• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help with My Dog

#1 User is offline   crazymags 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:12 AM

I know that this may not be the right forum to seek an advice about my dog's excessive barking and howling behavior, but I am still hoping that you guys can somehow help me out with my concern. I am looking at these bark collars online, but I am not that sure which one should I purchase. I am not just the one who is having a hard time dealing with it as my neighbors have already confronted me about it. I am looking forward to getting some tips from any dog owner in this section. Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by crazymags: 12 February 2018 - 11:15 PM

#2 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:40 AM

View Postcrazymags, on 12 February 2018 - 12:12 AM, said:

I know that this may not be the right forum to seek an advice about my dog’s excessive barking and howling behavior, but I am still hoping that you guys can somehow help me out with my concern. I am looking at these bark collars online, but I am not that sure which one should I purchase. I am not just the one who is having a hard time dealing with it as my neighbors have already confronted me about it. I am looking forward to getting some tips from any dog owner in this section. Thanks in advance.

General starting points: Take your dog on more active walks and get both of you to a dog training school.

Some breeds are designed to be more vocal and some individual dogs are more vocal than others within the same breed. But you can work to reduce this.

This is more about managing you and helping you communicate to the dog what behaviors you want from the dog.

Questions to answer: When does the dog bark/howl? What do you do when the barking and howling occurs? What role does the dog feel it has in the household?

I really do recommend the training school, as it will do many things (show you that you are not alone, have good dogs and good owners to model after, physically showings of the techniques, and stimulation in a good way). I'm in one right now for our 11 month old pup, who has a bad habit of jumping on everyone and being a hard to walk dog due to pulling.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 12 February 2018 - 01:44 AM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#3 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:51 AM

An interesting tip that I saw once for helping to stop a dog barking as much, is to actually teach it when to bark on command. Strange as it sounds, it worked with my dog. If I say Woof to my dog, he will bark 3 times and stop. and doesn't resume barking.

Unless he hears or sees a fox outside, then all bets are off.

But, as Amphi suggests, go to a training school. Normalising proximity to other dogs is a good thing, and stops a lot of other issues.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:10 AM

Thirding training.
For most breeds, excessive barking is owner fail, not the dog.
Do it, and tell your neighbors that’s what you’re doing.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:51 AM

We had success teaching our dogs to bark on command. It was one of those things we included in the general training regime together with the sit, stay, proper leash discipline and so on.

I personally can't stand bark collars, and other tools of that nature. I think it's better to try training first, and keep the collar as a last resort,
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#6 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:09 AM

Besides for training, does the dog have proper stimulation when he barsk excessively. A toy or something of that ilk can sometimes be all that's needed. He might be barking for lack of anything else to occupy himself.

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:55 PM

I agree with everyone else. Training is KEY.

Also I'd add that my sister and brother-in-law tried to curb their dogs bark with a bark collar...and it not only sounded like she was being tortured every time she barked, but she refused to let it deter her and just kind of yelp-barked like a squeaky person with a hoarse voice...which was (if you'll believe it) FAR more distracting and unpleasant than excessive barking. They ended up ditching the collar after about a month as a total waste of money.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:05 PM

Just my semi-informed $0.02... bark collars are a poor substitute for training. They can work, but can also cause different behavioural problems with the dog who is effectively doing what comes naturally (because not trained otherwise) and punished for it by this thing around its neck that Owner-god put there.

#10 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:19 PM

View Postcrazymags, on 12 February 2018 - 12:12 AM, said:

I know that this may not be the right forum to seek an advice about my dog’s excessive barking and howling behavior, but I am still hoping that you guys can somehow help me out with my concern. I am looking at these bark collars online, but I am not that sure which one should I purchase. I am not just the one who is having a hard time dealing with it as my neighbors have already confronted me about it. I am looking forward to getting some tips from any dog owner in this section. Thanks in advance.

Tell your noisy neighbors that you are training him to eat people who butt the fuck into your business.

Then get him to a training school. Don't shock him. Would you like to be shocked every time you talked. It is cruel and not a good way to show your dog that you love him. Training him is the proper thing to do.

Also when one of your neighbors goes missing tell the others that they complained to much. It will keep them in line.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#11 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:28 PM

I agree that the focus should be on training.

Once you have trained your neighbours to ignore the barking, your life will get way easier.

Some neighbours are difficult to bring along to classes, but there are training aids such as earmuffs and loud tvs which can help. If that fails, there is always corporal punishment.

If that doesn't work, you may have to put your neighbours down, but I would say that is a last resort.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:40 PM

Disagree. The human society will actively work to find good homes for unwanted neighbors.

#13 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:34 PM

This is sounds messed up and I don't advocate it, but just putting all options out there. There are veterinarians that will "debark" your pet by performing vocal chord surgery on him/her. I'm not going to provide any information on it, you can google it if you want to know more.

#14 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:45 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 12 February 2018 - 08:34 PM, said:

This is sounds messed up and I don't advocate it, but just putting all options out there. There are veterinarians that will "debark" your pet by performing vocal chord surgery on him/her. I'm not going to provide any information on it, you can google it if you want to know more.

There is a guy down my block who will "detalk" you Is that similar? His procedure involves a fist to your throat...and to your nose then a knee to your groin area. Anyone who debarks a dog should go and see my neighbor. Or better yet he will come and see you.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#15 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:51 PM

View PostVengeance, on 12 February 2018 - 08:45 PM, said:

There is a guy down my block who will "detalk" you Is that similar? His procedure involves a fist to your throat...and to your nose then a knee to your groin area. Anyone who debarks a dog should go and see my neighbor. Or better yet he will come and see you.

Similar, but that wouldn't be permanent though. After about ten minutes of recovery, I would be talking ish to him as I was running away. Now if he was a surgeon and had a scalpel, he could shut me up for good. But yeah, you know imma talking that trash once I recover.

#16 User is offline   crazymags 

• Recruit

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:18 PM

I guess I would have to conduct a training then, thank you guys for the insightful tips. I will take note each of this and I am really hoping that sooner or later my issue will be resolve.

#17 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:14 AM

This is really bad. I know you said you aren't advocating for this, but even slipping it onto the table of discussion is advocating for it in a way.

Vocal chord surgery/"debarking" is a last ditch option for dogs. Many places ban it outright. It also doesn't stop the barking (changes the quality and volume of the bark) or the behaviors that lead up to the barking.

Training the dog is the best bet - and that actually means training yourself to communicate over time with the dog. It's worth a professional if you can find one or afford one.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#18 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:16 AM

If the behavior occurs when you are gone, it's more then likely separation anxiety. There are simple things you can do that might curtail it. A toy that you and your pet have bonded over could do the trick. Or a sweater that has your scent left with him. Of course that's asking to find a shredded piece of clothing spread all over the yard/house when you come home. In any event if the behavior is due to separation there are a number of things you can try. A google search should have you on your way.

#19 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:22 AM

View Postamphibian, on 13 February 2018 - 12:14 AM, said:

I know you said you aren't advocating for this, but even slipping it onto the table of discussion is advocating for it in a way.

No it's not.. I would never do this myself, and being a dog owner myself, find it abhorrent. I was just putting all options out there. I know it upsets people (as it should), but it's legal. Maybe something positive will come out of it and people will rally to have it outlawed across the board. That's my wish.

#20 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:54 AM

Mounting and such?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users