Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Confused about Gods picking sides.

#1 User is offline   Mako2401 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:45 AM

Let's say there is a God , like the god of Shadow who works against the Empire. Can't the Empire's military/ mages just invade that Warren? I imagine the Warrens like other planets or dimensions, so maybe I'm wrong. It was weird to me how they on one hand seem very powerful and have all these demons and what not, and on other hand don't try to invade the Warren or fight against the God directly. I'm new here, so please be gentle. I might be totally confused, in which case, would love some clarification, without spoilers. I've only read Gardens of The Moon and am about to read Night of Knives with the TOR reread.

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:32 AM

That's mostly a question you'll figure out with more books under your belt. Like, you don't know enough now about warrens to know what you don't know.
That said, I've heard tale of somebody trying to lead an army against the God of our world and, if I remember correctly, it didn't turn out so great for him.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Mako2401 

• Corporal

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:37 AM

Oh, ok, thank you. I really love the books and will probably binge them, and this was the only thing I didn't get in the first book.

#4 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:38 AM

It is rather difficult to answer this without going into spoiler territory. But without delving into the nature of warrens and gods, the first question would really be: are you sure that the Malazan Empire knows that they are fighting (a) God(s)? You specifically name the god of shadow, but throughout the story in GotM he acts mostly covertly through other entities and humans. So why would the Malazan Empire even think about directly attacking this God, even if they would know of their existence in the first place? In their view they are fighting rebels, organised under the banners of Caladan Brood and the Tiste Andii of Anomander Rake. So why would they consider attacking any gods?

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 15 May 2018 - 11:39 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#5 User is offline   Mako2401 

• Corporal

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:12 PM

You are right, I guess I imagined the Gods too much like the Prophets from DS9 or the Goauld from SG1. Will keep on reading, I'm already half way through Night of Knives. Thank you for your response, will definitely come back here to this post after I read the series and probably laugh at how ignorant I was about all this.

#6 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:00 PM

For the other members here who have read the books, is it wise to read Night of Knives before Deadhouse Gates? I feel like there's something you learn later in DG that may get spoiled in NOK.

Mako don't read this.

Spoiler

I know it's not a major spoiler but it does have some significance.
In the language of flowers corn stands for trust.

#7 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:36 PM

Aye, you'll lose the impact from one of DGs revelations.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#8 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:05 PM

Yes, it is not the recommended order. The general consensus seems to be that the best place to read NoK would be after Midnight Tides. Although it doesn't necessarily ruin anything, there are some revelations in NoK that may spoil some of the observations in DG and MoI. Would be interesting to see how Mako perceives this, though, now that he has gone down that route. I suspect the events in NoK might be quite confusing at this point with all the implied knowledge on

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 15 May 2018 - 03:08 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#9 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:46 PM

That's true, and I don't think it says explicitly the spoilerish things but I can't completely remember, could just give strong hints. They're not earth (wu?) shattering revelations anyways so it won't ruin future books for you Mako so I wouldn't worry too much, if you're already half done might as well finish it.
Yes there may be some things that are very confusing if you're not super familiar with the world and the magic type things having just read GOTM.

#10 User is offline   Mako2401 

• Corporal

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:49 PM

Too late, I'm done with Chapter 5 and then it's only Chapter 6 and Epilogue. And this is the order in which TOR reread does it, is there a better order than that one?

This post has been edited by Mako2401: 15 May 2018 - 03:55 PM

#11 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:26 PM

View PostMako2401, on 15 May 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

Too late, I'm done with Chapter 5 and then it's only Chapter 6 and Epilogue. And this is the order in which TOR reread does it, is there a better order than that one?

I think for the most part that reading order is fine, although I'm not sure the exact order it is, but as Gorefest said above NOK is generally read after Midnight Tides. It works after GOTM on the re-read because you already know the spoilers and secrets but on your first read through it may give some things away.
Personally, when I got my mom into reading these books I told her she should read NOK anytime after Deadhouse Gates but I think it works best after MT because you have a fuller understanding of the world and events.

#12 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:56 PM

View PostMako2401, on 15 May 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

As you've already read NoK, the only thing you should worry about now is reading Return of the Crimson Guard between Reaper's Gale and Toll the Hounds. The other Novels of the Malazan Empire books can be read after The Crippled God.

#13 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:04 PM

Here's the wiki's page on different reading orders. Check out the "Ultimate Reading Order" section if you're interested in mixing the Erikson and Esslemont books together. (Although I wouldn't worry too much about the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novellas on a first read through unless you're super hardcore.)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users