Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spell check for DoD character, please

#1 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:06 PM

There seem to be variations - either Sathand Gril or Sathand Grit. The former is how it is spelled in my UK hardback, the latter how it appears in amazon previews. Additionally, the name appears in the amazon DP but not in my hardback DP where it is missing along with a list of other Barghast.
Can you check your copies of DoD and let me know whether the character's name is spelled Gril or Grit, please. He appears in chapter 15 of the book and is the one chasing Tool and Hetan's children. Also whether he appears in the DP of the book and how it is spelled there.

It is important that you state which copy you are taking the info from (i.e. UK/US etc. as well as hardback/paperback/kindle etc.)

Hopefully between replies here and on reddit, I have enough material to determine the primary spelling for the Wiki

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:19 PM

Not in the Bantam hardback DP or last name mentioned in book.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:03 PM

It's Sathand Gril in my UK Bantam hardback (which is from when DoD was first released, subsequent printings occasionally do change stuff, though). Not mentioned in the DP at all. Same goes for the ebook.

This post has been edited by Puck: 12 April 2018 - 10:05 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#4 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:36 PM

View PostPuck, on 12 April 2018 - 10:03 PM, said:

It's Sathand Gril in my UK Bantam hardback (which is from when DoD was first released, subsequent printings occasionally do change stuff, though). Not mentioned in the DP at all. Same goes for the ebook.

Hmm. Which page Puck? Mine is the same as yours and couldn't find last name.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:28 AM

Mine is also Bantam UK hardback - ISBN 978-0-593-04633-3 but no mention of him in DP

#6 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:43 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 12 April 2018 - 11:36 PM, said:

View PostPuck, on 12 April 2018 - 10:03 PM, said:

Hmm. Which page Puck? Mine is the same as yours and couldn't find last name.

Page 506 seems to be the first time he is mentioned at all, roughly halfway through Chapter 15:

Heart thudding with anticipation, Sathand Gril slipped out from the light of the wind-whipped fires. [...]

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#7 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:41 PM

Ah. I see it now. Just eye skipped it, I guess.

#8 User is offline   Zerv 

• Corporal

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:12 PM

I have the UK Bantam MMPB. He is listed as "Sathand Grit" in the DP, but he appears to be referred to as "Sathand Gril" in the chapter 15 passage quoted above in my edition as well.

This post has been edited by Zerv: 15 April 2018 - 05:06 PM

#9 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:36 PM

In mine he's called Barand Grill.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#10 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:17 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies - I have linked this thread and the one on reddit to the Wiki page.

Seems like Grit appears only in some DPs but not in the main text.

As for Worry's edition - I'd hold on to that, Worry - obviously a really rare one-off. Probably worth a fortune!!! :D

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users