Malazan Empire: Books You Might Like, Or Not... - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Books You Might Like, Or Not... Favorite long or complicated books.

#61 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:34 PM

View PostAbyss, on 20 February 2018 - 02:48 PM, said:

View Postcarjug, on 19 February 2018 - 07:35 PM, said:

1) Lord Dunsany, the king of Elfland's Daughter. Dig for it on used book sites, and look up Dunsany's stuff on gutenberg.org .
2) Hope Mirrlees Lud-in-the-Mist.

Dunsany vaguely rings a bell but really barely heard of the first two, curious now.

Dunsany is a true pre-Tolkien fantasy classic. His stuff inspired Lovecraft, for example (and, I'm sure, many many others.) I honestly don't remember a thing about Elfland's Daughter, but it's worth it for the historical perspective. (I feel likewise about Eddison's Worm Ouroboros.) Dunsany also did a ton of short stories, which you can find either on Gutenberg or in cheap/free collections on Amazon. "How Nuth Would Have Practised His Art Upon the Gnoles" is a favorite of mine, as is "Chu-Bu and Sheemish".

Lud-in-the-Mist I haven't yet read (I may have to rectify that this year), but I do own a copy, it having garnered the praise of Neil Gaiman, etc.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#62 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:21 PM

Along with Dunsany, Eddison and Mirlees, for your pre-Tolkien fantasy you might want to look at James Branch Cabell's Poictesme series. Perhaps also Clark Ashton Smith's Zothique stories too.

Smith also wrote some stories set in a pseudo-medieval kingdom called Averoigne. They are, like pretty much all of his work, interestingly weird.

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 22 February 2018 - 08:23 PM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users