Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

K and D were absent?

#1 User is offline   Mako2401 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:28 PM

This forum doesn't seem to be very active, and I'm reading the books very quickly so I might even get my answer there faster than here, but one thing that I didn't get is (or got it wrong) how the writer seems to imply that
Spoiler

#2 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:39 PM

I think this is partly due to your reading order, i fear. Lots of extra info on warrens and magic/gods in Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice. NoK was written sometime after these books so ICE assumed knowledge of these things. I don’t really understand why the TOR reread would place NoK as the second book, apart from maybe wanting to mix up the two writers a bit. To be honest, there are also some inconsistencies between the motives of Surly and K/D between GotM and the later books (including NoK). GotM was written over a decade prior to the other books and it wasnt really revised at any point, so there are a few inconsistencies between motivations and plotlines of certain characters and their later actions. Nothing that really affects the overall story, but it is noticable. Most of your questions will be answered to some 3xtent in DG and MoI, so I dont want to spoiler things for you.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#3 User is offline   Mako2401 

• Corporal

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:41 PM

View PostGorefest, on 15 May 2018 - 05:39 PM, said:

I think this is partly due to your reading order, i fear. Lots of extra info on warrens and magic/gods in Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice. NoK was written sometime after these books so ICE assumed knowledge of these things. I don't really understand why the TOR reread would place NoK as the second book, apart from maybe wanting to mix up the two writers a bit. To be honest, there are also some inconsistencies between the motives of Surly and K/D between GotM and the later books (including NoK). GotM was written over a decade prior to the other books and it wasnt really revised at any point, so there are a few inconsistencies between motivations and plotlines of certain characters and their later actions. Nothing that really affects the overall story, but it is noticable. Most of your questions will be answered to some 3xtent in DG and MoI, so I dont want to spoiler things for you.

Ok, thank you. Off to Deadhouse Gates I go then !

#4 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:49 PM

Enjoy, I am jealous. A lot of people consider DG and MoI the best books on a first read. After these two books you will either be hooked forever or you will have decided that the Malazan universe is not for you. Enjoy the ride!

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 15 May 2018 - 05:49 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#5 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:53 PM

Yes, you'll definitely learn more throughout the next number of books about the empire & the warrens. ICE deals with parts of it in RotCG later on as well and we are learning more about those days in the Path to Ascendancy series, which I would definitely recommend you wait and read after the MBotF. It deals with pre-empire days and we may see more of the growing malazan empire in future books.
We're still learning more about the warrens in the kharkanas trilogy as well (assuming it actually ends at some point) but you do learn a lot throughout the main series.

This post has been edited by Gintokian: 15 May 2018 - 06:53 PM

In the language of flowers corn stands for trust.

#6 User is offline   Mako2401 

• Corporal

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:08 PM

View PostGintokian, on 15 May 2018 - 06:53 PM, said:

Yes, you'll definitely learn more throughout the next number of books about the empire & the warrens. ICE deals with parts of it in RotCG later on as well and we are learning more about those days in the Path to Ascendancy series, which I would definitely recommend you wait and read after the MBotF. It deals with pre-empire days and we may see more of the growing malazan empire in future books.
We're still learning more about the warrens in the kharkanas trilogy as well (assuming it actually ends at some point) but you do learn a lot throughout the main series.

Thank you, you've been very helpful, I love the series so far, was reluctant to start reading them, but so far it's really the best fantasy series I've read (even though I don't understand all of it)

#7 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:46 PM

View PostMako2401, on 15 May 2018 - 07:08 PM, said:

View PostGintokian, on 15 May 2018 - 06:53 PM, said:

Thank you, you've been very helpful, I love the series so far, was reluctant to start reading them, but so far it's really the best fantasy series I've read (even though I don't understand all of it)

That's great to hear, keep it up! They're my favourite too, the great thing is you've got another 18 or so left if you read all ICE ones and the kharkanas trilogy so there's plenty more of the malazan world to enjoy.
In the language of flowers corn stands for trust.

#8 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:12 PM

Surlky was regent of the Emperor in his name, she wanted to be Empress in truth, and had to get rid of him to make that happen when he returned to reclaim his title.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users