• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just how deadly is Brys Beddict? post your opinions pls

#1 User is offline   NefaraisBredd 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:42 AM

Stumbled upon an old Reddit asking how well Brys stacked up against other master swordsmen/women. No answers were forthcoming.

After re-reading some scenes, I think Brys is likely as good as the Seguleh 1st. What are your thoughts? Where does he rank amongst the best with a blade?

This post has been edited by NefaraisBredd: 26 April 2018 - 12:44 AM

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:59 AM

4th.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   NefaraisBredd 

• Fist

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:53 AM

Luv2B_Sassy, on 26 April 2018 - 12:59 AM, said:

4th.

4th what? In Wu or amongst the Seguleh?

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:40 AM

Okay, okay. 3rd.

#5 User is offline   Zetubal 

• Captain
  • Interests:Language

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:59 AM

Easily the best Letherii swordsman. And...that's about it.

I think in an open confrontation Brys is at a disadvantage against most other "tier 1" swordsmen because these tend to have some command of magic, are buffed Ascendants, and/or own some magically imbued gear. For a "normal dude" (pre-resurrection and discounting his naming shenanigans at the end of TCG) he's pretty awesome though, I think.

#6 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:55 AM

It's hard to tell. He was never really pushed, never went up against any top tier fighters.

#7 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:44 PM

I've always thought of him as the best vanilla human. Could be totally wrong but that's just my opinion.

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:08 PM

Rhulad was reasonably skilled and seriously amped on magic and Brys entirely destroyed him. Yes he lost a couple of fingers, but note he wasn't going for a kill, he was specifically trying to disable Rhulad.
Karsa, with all his investments and skill, had to take a full on blade thru the leg to score a full kill.

So.... if we speculate Rake and Dassem are top 1 and 2 respectively based on TtH, with Das an equivalent to the Seguleh First based on OST, and Karsa just barely below them based on his own assessment in TtH, then Brys, being roughly on par with Karsa based on the fight with Rhulad, is somewhere around #3-5 of sword fighters we've seen in the series. Alternatively, Wolverine.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:44 PM

I don't agree with that assessment, to be honest. Rhulad gets stronger every time he returns. By the time Karsa faced him, Rhulad had had a great number of resurrections, whereas Brys encountered him fairly early on. So Karsa Rhulad was way more powerful than Brys Rhulad and so the comparison doesn't really hold.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:55 PM

Gorefest, on 26 April 2018 - 03:44 PM, said:

I don't agree with that assessment, to be honest. Rhulad gets stronger every time he returns. By the time Karsa faced him, Rhulad had had a great number of resurrections, whereas Brys encountered him fairly early on. So Karsa Rhulad was way more powerful than Brys Rhulad and so the comparison doesn't really hold.

Valid point tho i cant recall now if Rhulad got stronger or more skilled or both.
In that case Brys might fit better below Karsa, which would still leave him in the top 10 or so, and Wolverine wins.

#11 User is offline   Zetubal 

• Captain

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:41 PM

Abyss, on 26 April 2018 - 02:08 PM, said:

So.... if we speculate Rake and Dassem are top 1 and 2 respectively based on TtH, with Das an equivalent to the Seguleh First based on OST, and Karsa just barely below them based on his own assessment in TtH, then Brys, being roughly on par with Karsa based on the fight with Rhulad, is somewhere around #3-5 of sword fighters we've seen in the series. Alternatively, Wolverine.

I'd say there are still a couple of swordfighters who are more "deadly" than Brys. Not necessarily more "mechanically skilled" (could be, though), but all around more versatile. Draconus fought Rake for days and got dem supreme magicks, so I'd place him higher than Brys. Silchas Ruin is a magic dragon cut from the Awesomander cloth. Spinnock and Kallor are crazy strong. And there are other possible candidates like Tool (especially in T'lan Imass form), Skinner, and Greymane.

This post has been edited by Zetubal: 26 April 2018 - 08:42 PM

#12 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:00 AM

Zetubal, on 26 April 2018 - 08:41 PM, said:

I'd say there are still a couple of swordfighters who are more "deadly" than Brys. Not necessarily more "mechanically skilled" (could be, though), but all around more versatile. Draconus fought Rake for days and got dem supreme magicks, so I'd place him higher than Brys. Silchas Ruin is a magic dragon cut from the Awesomander cloth. Spinnock and Kallor are crazy strong. And there are other possible candidates like Tool (especially in T'lan Imass form), Skinner, and Greymane.

and Iron Bars

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:57 PM

ok fine top 20.

...Wolverine still wins tho'.

#14 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:47 PM

Brys's nickname in college was Deadly Do-Right.

#15 User is offline   Zetubal 

• Captain

Posted 29 April 2018 - 11:34 AM

Abyss, on 27 April 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

...Wolverine still wins tho'.

Deadpool disagrees.

This post has been edited by Zetubal: 29 April 2018 - 11:34 AM

#16 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 April 2018 - 04:17 PM

Rhulad was reasonably skilled and seriously amped on magic and Brys entirely destroyed him. Yes he lost a couple of fingers, but note he wasn't going for a kill, he was specifically trying to disable Rhulad.
Karsa, with all his investments and skill, had to take a full on blade thru the leg to score a full kill.

You needed this many words to say what worry already pointed out half a day earlier?

:D
Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 April 2018 - 05:51 PM

James Hutton, on 29 April 2018 - 04:17 PM, said:

You needed this many words to say what worry already pointed out half a day earlier?

:D

Dick.

...there you go, brevity and timeliness.

#18 User is offline   Not Noto 

• Corporal

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:40 PM

I would rank Brys 30-50.
I doubt he would even kill Iron Bars and he almost lost against a little Seguleh girl ranked at least 21+ in the Seguleh ladder. Iron Bars is what, the 3rd or 4th best fighter in the CG?

It's even possible he could end up in the +50 league.

#19 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:32 PM

If you can give me the names of 50 swordsman/swordswomen who are legitimately better than Brys without a magic weapon or armor or being an ascendant or t'lan I'll rep every post you make for a month.

The Crimson Guard doesn't count and if you don't know why you shouldn't be in this thread. See first line.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#20 User is offline   Not Noto 

• Corporal

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:15 PM

Why wouldn't CGs and magic stuff count? I think Brys could manage many avowed but not the top 3.
NefaraisBredd compares Brys to Dassem in TS ffs.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users