• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mayans M.C.

#21 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 November 2018 - 04:04 PM

I've watched through to the s1 finale. I won't say anything about it, so not to spoil, but the finale was just good enough so that I'll probably check back in when season 2 begins. On the whole though, the inaugural season of Mayans MC was a little sizzle and a whole lot of fizzle, imo.

#22 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:27 PM

Ugh...hard to have a whole lot of sympathy for EZ now. When season 2 rolls around, I'll have to see where my queue is. I may skip.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#23 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:47 PM

What about the ol' switcheroo the show pulled regarding Marcus? Do you think Nestor is going try and place him in his cross-hairs?

I'm with you though, I may (very possible) skip s2 too. The show just didn't do it for me. Too much out in the weeds on various threads and not enough heat of the meat.

#24 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 16 November 2018 - 06:44 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 16 November 2018 - 05:47 PM, said:

What about the ol' switcheroo the show pulled regarding Marcus? Do you think Nestor is going try and place him in his cross-hairs?

I'm with you though, I may (very possible) skip s2 too. The show just didn't do it for me. Too much out in the weeds on various threads and not enough heat of the meat.

I don't even know where they are going with Marcus. I mean we hardly saw him do anything this season. I think Nestor is in place to just die horribly at some point. No idea why I think that, I just do.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#25 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:51 PM

All done through the finale.

My main comment remains that there is entirely too much focus on the Galindo cartel storyline to the detriment of the Mayans themselves. I somewhat like the Rebels storyline in as much as it does something mildly more interesting with the Galindos than the same old tired cartel stuff that was B or C-plot in SoA. It felt like Sutter n co really wanted to do the next season of NARCOS but were stuck with another motorcycle club series instead and decide to play cutesies.

Putting Marcus into Devante's role was interesting in as much as it gives him something to do beyond sitting at the table looking serious. Hopefully this will prompt Galindo to do a hell of a lot more with the MC, and, oh, i dunno, actually develop some of the Mayan characters the show is supposed to be about.

For the season, i like EZ and Angel as characters and i like the byplay between them and with their dad. We got plenty of EZ and Angel, a decent amount of Coco's fucked up family, and that's about it... none of the wider MC cast that SoA gave us even in its first season. I know the prez is Bishop, and Riz is the scuzzy guy who was running the whorehouse security, and then there's fat bald guy one, fat bald guy two, long haired gangster looking guy, short haired more hostile looking guy, and thats about it. We needed more, am hoping S2 will give us that.

It was a huge kick to see Happy again, and the 'twist' of tieing him to EZ's story was a nice one. The possibility of a new conflict with a Sons charter has some neat possibilities.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:41 PM

Was it ever established where s1 happens as it relates to the SoA timeline? I sort of remember hearing something about prez Jax in one of the episodes.

#27 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:12 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 20 November 2018 - 08:41 PM, said:

Was it ever established where s1 happens as it relates to the SoA timeline? I sort of remember hearing something about prez Jax in one of the episodes.

It's post the end of SoA.
In episode 1 they rode past a roadside memorial to Jax, and in the finale Alvarez refers to the current peace and his promise to Jax Teller.

#28 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:29 PM

View PostAbyss, on 20 November 2018 - 09:12 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 20 November 2018 - 08:41 PM, said:

It's post the end of SoA.
In episode 1 they rode past a roadside memorial to Jax, and in the finale Alvarez refers to the current peace and his promise to Jax Teller.

That's right. I totally forgot about the roadside memorial to Jax. And when I heard the mention of prez Jax, I assumed it meant it was during Jax's time as leader of his SoA chapter.

Thanks for the refresher dude!

#29 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:13 PM

View PostBfuckinK, on 03 September 2019 - 04:44 PM, said:

This returns tonight. Shit. Add on to the pileup. Still have 5 eps of S1 on here unwatched.

oh crap, i missed 2 eps, better find a rerun... Tnx BK.

#30 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:43 PM

All caught up to latest S2 ep3...

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

ALL MAYANS MC AND SOA EPS TO MAYANS SEASON 2 EP 3

SPOILERS

Do not love the new opening tune cover version, preferred the original, but kudos to them for going that route, nice touch.

Generally pretty good/better this season so far.

Still not enough attention to the MC, but at least i can add VP Taza to the few i know by name (EZ, Angel, Coco, Bishop).

Enjoying the scenes of the Mayans Pres council doing their thing.

Angel was being an idiot to EZ, at least that's sorted out.

I love that it's Happy from the SoA who they're after. Great hook at the end of ep 3 at Hap's house. They could absolutely kill him and turn the story back to the Sons again down the road.

Miguel Galindo is still not that interesting.

Neither are Emily's real estate corruption storyline, most of anything to do with Adelita, Mimi, the LO, Mexican politics, or the cartels generally.

Potter is a great character but he's focused on Miguel and related crap, not the MC. I love his new sidekick whose entire job seems to be to stand around trying not to look weird'd out by Potter.

I mildly enjoy Alvarez' new role as 'guy who walks on screen, says or does something vaguely threatening, leaves'.

I was not at all interested in the 'Miguel's mom is going nuts' storyline until it connected to Daddy Reyes. I suspect they are leading to a revelation that Miguel is actually EZ and Angel's half brother, which would be a great twist and go a long way to making everything to do with Miguel even mildly more interesting to me. Tho it adds an ick-facor to EZ and Emily's apparently (better) forgotten romance subplot too.

Coco is even more stone cold this season without the trash mom/hooker sister storyline. The bit about 'The breeze' was so good.

The Inland Empire MC are totally going to show up again. I hope they become a more valid threat because wow they looked like idiots.

#31 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 March 2021 - 06:16 PM

I finished it. It never quite hits 'great', but held my attention most of the time.
Still way WAY too much screen spent on Miguel's family and the Mexican revolutionary thing instead of the MC, but overall it worked well enough. Will be back for S3.

#32 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 October 2022 - 02:20 PM

Just finished MAYANS, S3.

Wow... this season REALLY went to extremes of like and dislike.

SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

On the MC side, we got solid storylines... the civil war between the branches was interesting and brutal, Alvarez' return to the fold and Bishop deposed was well played, we got a pile of development for Taza and Gilly and Creeper, solid plot for Angel, and i really enjoyed EZ's reluctant but inevitable rise. It fit, and in contrast to Jax who was always destined for the throne and didn't want it, EZ just kept sacrificing the rest of his non-MC life and committing to the club. Gabby... oh shit that was brutal and inevitable the second she showed up.

The war with the Sons... the start, w the bar girl and the kutte in the barrel and Shaved Head guy's grudge was utterly contrived, even badly. I liked the plot that followed and the brief conflicts we saw play out. Also, it was glorious to see Tig.

All in all the series up'd the MC content and quality of storyline A LOT and it saved the show for me. I enjoyed these parts.

On the other hand oh dear god what a pile of crap the other side of the show was. Like they had all these actors on contract and didn't know what to do w them. Not only did we have to suffer through Miguel and Emily's pointless fugitive plots, we got a whole new crime family in the Banqueros, and while Banquero sister was interesting her relationship w her crimelord bro and their mom's decline that ran most of the season was utterly not. Luisa's hunt for her son could have been one ep, didn't need to be six, would have saved us from Nails' predictable relationship subplot w Angel. Hope's addiction battle... look, perfectly decent story done well enough by the cast but it added exactly nothing to the show esp after Coco ignored her for the more interesting MC plots. Edward James Olmos was wasted and spent the season standing around sweeping and looking unhappy, unhappier, or very unhappy.

I like this show, i was way way more impressed w the MC storylines than previous seasons, i just wish they'd keep the focus there.

...also who the fuck has EDWARD JAMES OLMOS in their show and does so little with him, FFS.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users