• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NHL 2020-2021 Season HE SHOOTS HE SCOOOOOORES

#41 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:01 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 26 April 2018 - 03:50 PM, said:

Well, if you like basketball (which I doubt anyone on Malazanempire do) then you can still root for the Toronto Raptors. They are up 3 games to 2 on the Washington Wizards.

I'm just like DeRozan, if I shoot it, it goes in

Yeah I saw that they won last night. I don't mind basketball but I have a hard time getting into it, there's just so many baskets scored they don't mean much, where in hockey/baseball each goal/run are important. Plus a lot of the time it's only the last few minutes that matter in basketball.
I do have the Jays still too but I don't have a lot of hope after last season, although they're doing pretty well right now.
In the language of flowers corn stands for trust.

#42 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:38 PM

View PostBriar King, on 27 April 2018 - 01:28 AM, said:

How long is this process? How many rounds/games before the Cup game?

There are 3 best of 7 rounds to determine which two teams play in the finals. The finals are also a best of 7 set.

View PostBriar King, on 27 April 2018 - 04:21 AM, said:

Damn man 6-0 in 3rd. Thought it would be this during last seconds of 2nd but they didn't count the score.

With my EXTREMELY limited hockey exp this seems like a high score game.

Ummmm 7-0

I saw that, and yes it is a very high scoring game, especially when you're able to shut the other team out it's pretty amazing frankly. San Jose's a really good team too so to win game one 7-0 is a big deal.

#43 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:13 PM

Awwww Shucky Ducky! Vegas racks up another record. And my sentimental favs - Penguins - won too.

Come on GKs!

Do you guys think that the Vegas odds makers favor the Golden Knights more then they probably should? You know, giving them extra favorability cause they are the home town team?

#44 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:22 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 27 April 2018 - 01:13 PM, said:

Awwww Shucky Ducky! Vegas racks up another record. And my sentimental favs - Penguins - won too.

Come on GKs!

Do you guys think that the Vegas odds makers favor the Golden Knights more then they probably should? You know, giving them extra favorability cause they are the home town team?

Ha it is possible, i'm not sure what kind of rules and regulations they have to follow, but I'd imagine they could get into trouble for misrepresenting the odds, also called fraud.
Besides wouldn't increasing the odds that Vegas wins reduce the amount of money you make for betting on Vegas? (I have no idea how this type of gambling works)

#45 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:32 PM

View PostGintokian, on 27 April 2018 - 01:22 PM, said:

Come on GKs!

Ha it is possible, i'm not sure what kind of rules and regulations they have to follow, but I'd imagine they could get into trouble for misrepresenting the odds, also called fraud.
Besides wouldn't increasing the odds that Vegas wins reduce the amount of money you make for betting on Vegas? (I have no idea how this type of gambling works)

Not sure how it works myself, tbh. I think the betting can swing either way and Vegas is just there to present you the odds. But I do think that it taking Vegas this long to get a professional sports team has been due to the nature of the city - gambling. I think the governing bodies that over see each professional sport may have been sour to Vegas having a team. That seems to have changed now due to technology and the growth/popularity of fantasy sports gambling. Las Vegas has the Golden Knights (NHL Hockey) and I think this year is when the Oakland Raiders (NFL Football) will move to Vegas .... which will be weird.

#46 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:59 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 27 April 2018 - 01:32 PM, said:

View PostGintokian, on 27 April 2018 - 01:22 PM, said:

Come on GKs!

Not sure how it works myself, tbh. I think the betting can swing either way and Vegas is just there to present you the odds. But I do think that it taking Vegas this long to get a professional sports team has been due to the nature of the city - gambling. I think the governing bodies that over see each professional sport may have been sour to Vegas having a team. That seems to have changed now due to technology and the growth/popularity of fantasy sports gambling. Las Vegas has the Golden Knights (NHL Hockey) and I think this year is when the Oakland Raiders (NFL Football) will move to Vegas .... which will be weird.

From what I've seen in television shows, it seems that when the odds your team/horse/dog will win are very low, you stand to win more money since it's less likely they will win. Again, I have no idea if this is true but as we all know it's always good to believe everything you see on tv.

#47 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 April 2018 - 02:06 PM

Yeah, that's how it works. When Mike Tyson fought Buster Douglas for example, the odds were overwhelmingly in favor of Tyson winning. Douglas won however, so if you placed your money on him, your winnings were much greater. That's the example I always hear cited when talking about betting. In other words, the experienced betters will always say "if only I had betted on Douglas"

In other news - and back to hockey discussion.

Com on Golden Knights!

#48 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 27 April 2018 - 02:34 PM

I don't mind if Vegas beats San Jose, but seeing as Winnipeg is the only Canadian team left I feel like I have to cheer for them going forwards.
As long as Boston loses I really don't care too much who else from the East makes it.

This post has been edited by Gintokian: 27 April 2018 - 02:34 PM

#49 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

I had to take a week off of hockey to mourn the loss of the maple leaf season, wore a dark veil and everything.
Just checking the standings now and it seems like the second round is a lot more balanced, every team has won at least one game.

#50 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:31 PM

Things are heating up between Penguins and Capitals. That shoulder shiver was brutal.

And boy is Las Vegas a fun watch. They are frenetic but also have some of that old school feel to them. Just overall enjoying watching them on the ice. Hopefully they go up 3 to 1 against San Jose.

#51 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:52 PM

View PostBriar King, on 02 May 2018 - 09:49 PM, said:

I see GK v Sharks game 4 is tonight. I missed game 3 somehow. Who won game 3?

Looks like Vegas won in overtime, the series is now 2-1 for Vegas.

#52 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:06 PM

View PostBriar King, on 02 May 2018 - 10:03 PM, said:

View PostGintokian, on 02 May 2018 - 09:52 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 02 May 2018 - 09:49 PM, said:

I see GK v Sharks game 4 is tonight. I missed game 3 somehow. Who won game 3?

Looks like Vegas won in overtime, the series is now 2-1 for Vegas.

Dang that would make 2 games in a row going to OT. Is OT actually common in this sport? Like there’s way more games played in hockey playoffs vs NFL Bowl playoffs so it’s bound to happen more I suppose.

Yes overtime is pretty common. Since less goals are scored than in other sports it's a lot easier to end the game still being tied.
In the regular season they do 1 period of 3 on 3 5 minute overtime and then a shootout but in the playoffs I think they just keep playing 5 on 5 20 minute periods until someone wins.

#53 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:05 PM

Gosh looks like Vegas got beat last night 4-0 in San Jose, hopefully they can do better in Vegas tomorrow.

Are people into hockey in Louisiana? There's been a few franchises in the US that have died due to lack of people going to games (Atlanta, Phoenix-Arizona, Florida's always been close to the edge).
Another team in Ontario or Quebec would be nice too, Jim Balsillie almost got one in Hamilton, Ontario but the NHL commissioner killed it because he didn't like Jim, which was super disappointing for us as leafs tickets are impossible to get.

#54 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:39 PM

The Hamilton thing is veging on comedy by now... everyone wants it, all evidence suggests it would be a huge success, yet somehow...

Also some irony as the Knights were almost, almost, the resurrected Nordiques, but again, a new Canadian team was a non-starter.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#55 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:30 PM

View PostAbyss, on 03 May 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

The Hamilton thing is veging on comedy by now... everyone wants it, all evidence suggests it would be a huge success, yet somehow...

Also some irony as the Knights were almost, almost, the resurrected Nordiques, but again, a new Canadian team was a non-starter.

Yup, what a surprise the American commissioner Gary Bettman refuses to make any new Canadian teams but is happy to put some in the desert... as long as it's in America he's cool with it.
He has brought hockey to a lot of places in America which is good as it grows the sport but we have the market here too it's starting to get ridiculous now.

#56 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:08 PM

View PostGintokian, on 03 May 2018 - 03:30 PM, said:

Yup, what a surprise the American commissioner Gary Bettman refuses to make any new Canadian teams but is happy to put some in the desert... as long as it's in America he's cool with it.
He has brought hockey to a lot of places in America which is good as it grows the sport but we have the market here too it's starting to get ridiculous now.

Yeah... i don't know the stats re the mostest successful Canadian teams v even moderately successful US teams (of the top ten profitable teams, Mtl, To and Calgary are usually there) when you look at the total from tics, merchandise, etc etc., so a moderately successful Vegas team may be worth more than a massively successful Hamilton team that may pull money from the 'massively successful ' (/s) Canadian Leafs. The Nordiques were always going to be a problem because of QC being what and where it is... that may be less of an issue now than it was mid-90s when they moved, but it may be another decade before it makes fiscal sense to base a new team there vs Hamilton or even Bramptom or Mississaugua if we look at sheer pop. numbers ( i know, i know....).

#57 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 03 May 2018 - 05:20 PM

View PostAbyss, on 03 May 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

View PostGintokian, on 03 May 2018 - 03:30 PM, said:

Yeah... i don't know the stats re the mostest successful Canadian teams v even moderately successful US teams (of the top ten profitable teams, Mtl, To and Calgary are usually there) when you look at the total from tics, merchandise, etc etc., so a moderately successful Vegas team may be worth more than a massively successful Hamilton team that may pull money from the 'massively successful ' (/s) Canadian Leafs. The Nordiques were always going to be a problem because of QC being what and where it is... that may be less of an issue now than it was mid-90s when they moved, but it may be another decade before it makes fiscal sense to base a new team there vs Hamilton or even Bramptom or Mississaugua if we look at sheer pop. numbers ( i know, i know....).

I know Bettman thought that having a Hamilton team (or any other city in the GTA) would pull money from the Leafs but honestly I really doubt that would happen. What would probably happen is all of the people who couldn't afford or couldn't get tickets to Leaf's games (me) would turn to the Hamilton team to go see games, chances are they would cheer for both teams. I've been a Leafs fan all my life but the most I've ever spent on them was a $50 toque, could never afford/get tickets so there'd be no loss to the leafs if I went to other team's games. The majority of the seats at the ACC are bought by corporations anyways and it's so hard to get tickets, I'd love for there to be a second option as well. As long as they aren't always playing on the same night I think both teams would do great financially.

I know what you mean though about the Canadian vs. US teams. There are a lot more people in the US that could pay for merchandise. As far as ticket sales though there's only a finite amount in the stadiums so I'm not sure that would be a factor.
The thing about Canada though, is that we're all about hockey. America has so many other super popular sports, but for us usually hockey comes first (mostly).

#58 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 May 2018 - 05:38 PM

There's only one Canadian team left in the playoffs (where and what is a Winnipeg Jet?). The last time a Canadian team hoisted the cup was 1993. So if hockey is the most popular sport in Canada, you must be content with sucking. Do better and be better or choose a different sport, kay?

If I were you, I'd start rooting for the Toronto Raptors (NBA). They have a better chance to get further in the playoffs. The Lebron led Cavaliers are not so good this year and so Toronto has a good chance of advancing.

#59 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:39 PM

Posted Image

#60 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:45 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 03 May 2018 - 05:38 PM, said:

There's only one Canadian team left in the playoffs (where and what is a Winnipeg Jet?). The last time a Canadian team hoisted the cup was 1993. So if hockey is the most popular sport in Canada, you must be content with sucking. Do better and be better or choose a different sport, kay?

If I were you, I'd start rooting for the Toronto Raptors (NBA). They have a better chance to get further in the playoffs. The Lebron led Cavaliers are not so good this year and so Toronto has a good chance of advancing.

A jet is a type of airplane, usually one that goes fast, the type of thing your mommy pretends your food is at mealtime.

Yes well there are 7 Canadian teams and 24 American ones so the odds aren't in our favour. Also choosing where to expand really has nothing to do with how other teams in that country are doing but on the economics and interest in hockey of that area.

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users