)

#3 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:23 PM

Yeah, I read The Magic of Recluce. Didn't really impress me, so skipped the rest. I thought Lerris (?) was a whiny brat, and Modesitt's habit of spelling out sound effects (like Gairloch's neighing every few pages) was just stupid - he definitely could have used a better editor. Did they get better after that?
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#4 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:29 PM

That's in the spirit of what I would have said only slightly more diplomatic than I would have chosen to be.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#5 Guest_Raven_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:30 PM

Hahaha, well I didnt want to discourage people by saying that the first book in the series is tied for worst in the series (imo). Yeah, The Magic of Recluce I didnt like, but then again maybe thats the reason I stuck with the series...I started out of order. :D

#6 User is offline   fortyseven 

• Fist

Posted 24 September 2005 - 01:22 AM

The published order isn't chronological. The books are standalone though some are 2 book stand a lones. No character is the main character for more than 2 books. Magic of Recluse is one of my least favorite.

#7 User is offline   ObsoleteResolve 

• Fist

Posted 26 September 2005 - 04:36 AM

Yeah. The "sound-effects" he does causes me to grit my teeth every time I see it. But, overall, I do actually like alot of his stuff. The present tense books are a little rough, but that's just because I rarely ever see present tense done really good, to the point where I can overcome that part of the stuff.

But, I definitely liked one of his latest, "Wellspring..." Pretty interesting, especially since the main character was distinctly older than his average character, had kids, the whole shebang. I also rather like the mundanity of alot of the stuff- the characters are carpenters, barrelmakers, other assorted peasantry jobs.

The series gets better with the later duology parts. The early stuff is very... meh. If he creates another f'in' book with someone leaving Recluce on a friggen "dangergeld," I will kill someone.

.david
"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!"- Kurt Vonnegut

#8 User is offline   fortyseven 

• Fist

Posted 26 September 2005 - 04:39 AM

Obsolete, I really liked Wellspring too. Have you read Ordermaster?

He's planning books set in Hamor btw. One of the Emperors was related to a dangergelder.

#9 User is offline   ObsoleteResolve 

• Fist

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:43 AM

No, sadly. I'm poor, and the only book of his I bought hardcover was Magi of Cyador, mainly because he was doing a signing for it near Baltimore. So I got his signature on it.

There's so damned many good hardcover books I want to buy... damn...

I keep waiting for Ordermaster to be paperback.

.david
"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!"- Kurt Vonnegut

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users