Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

This Re-Read Hurts Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Crosalar 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:23 AM

I came late to the MBofF and finished my first pass in 2014. I was so drained by it I couldn't believe everyone encouraging me to go into a re-read. Well, I did and am glad I did it--for all the reasons re-read fans say. Except... tCG was positively gutting, knowing that so many arcs would end and many without neat, tied-in-a-bow conclusions. Now, that's the way SE constructed the series and while I completely understand his view that loose ends are issues on which we can speculate, just knowing they're coming for so many pages rips your heart out. If anyone ever had a doubt about a re-read, just...don't. It is so much richer--because you're not just trying to find out 'what happens' and you can appreciate the author's artistry, the intersecting arcs and mysteries, and the characters' trials and tribulations so much better. As a writer myself, I am in awe of SE. I think he is one of the most complete writers working today.

#2 User is offline   Zetubal 

• Captain
  • Interests:Language

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:04 AM

Would you say that tCG held the greatest re-read value out of all the novels in the series?

#3 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:30 AM

Can you give some examples of loose ends as well? Because I actually cannot remember that many. Most 'current time line' loose ends that I can think of from MBotF (Silverfox, Moon's Spawn, Stormriders, Forkrul Assail, Seguleh) were taken up and tied by Esslemont. And I imagine that the planned Karsa sequel series by Erikson will deal with any future fallout from the events in MBotF and Assail.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#4 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:34 PM

View PostZetubal, on 10 May 2018 - 10:04 AM, said:

Would you say that tCG held the greatest re-read value out of all the novels in the series?

For me, it was Toll the Hounds. Followed closely by CG.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#5 User is offline   Adhara 

• Lady of Black Magic
  • Returning to my origins

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:08 PM

My loose end:Who is Kruppe?
When the arrow is on the bow, it has to go

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:28 PM

View PostMorgan Lefay, on 10 May 2018 - 01:08 PM, said:

I've never thought of that as a loose end.
Kruppe is an extremely intelligent person, a decent mage, and he does work for K'rul as well as has his own agenda.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   Crosalar 

• Recruit

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:46 PM

View PostGorefest, on 10 May 2018 - 10:30 AM, said:

Can you give some examples of loose ends as well? Because I actually cannot remember that many. Most 'current time line' loose ends that I can think of from MBotF (Silverfox, Moon's Spawn, Stormriders, Forkrul Assail, Seguleh) were taken up and tied by Esslemont. And I imagine that the planned Karsa sequel series by Erikson will deal with any future fallout from the events in MBotF and Assail.

In no particular order:

Ganoes
9th squad
Ruthan Gudd/Skanarow
Lostara Yil/Henar Vygath
Byrs/Aranict (plus Tehol & Lether)
What about the Eleint loose on Wu that didn't get killed by Korabas?
More, I'm sure...

My point was, Erikson couldn't possibly tie up all those loose ends and I get it. He did finish off the Korlat/Whiskeyjack arc because, I think, of a final, sentimental farewell to the Bridgeburners, and he closed off the Crokus/Apsalar arc because their entire arc was the catalyst for Cotillion to regan a portion of his humanity.Tavore just walks away, alone and as unreadable as always.

Of course the final scene with Fid speaks for itself.

It's never a BAD thing to leave loose ends; where authors struggle, I believe, is choosing the RiGHT loose ends to leave and which to tie up. I thought Erikson picked the right ones.

#8 User is offline   Crosalar 

• Recruit

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:49 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 10 May 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

I'd say CG now, because it's my most recent read, but if I looked at it objectively, it's a coin flip with TTH.

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:53 PM

View PostAbyss, on 10 May 2018 - 01:28 PM, said:

Kruppe is an extremely intelligent person, a decent mage, and he does work for K'rul as well as has his own agenda.

I would have just gone with Danny DeVito?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10 User is offline   Crosalar 

• Recruit

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:32 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 May 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 10 May 2018 - 01:28 PM, said:

I would have just gone with Danny DeVito?

Or an older Jonah Hill.

#11 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:02 PM

View PostCrosalar, on 10 May 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

In no particular order:

Ganoes
9th squad
Ruthan Gudd/Skanarow
Lostara Yil/Henar Vygath
More, I'm sure...

My point was, Erikson couldn't possibly tie up all those loose ends and I get it. He did finish off the Korlat/Whiskeyjack arc because, I think, of a final, sentimental farewell to the Bridgeburners, and he closed off the Crokus/Apsalar arc because their entire arc was the catalyst for Cotillion to regan a portion of his humanity.Tavore just walks away, alone and as unreadable as always.

It's never a BAD thing to leave loose ends; where authors struggle, I believe, is choosing the RiGHT loose ends to leave and which to tie up. I thought Erikson picked the right ones.

You can't finish all loose ends unless you end the world.

All those characters served their function in the story.

And some may be seen again in future series.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#12 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:12 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 10 May 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

I so hated Toll the Hounds during my first read, so disliked the narrator.

Started loving it during my first reread just before Dust of Dreams was released.
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#13 User is offline   Crosalar 

• Recruit

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:37 PM

View PostNevyn, on 10 May 2018 - 06:02 PM, said:

View PostCrosalar, on 10 May 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

In no particular order:

Ganoes
9th squad
Ruthan Gudd/Skanarow
Lostara Yil/Henar Vygath
More, I'm sure...

All those characters served their function in the story.

That's a pretty simplistic view. If that were the case, why did SE even have a coda? All the characters served their function in the main body.

Someone merely asked what loose ends weren't tied up and I responded. I personally would have liked to know what became of the Master of the Deck in the new world order, but it wasn't as important as underscoring Cot's humanity. Similarly, I'd have liked to have read a final scene with Brys, Aranict, Tehol, Janeth and Bugg, but it wasn't as important as saying farewell to the Bridgeburners. The one part of the coda I could have done without was with Udinass and the Imass; Onos Toolan is reunited with his kids and Hetan in the main story and I thought it was shoehorned into the coda. Just one more opportunity for Udinass to grump, I guess...

#14 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:29 PM

Welcome to Needless Argument Town, baby.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#15 User is offline   Crosalar 

• Recruit

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:45 PM

View PostLuv2B_Sassy, on 10 May 2018 - 07:29 PM, said:

Yep. Yer right. Seems there's a lot of similar burgs on the net.

#16 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:01 PM

I am not sure if Needless is the right classification. I prefer Unwarranted. And I will fight my corner with senseless zeal.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#17 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:08 PM

Oh you're in for it now!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#18 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:20 PM

View PostGorefest, on 10 May 2018 - 09:01 PM, said:

I am not sure if Needless is the right classification. I prefer Unwarranted. And I will fight my corner with senseless zeal.

You have my sword.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#19 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:04 PM

Ah, yes. Oh. So it is. Awkward. Honestly, I just found it over in that corner with the...er....so, yes, ha, not a problem. It was a bit heavy anyway. Like when I try a backswing it sort of twinges my tricep up here, see, and... No mind, no mind, I still have this....let’s see....bus ticket, spare change, roll of mints...I don’t like mints, actually, but it is just so I can do that Deadpool thing where someone goes ‘is that a roll of mints in your pants?’ and then I go ‘Yes that is a roll of mints in my pants. But that doesn’t mean I’m not happy to see you’ although of course in the film that was with a gun instead of mints but you aren’t allowed to carry guns in your pants in the UK so I figured it also works with mints. Not as effective in fighting corners as guns, but a lot better for when you manage to pull. A lady, that is, not the gun. Or the mints. Pulling mints isn’t even a thing. I think I suddenly remembered that I left the oven on.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users