• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NHL 2020-2021 Season HE SHOOTS HE SCOOOOOORES

#301 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 July 2021 - 05:23 PM

So, what's your thoughts @paran falcon? TBL gonna bring the brooms, sweep the ice, and tidy up MTL's home ice for their second sip out of Lord Stanley's Cup tonight? Quelle horreur!

#302 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 06 July 2021 - 01:34 PM

Well I'm not surprised Montreal pulled out the win last night, though the Lightning had every chance to finish it up. I believe they will close it out in Tampa on Wednesday night. They just don't put two sub par games back to back, especially Vasilevskiy.

This post has been edited by paran falcon: 06 July 2021 - 01:35 PM

#303 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 July 2021 - 03:56 AM

Smart move by TBL. They could have swept MTL, but taking that sole L to return the series back to Tampa to celebrate with the home fans was the way to go. A meth'd-out Florida Man, bath salts zombie face eating, pet alligator congratulations to Tampa. You think Tom Brady will unite the Vince Lombardi Trophy with the Stanley Cup? That would be a force multiplier that could very well create a concussion that breaks the Florida peninsula off from the mainland.

#304 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 08 July 2021 - 05:31 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 08 July 2021 - 03:56 AM, said:

Smart move by TBL. They could have swept MTL, but taking that sole L to return the series back to Tampa to celebrate with the home fans was the way to go. A meth'd-out Florida Man, bath salts zombie face eating, pet alligator congratulations to Tampa. You think Tom Brady will unite the Vince Lombardi Trophy with the Stanley Cup? That would be a force multiplier that could very well create a concussion that breaks the Florida peninsula off from the mainland.

The mayor of Tampa made a crack about the Lighting should lose the game in Montreal so they could clinch the Cup at home. She's lucky it went that way. It seems to me that in hockey more than any other sport, you just DO NOT give a team any life or momentum when you're "in control" of a series. Now, I was quite certain that TB was going to win last night and I wanted to call it before the game to a couple friends but I do not like asking for trouble/tempting fate like that. I was pleased to see that the Lightning came out hitting at the start; that's exactly what I thought they needed to do. Carey Price was great the last 2 games, if not the 3 before. By the time the Lightning scored the only goal last night, it seemed like they should've had 3 by then.

Vasilevskiy was the only choice for the Con Smythe. 15-0 after a loss in the last 2 playoffs and 5 straight shutouts in series clinchers since last year's Cup Final.

I've been in Florida 25 years now this October. I've been a Bucs fan since the mid 80s when I very briefly lived in Tampa, I became a Lighting fan at the inception of the franchise and I converted from a lifelong Yankees fan to the Rays soon after that franchise was born in '98. Each of those teams has put their fans through some serious misery, the Bucs especially. But since 2000, these teams have paid quite a bit of all that suffering back. 3 Stanley Cups, 2 Lombardis (with a shot at back to back too?) and 2 WS chances (C'mon Rays, just 1, even!) is pretty damn good over my time here.

I saw something this morning that I can't find now or I'd post it. The Stanley Cup has a social media account of some kind (?) and I saw a post stating that the Cup is too heavy to toss boat to boat, referencing Tom Brady chucking the Lombardi between boats during the Bucs boat parade that had the country losing its mind. Brady replied to the post that "everything seems lighter after some tequila", with a tear streaming laugh emoji. That's pretty funny. I told my wife last night that that might be the most asked question today: will anyone attempt that foolishness with the Cup? The Lightning ARE having a boat parade...

#305 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 July 2021 - 05:47 PM

I will laugh to the point of disconsciousness if they drop the Cup into the water.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#306 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 July 2021 - 07:33 PM

You'd have to be shit faced, three sheets to the wind, staring at your nose inebriated (or an absolute dumb ass) to attempt to throw the Stanley Cup from boat to boat. Now you know because of the buzz Tom Terrific generated when he did it with the Lombardi Trophy someone on the Lightning may very well try. Hopefully they have chaperones handling the boat parties to prevent that from happening.

Here's some perspective on the trophy sizes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#307 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 09 July 2021 - 01:06 PM

I had to look it up cause I had no idea. The Lombardi trophy weighs 7 pounds. The Stanley Cup weighs 34.5 pounds and, as Mal's pics show, is much larger and bulky. Now I will say some of the Lightning are probably strong enough to attempt to heave it, but I sure as hell wouldn't try it, no matter how trashed I was. I THINK most if not all NHL players have too much respect for the Cup to be so cavalier with it...but who knows?

#308 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 July 2021 - 03:41 PM

I have this vague recall that the Cup now travels with bodyguards and handlers, after a fairly colourful history of 'travel' at the end of finals.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#309 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 09 July 2021 - 08:24 PM

View PostAbyss, on 09 July 2021 - 03:41 PM, said:

I have this vague recall that the Cup now travels with bodyguards and handlers, after a fairly colourful history of 'travel' at the end of finals.

That would not surprise me at all. I recall quite a few years ago now, Claude Lemieux took the Cup on the Howard Stern show...

#310 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:08 PM

Oh snap! Expansion draft tonight for the new Seattle Kraken franchise. I think I'm going to throw my support behind Seattle for their inaugural season kicking off this Fall. Their promotional video announcing their team was pretty cool.

#311 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:03 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 21 July 2021 - 09:08 PM, said:

Oh snap! Expansion draft tonight for the new Seattle Kraken franchise. I think I'm going to throw my support behind Seattle for their inaugural season kicking off this Fall. Their promotional video announcing their team was pretty cool.

And I saw this morning the Kraken swiped Yanni Gourde from the Lightning. That hurts! They're getting a tenacious player who never stops and will also throw his body into the mix and defend. Sorry to see him go.

#312 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:18 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 22 July 2021 - 08:03 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 21 July 2021 - 09:08 PM, said:

And I saw this morning the Kraken swiped Yanni Gourde from the Lightning. That hurts! They're getting a tenacious player who never stops and will also throw his body into the mix and defend. Sorry to see him go.

I caught a little bit of the draft. It was a pretty cool event. They had Seattle personalities of note help out. They also weaved in cultural aspects of the city too (like the fishmonger, throwing fish to each other thing) to bring a home town pride to the event. One thing that was really apparent is that many of these players that were picked up by the Kraken are young (like barely out of high school young).

#313 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 August 2021 - 03:45 PM

Ewww, eating poutine out of the Stanley Cup can't be sanitary. Who knows what late night shenanigans that thing has experienced since the Lightning took the championship. I hope it was given a thorough cleaning before serving it up. I would have run it through one of those Hobart industrial kitchen washing machines personally. Also, that's a lot of poutine to be eating. Better consult with a cardiologist after that meal.

#314 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 October 2021 - 07:57 PM

Caught some preseason highlights of the Seattle Kraken. A lot of fun watching that. I hope they are nationally televised when they have their first regular season home game. I want to see the revelry. Do they have their home ice yet? Or are they playing at a temporary location until it is built?

#315 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 May 2022 - 02:09 AM

First night of the Stanley Cup playoffs. Dang, Toronto pulled out that giant maple leaf and spanked some Lightning ass. And then rolled it up and smoked it like it was the Devil's lettuce. You mapleholes gonna finally get the cup this go around? After what, like 30 years or something?

#316 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 May 2022 - 11:31 AM

Man, that Penguins - Rangers game. Three OTs. This series could be special. And a win for Pittsburgh, woo-hoo!

On the other side of the competitive spectrum, dang, the Avs scored 5 goals in the first period. The quickness of the Avs is unparalleled.

#317 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 June 2022 - 02:14 PM

Holy shit! AV-AAA-LAAAAAAAAAAANCHE!

Dang, will be sitting, waiting. Hope the rust isn't a problem.

#318 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 10 June 2022 - 03:03 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 07 June 2022 - 02:14 PM, said:

Indeed. Colorado is MOST impressive. Being a Lightning fan and watching the beginning games vs the Rangers, I'd say the 9 day rest/rust the Lightning had took 7 periods of hockey to go away. TB did not look like themselves till the 2nd period of game 3. Since then, the Lightning have shown why they are back to back Cup winners. Glorious under 2 minutes to go quick strike again last night to break the MSG streak. I expect the Lightning to close this out, hopefully tomorrow night.

#319 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 June 2022 - 07:05 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 10 June 2022 - 03:03 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 07 June 2022 - 02:14 PM, said:

Indeed. Colorado is MOST impressive. Being a Lightning fan and watching the beginning games vs the Rangers, I'd say the 9 day rest/rust the Lightning had took 7 periods of hockey to go away. TB did not look like themselves till the 2nd period of game 3. Since then, the Lightning have shown why they are back to back Cup winners. Glorious under 2 minutes to go quick strike again last night to break the MSG streak. I expect the Lightning to close this out, hopefully tomorrow night.

Dang, three years in a row in the finals for your Lightning. Avs got their work cut out, but I think they can bring the cup to a place where it actually snows. It's a gd outrage that a place like Tampa, which doesn't know what snow or ice is, has won the Stanley Cup two years running now.

#320 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 13 June 2022 - 12:54 PM

Yeah, yeah. And Canadiens are pissed every year a team south of their border wins the Cup. John Cooper (never been coach of the year?!) and the TB organization don't get the credit they deserve. The core of the team is mostly the same but they've had very important players for each Cup run come and go. Should be a great series!

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users