Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Podcasts Any good recomendations

#1 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:48 PM

Any good recommendations for fun an entertaining podcasts. I have taken to trying to walk more for exercise and some audio goes a long way. Will also be trying audio books.

I guess the following categories would appeal the most
Funny
science
gaming
TV
Still anything top shelf I welcome

#2 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:12 PM

View PostCause, on 06 July 2018 - 12:48 PM, said:

Any good recommendations for fun an entertaining podcasts. I have taken to trying to walk more for exercise and some audio goes a long way. Will also be trying audio books.

I guess the following categories would appeal the most
Funny
science
gaming
TV
Still anything top shelf I welcome

I have a bunch I listen to, some of which you may already be aware of, some not.

- 99 Percent Invisible. Easily the best podcast I listen to. I won't describe it to you, just listen. You won't regret it.
- My Favourite Murder. True Crime podcast, done by two female comedians. Can be a bit squicky if your squeamish about True Crime, but always entertaining, and always informative.
- Someone Knows Something. Sort of true crime as well, but more analytical and usually cold cases. Season 1 is only okay (you can skip it, each season is a brand new unconnected story), but S2-4 are all uniformly excellent and riveting.
- What Trump Can Teach Us About Con Law. The host of 99pi, Roman Mars, and a constitutional law professor friend Elizabeth Joh basically dissect the things Trumps says and apply them to the constitution and government of the US and see what holds up and what doesn't. It's excellent.
- Zealot. Aussie podcast about Cults. The host is really funny, and it's quite informative.
- ESPN 30 For 30 podcast. Unusual stories related to sport (but rarely directly about them, as I don't much like sports on the face of it, so this is not that) or sport personalities. Really awesome stuff. High quality.

Hope that helps and you might sample some of those. :D

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 July 2018 - 02:14 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:11 PM

Some suggestions

Science related: Radio Lab.

Entertainment: Car talk, Welcome to Nightvale.

Economy/Culture: Planet Money, The Indicator, The Economist, Trump, Inc.

Gaming: Giant Bombcast, Giant Beastcast, Game Scoop, Idle Thumbs.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 06 July 2018 - 03:12 PM

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:53 PM

Thrilling Adventure Hour. Comedy/drama audio show, does a variety of skits so you can pick what you prefer. Two in particular, Sparks Nevada Marshal on Mars, and Beyond Belief, are pure crack candy. They wrapped about two years ago but there are over 200 episodes online for free and they add more as they do reunion/special shows a few times a year. The guest stars are fairly high profile and awesome.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:12 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 July 2018 - 05:53 PM, said:

Thrilling Adventure Hour. Comedy/drama audio show, does a variety of skits so you can pick what you prefer. Two in particular, Sparks Nevada Marshal on Mars, and Beyond Belief, are pure crack candy. They wrapped about two years ago but there are over 200 episodes online for free and they add more as they do reunion/special shows a few times a year. The guest stars are fairly high profile and awesome.

Oh great, I needed another podcast like I needed a hole in the head Abyss! Fuck.

*downloads*
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:26 PM

Welcome to Night Vale - hilarious "radio show" from the fictional town of Night Vale in the Nevada Desert where all sorts of consist theories are true and weird and wonderful supernatural things occur. It's hard to explain but it's very funny and strange.

Similarly, The Beef and Dairy Network podcast. It's a spoof podcast for the fictional "Beef and Dairy Network" which is all about beef and dairy - gives news, interviews and stories about the world of beef and dairy. Again it sounds weird and it is but it is a dry and hilarious humour.

Personal plug. I appeared on a podcast called Whisky and Words talking about my writing. It's a bit boring really but it's got my lovely Yorkshire tones on it. :D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 07 July 2018 - 02:55 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 July 2018 - 06:12 PM, said:

Oh great, I needed another podcast like I needed a hole in the head Abyss! Fuck.

*downloads*

To make it worse for you, Acker and Blacker the writers are huge comics fans and it shows. Both wrote short run comics based on the podcast, and had solid runs on Deadpool and Wolverine.

#8 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:26 AM

Fitting our new kitchen at the mo. Put on several episodes of 99% Invisible last night while fitting cupboards and extractor, so cheers for that QT.

I'll try TAH today, got three more cupboards to go.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:18 AM

View PostTraveller, on 09 July 2018 - 07:26 AM, said:

Fitting our new kitchen at the mo. Put on several episodes of 99% Invisible last night while fitting cupboards and extractor, so cheers for that QT.

I'll try TAH today, got three more cupboards to go.

Awesome!

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:56 PM

View PostAbyss, on 07 July 2018 - 02:55 AM, said:

*downloads*

To make it worse for you, Acker and Blacker the writers are huge comics fans and it shows. Both wrote short run comics based on the podcast, and had solid runs on Deadpool and Wolverine.

Listened to just one Sparks Nevada episode so far...and laughed a LOT. REALLY great stuff. Thanks for the recco!

#11 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:02 PM

Did anyone mention the CheapShow yet? It is a PodCast with Eli Silverman and Paul Gannon. It is a comedy podcast. It is a mix of studio recordings and tapings done at comedy clubs and comic cons.

There is also Technical Difficulties with the awesome Tom Scott, which is a science-based podcast.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#12 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:57 PM

I'm going to try Thrilling Adventure Hour I think.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:35 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 July 2018 - 12:56 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 07 July 2018 - 02:55 AM, said:

*downloads*

Listened to just one Sparks Nevada episode so far...and laughed a LOT. REALLY great stuff. Thanks for the recco!

View PostTiste Simeon, on 09 July 2018 - 02:57 PM, said:

I'm going to try Thrilling Adventure Hour I think.

Pro-tip.... dl all the SPARKS NEVADAs because however you feel about some of the other skits, you are going to want, possibly NEED to listen to these. It’s also the only really serialized skit. Some have ongoing B plots and references but Sparks is basically one long story. And damn funny.
The other skits... I loved some, eventually started skipping a small number. BEYOND BELIEF is great. The cast just nails it episode after episode and it’s got some of the bestest writing and you can tell the guests are loving it. CAPTAIN LASERBEAM is absurdly funny and when Philip Fathom shows up you may just pee yourself laughing. AMELIA EARHART FEARLESS FLYER is like a mini audio action time travel adventure in +/- 10 minutes.

#14 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:49 PM

Would you recommend starting there? Normally with Podcasts I just start at the beginning and see what happens.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:34 AM

I reco just starting at the beginning. You’ll see pretty quickly how it runs. I just found that I enjoyed SPARKS enough to grab the whole thing to listen to in sequence instead of broken up by other skits.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users