Malazan Empire: Linguistica Malazica - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Linguistica Malazica What do you speak! what are you learning!

#1 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:57 PM

My latest thing is learning languages.

I use an app at the moment and converse with fluent speakers regularly.

I am learning Hiragana and Katakana in Japanese.

Also, I can struggle my way out of a conversation in Norwegian and French, building on all three slowly in an alternating study pattern.

French seems to come easy at the beginning but Norwegian is a lot easier as you build on Vocab.

What do you speak and what are you learning? Also, try to say the following in your language:

"Hi, my name is .... and I read all 10 books of that whole series."

Phrase list
----------------------------------------------------------

{Chewa}"Mulibwanji? dzina yanga ndiDolmen, ndinawelenga ma buku awa onse, kukwanitsa ten.

UKR: Привіт, мене звати Менталіст. і я прочитав всі десять книжок цього циклу.

RU: Привет, меня зовут Менталист, и я прочел все 10 романов этой серии.

FR: Salut, je m`apelle Mentalist et j`ai lu tout 10 romans de cettes séries.

Ger: Hallo, mein Name ist Zetubal und ich habe alle 10 Bücher dieser Reihe gelesen.

Czech: Ahoj, jmenuji se Itwaes a četl jsem všech deset knih celé té série.

Dutch: Hallo, mijn naam is Gorefest en ik heb alle boeken (Erikson plus Esslemont, kernplot plus voorgeschiedenis - Kharkanas/Empire en novella's) van deze serie gelezen. Show off

Jpn: Hajimemashte 2.0 Dolmen San. Watashi no namae wa cause desu. Watashi wa ju hon no Malazan empire yomimasu.

Jpn(alt): Watashi wa malazan empire no shousetsu o jyusatsu yonda/yomimashita

Zulu: Sawubona abanti bami, mina nguDolmen, isibongo sami ngu 2.0. Amabuku lona ngiyawaFunda. NgiyawaFunda wonke awu 10.

Est: Tere, minu nimi on Gryllen ja ma olen selle sarja kõik kümme raamatut läbi lugenud.

This post has been edited by Dolmen 2.0: 16 April 2018 - 05:23 PM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#2 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:04 PM

Slowly (very slowly) teaching myself German.

I tried a little bit Japanese out of curiosity but I don't think I have the patience required to learn karakatana or whatever the script is called as well as learning it in romanji or however it is spelled.

If I could figure a way to make the handwriting recognition work better and with the Japanese script I might have another bash at learning a little bit of it.

If I was to learn another language that used something other than Latin as it written base it would probably be Russian cause Cyrillic looks like one of the easier ones to learn to me, and it follows an alphabet structure I am used to and can understand.

Regarding how I'm teaching myself, I use memrise.com, and use their app as well.

#3 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:07 PM

Memrise

I like it because it breaks stuff down into very small short lessons and the app is good for when I have small bits of downtime.

My biggest problem is not being disciplined enough to do it every day.

I had sort of tried to find people I knew on it so I would be spurred on to gaining more points than them but alas that hasn't really happened.

But if anyone is on it I'll dig out my username tomorrow when I'm on the laptop

#4 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:16 PM

been trying to learn japanese as well. But pretty busy with teaching right now, feels like its on the back burner

#5 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:55 PM

French is an on again/off again project, depends on my mood/resolve at the time.

I speak 3 languages fluently (Ukrainian, Russian, English). I'd be classified as "low Intermediate" in French (I have most of the grammar, but my vocab is very small, and I'm out of practice. When I found myself living in a purely francophone environment for a while when I was doing immersion I'd generally have enough conversational French to get by in most everyday situations).

I can generally make myself understood to any Slavic speaker (most people I hang around are Polish, so I've got about 60% comprehension as long as they don't speak to fast;, as well as Croatian). I tend to do even better with written stuff, and I had a chance to confirm that during my last euro trip when I was in Bratislava and Prague.

Due to my limited French, I can also generally make myself understood in Spanish when dealing with people who only speak Spanish, but that's a stretch.

My preferred method of learning vocab is listening to music in whatever language it is I'm "studying". With French I also have several novels I occasionally try to get through with a dictionary.

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#6 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:26 AM

View PostMacros, on 15 April 2018 - 10:07 PM, said:

Memrise

I like it because it breaks stuff down into very small short lessons and the app is good for when I have small bits of downtime.

My biggest problem is not being disciplined enough to do it every day.

I had sort of tried to find people I knew on it so I would be spurred on to gaining more points than them but alas that hasn't really happened.

But if anyone is on it I'll dig out my username tomorrow when I'm on the laptop

I tried Memrise, as well as Busuu.

Oddly both don't feel like a challenge to me the way Duolingo tends to be. I feel driven to log on daily and try beat my last exp score. It's tons of fun and not that difficult if you practice regularly on what you already learned.

I get tons of learning done in a week but its, nothing like an actual class. Maybe if I tried to knock-out 45 minutes a session...

Duolingo is especially good with the katakana and hiragana training exercises. They also have mythical languages like Klingon or valerian, although I'd rather learn Dothraki. So yeah maybe give it a shot?

Also maybe we can form some sort of language group?

This post has been edited by Dolmen 2.0: 16 April 2018 - 12:26 AM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#7 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:36 AM

View PostMentalist, on 15 April 2018 - 11:55 PM, said:

French is an on again/off again project, depends on my mood/resolve at the time.

I speak 3 languages fluently (Ukrainian, Russian, English). I'd be classified as "low Intermediate" in French (I have most of the grammar, but my vocab is very small, and I'm out of practice. When I found myself living in a purely francophone environment for a while when I was doing immersion I'd generally have enough conversational French to get by in most everyday situations).

I can generally make myself understood to any Slavic speaker (most people I hang around are Polish, so I've got about 60% comprehension as long as they don't speak to fast;, as well as Croatian). I tend to do even better with written stuff, and I had a chance to confirm that during my last euro trip when I was in Bratislava and Prague.

Due to my limited French, I can also generally make myself understood in Spanish when dealing with people who only speak Spanish, but that's a stretch.

My preferred method of learning vocab is listening to music in whatever language it is I'm "studying". With French I also have several novels I occasionally try to get through with a dictionary.

I really envy your capacity to dialogue in french. I am currently in a francophone environment and am talking regularly to people that have very limited English if any.

But I like it, the approach you have to read a book written in French is an interesting one. I think I might pick up a few French magazines tomorrow try work my way through.

I have listened to Slavic languages, I wonder if there's any communicability with Finnish? Just curious as It sounds nothing like Swedish, Danish or Norsk although some things translate on paper. I am not sure where Finnish roots are based, perhaps influence comes from further east...

#8 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:39 AM

View Postnicetrout, on 15 April 2018 - 10:16 PM, said:

been trying to learn japanese as well. But pretty busy with teaching right now, feels like its on the back burner

Ah yeah, teaching can be demanding, curious how much you managed to pick up? Basic, beginner or intermediate?

with Japanese, I'm about able to get through a talk at a newspaper stand but only if they ask simple questions.

#9 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:17 AM

I don't know any languages =/.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#10 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:20 AM

Tried Duolingo Dolmen, I seem to be the revere, I found memrise far more useful to me for some reason.

I think memrises system of adjustable daily targets was better implemented for me than duolingos? That said when my sister was using memrise as well I wanted more driven to do it everyday to make sure I had a better score than her, hence my desire to find other people I know on it

#11 User is offline   Zetubal 

• Captain
  • Interests:Language

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:59 AM

I'm a linguist, so I guess it goes without saying that I enjoy languages quite a lot.

I'm a native speaker of German, and I am currently working on my PhD in English. Thanks to growing up with a francophile mum and taking close to 10 years of French classes in school I'm fairly fluent in that as well.

During my time as a student at university I also took Japanese classes "for fun" although my successes are comparatively meager, considering that it took me 3 years to get to the equivalent of B1 competence.

Aside from that I speak a little bit of Spanish and Italian. But not enough to engage in any meaningful conversation. Ah, and during my last research stay I picked up a little Xhosa.

View PostDolmen 2.0, on 16 April 2018 - 12:36 AM, said:

I have listened to Slavic languages, I wonder if there's any communicability with Finnish? Just curious as It sounds nothing like Swedish, Danish or Norsk although some things translate on paper. I am not sure where Finnish roots are based, perhaps influence comes from further east...

There really shouldn't be because Finnish is an altogether different language from its own little family (Finno-Ugric languages). Kind of sandwiched between its slavic and germanic neighbors. Also, Finnish happens to be an agglutinative language which means that it expresses cases, mood, mode, tense, voice, conjugation, comparability, and pretty much everything else through prefixes, suffixes, and infixes. Hence the insanely long words you find in Finnish. This makes it very different from neighboring languages like Russian or Swedish.

There are several thousand people living close to the Finnish border in Russia whose native language is Karelian, though. And that's closely related to Finnish (sort of). Then again, Karelian isn't Russian or even similar to Russian...

Ah, and:
Hallo, mein Name ist Zetubal und ich habe alle 10 Bücher dieser Reihe gelesen.

This post has been edited by Zetubal: 16 April 2018 - 08:04 AM

#12 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:54 AM

I tried learning Japanese but I put it on hold when my PhD got a bit crazy. Hopefully ill start up again on Duolingo which added it a while back. Meantime I seem to have forgetten about 80% of what I leart. My best attempt right now.

Hajimemashte 2.0 Dolmen San

Watashi no namae wa cause desu

Watashi wa ju hon no Malazan empire yomimasu

I would like to learn japansese, spanish and mandarin but the last is impossible for me. I really cant pick up the changes in pitch which change the meaning of words.

This post has been edited by Cause: 16 April 2018 - 09:57 AM

#13 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:34 AM

I'll just take this opportunity to complain about the difficulty of english classes around here. I get that I have kind of a knack for english (not sayin for languages because fuck you german) but this is simply ridiculous. I have learnt almost nothing in school about english since I learnt the very basics. Plus I have to correct my teacher all the time, and I'm not even listening to him at all most of the time. And after all the years of me being right 95% of the time he's still sceptical every damn time I do this. Half the time he then proceeds to tell the rest of the class not to listen to me because we're just not on the level to take what I said into consideration. My dog would probably pass my english final exams.

Knowing German would definitley be handy for me in the future since I live in such close proximity to Germany and my close family has basically moved there altogether, so will have to consider starting to learn at least the basics but now's not the time.

Czech: Ahoj, jmenuji se Itwaes a četl jsem všech deset knih celé té série.
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#14 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:16 AM

As a native Dutchman I am fluent in Dutch. Having lived in the UK for over 12 years with an English wife I like to think that I am fluent in English as well. My German is passable, i.e. I can understand most of what is going on when watching German TV or reading a German newspaper, but my vocabulary is very rusty so conversational German is a bit of a struggle. I know a little bit of French, enough to get me around the country on holidays and order stuff and such. Tried to brush it up on my French a bit using Duolingo recently but I currently don't really have the time nor the drive to keep up with it.

Dutch: Hallo, mijn naam is Gorefest en ik heb alle boeken (Erikson plus Esslemont, kernplot plus voorgeschiedenis - Kharkanas/Empire en novella's) van deze serie gelezen.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#15 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:20 AM

my memrise username is:
matt_robinson1028

#16 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

View PostCause, on 16 April 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

I tried learning Japanese but I put it on hold when my PhD got a bit crazy. Hopefully ill start up again on Duolingo which added it a while back. Meantime I seem to have forgetten about 80% of what I leart. My best attempt right now.

Hajimemashte 2.0 Dolmen San

Watashi no namae wa cause desu

Watashi wa ju hon no Malazan empire yomimasu

I would like to learn japansese, spanish and mandarin but the last is impossible for me. I really cant pick up the changes in pitch which change the meaning of words.

Nice! Watashi is I correct? so "Watashi wa ju hon no Malazan Empire Yomimasu" would be like saying I have read ten Malazan empires? Yomi being read and masu implying it was being done?

I personally have never had any luck learning Mandarin. I honestly don't know why. I had a really good friend who tried to teach me a few phrases but they never stuck in my head.

#17 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:56 AM

The list is looking Good!

I'm gonna put Cause's Japanese in as a placeholder. If a Native speaker has an issue with it we can adjust!

Cause, you wanna hazard it in Xhosa or Zulu? :D

View PostMacros, on 16 April 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

my memrise username is:
matt_robinson1028

I have no clue how to add people. I'll see if maybe the phone app makes it easier but I can't see anything on the web browser except people they suggest I follow?

My Memrise username is same as here: Dolmen 2.0

#18 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:15 PM

No idea how accurate it is. My understanding on what I said is below

Hajimemashte is 'pleased to meat you'. I put the 2.0 in front of your name because in japan the surname is more important than the name. You would introduce your family name first.

Than I tried saying, my name is cause. Watashi is I, wa comes after the subject. Namae is name I believe and no indicated it belongs to watashi. desu is 'it is' and comes at the end in some form or another in every Japanese sentence.

Then I tried saying I have read ten books of the malazan empire. Hon is books (the no denotes the books belong to the malazan empire - I maybe should have swapped the order) and ju is ten. However I have never mastered counting in japanse. Ju is just a regular ten. The japanse change the counting words slightly for flat things vs round things vs small animals, large animals, flying animals people etc. No idea why that is necessary. I think it should have been yomimashte since I did it past tense. Yomimasu is present tense. Shinrei could speak Japanese fluently but not seen him in ages.

Never learnt a word of Zulu or Xhosa and sadly don't really have any desire to do so. In 30 years living in SA never had need to speak either actually.

#19 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:11 PM

View PostCause, on 16 April 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

Hajimemashte is 'pleased to meat you'.

Sushi is people!
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#20 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:31 PM

View PostGorefest, on 16 April 2018 - 01:11 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 16 April 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

Hajimemashte is 'pleased to meat you'.

Sushi is people!

Well if ur gonna eat people atleast cook them first. Hannibal 101. Ok depends on if ur talking Hopkins or Mikkelsen but I for one would prefer being cooked before consumption.

@Cause it's definately not necessary to learn to get by in SA. Its taken me a long time just to pick up a few phrases although I can listen and understand it fairly well. I may need to up my game a lil since my kids half Xhosa but meh I'd rather teach her Chewa and mke it our code language.

Here's what I can manage:

Zulu: Sawubona abanti bami, mina nguDolmen, isibongo sami ngu 2.0. Amabuku lona ngiyawaFunda. NgiyawaFunda wonke awu 10.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users