• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Recent Netflix series

#1 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:19 AM

I'm a bit surprised this series has not been mentioned. I think it's great -- kind of Stranger Things meets Twin Peaks meets Back to the Future. This is one of the best shows I have watched in a while. The biggest problem is that the default setting for Netflix is for the dubbed version, which sucks. English speakers need to change to German and turn on English subtitles.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:47 AM

You guys remember when Erikson was working on a TV thing called "Dark"?

#3 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:47 AM

We do our best to forget.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#4 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:27 PM

View Postflea, on 31 January 2018 - 03:19 AM, said:

I'm a bit surprised this series has not been mentioned. I think it's great -- kind of Stranger Things meets Twin Peaks meets Back to the Future. This is one of the best shows I have watched in a while. The biggest problem is that the default setting for Netflix is for the dubbed version, which sucks. English speakers need to change to German and turn on English subtitles.

I absolutely love this show and have already watched it twice. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who likes Stranger Things and Counterpart (or at least is intrigued by the apparent concept of Counterpart). There's even a touch of the OA about it for those that watched that series. Its a real mind bender. I didn't think the English dubbing was all that bad but I didn't try the German with subtitles version as my wife doesn't want to "read" when she watches. Before you reach the halfway point, you'll wish you had taken notes on all the characters and who is connected to whom, etc.

#5 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:26 AM

Watching any show with a dub when subtitles are available is a sin.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#6 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 03 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

My brother said that about Dark. Started with dubbed, then switched to subtitles and it was 10x better.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 03 February 2018 - 02:29 PM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:04 PM

Thought there was a thread dedicated to this show and I feel compelled to bring it to the fore. We are through 6 eps of the 8 episode 2nd season that just dropped last Friday, the 21st. This show is mind boggling and absolutely awesome. I cannot speak highly enough about it. I think it is my favorite show of the last several years now. How the writers have kept things straight through all the complexity of the plotlines is beyond me. But it is riveting! Fantastic performances all over the cast and the casting choices to show the same characters at different ages are right on the money. How this show isn't garnering more attention is impossible for me to fathom!

#8 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 29 June 2019 - 02:45 PM

Want your mind blown? Season 2 spoiler:
Spoiler

#9 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 02 July 2019 - 12:50 PM

View PostBfuckinK, on 30 June 2019 - 10:37 PM, said:

Starting this I think. Got 8 minutes 12 seconds in to S1 Ep 1 but I'm not feeling reading the subs at this particular moment so I'm gonna take a break now.

Don't give up! I get it; my wife doesn't want to "read" to watch a tv show. My daughter and I would prefer the German version with subtitles. If you MUST, watch the English dubbed version and then watch it with the subtitles the 2nd time. Being able to run through seasons 1 and 2 straight through will definitely inspire/require a 2nd watch. At least! By the time you get halfway through S1, you'll wish you'd been taking notes.

This post has been edited by paran falcon: 02 July 2019 - 12:52 PM

#10 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:11 PM

View PostBfuckinK, on 03 July 2019 - 05:44 PM, said:

Onto Ep 2. Huh the fuck is this dude in hotel about? Maybe
Spoiler

I am VERY much going to enjoy your running commentary!

#11 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 06 July 2019 - 01:29 PM

View PostBfuckinK, on 05 July 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

Hmm 21:21 in 3.
Spoiler

25:11
Spoiler

Just finished. Oh that's 2 completely different people lol(grandpappy)

You will learn who the Stranger is (among several other things!) in Ep 4. You will also see why, if you don't already, I wished I had been taking notes by then!

#12 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 07 July 2019 - 04:53 AM

Dark is amazing !

Take lots of notes though. Just went through my second rewatch and prolly one of my fav dystopian types of shows.

Like a really long episode of outer limits
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#13 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:34 PM

So yeah, Dark:

As someone who has a weakness for plot over characterisation, it hits all the right notes - although the characterisation is pretty good too. I'd say it was impeccably cast too; the older/younger versions of everyone are absolutely spot on, and even the child actors have enough resemblance to the adults playing their parents. And the time travel nuttiness is in full effect as there are at least three or four bootstrap paradoxes in evidence:
Spoiler

After the wtf?ending of season 2, I'm more than intrigued to see what happens next - and I definitely want to know
Spoiler

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:13 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 09 July 2019 - 07:34 PM, said:

So yeah, Dark:

As someone who has a weakness for plot over characterisation, it hits all the right notes - although the characterisation is pretty good too. I'd say it was impeccably cast too; the older/younger versions of everyone are absolutely spot on, and even the child actors have enough resemblance to the adults playing their parents. And the time travel nuttiness is in full effect as there are at least three or four bootstrap paradoxes in evidence:
Spoiler

Spoiler

After the wtf?ending of season 2, I'm more than intrigued to see what happens next - and I definitely want to know
Spoiler

Spoiler

My daughter actually started a 3 ring binder with notes, theories and questions related to this show. Lists of things that happen in every year visited so far, etc. There's a lot in it already! Posted Image

#15 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:17 PM

But the single most important question of all remains; what actually happened to Wöller's eye? Will we ever know?
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#16 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:13 PM

I'm just now on Season 2, Episode 2.

It's been amazingly entertaining. I love how they incorporate the PBS type dialogue about Black Holes in the background at times.

I loved The OA.

I loved Stranger Things, but not as much as the others I mention.

I love Sense8. I want a Riley Blue of my very own.

The Magicians is hands down the greatest series ever. (GoTsis a given and doesn't count.)

Good Omens on Amazon Prime I believe, is terribly entertaining. Michael Sheen and David Tennant are superb and make the show, IMO.

American Gods is good, although I haven't watched Season 2, yet.

The Umbrella Academy was very decent.

Altered Carbon is good.

I haven't watched Counterpart.

But back to the topic at hand. Dark definitely kept my noodle spinning to keep up. I have extremely high hopes that Season 2 will be great, but I'm afraid I'll let myself down if I don't temper my expectations.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#17 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:20 PM

As far as to Dub or not to Dub, I always refer back to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. You MUST watch it in its original language with English( or your language preference) subtitles.

If you watch it Dubbed in English it's nowhere near the same movie, nor as great as it deserves to be.

Never Dub....for the most part. I can't even think of a counter argument.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

- Maynard James Keenan

#18 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:31 AM

View PostBrujah, on 13 July 2019 - 10:13 PM, said:

I'm just now on Season 2, Episode 2

But back to the topic at hand. Dark definitely kept my noodle spinning to keep up. I have extremely high hopes that Season 2 will be great, but I'm afraid I'll let myself down if I don't temper my expectations.

In my honest opinion, you do NOT need to temper at all.

#19 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:44 AM

Was on Season 2, Episode 2 about 9 hours ago.

Just finished Season 2. Binged it all the way.

Spoiler

- Maynard James Keenan

#20 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:59 PM

Few things:

First time Ulrich 3 turns around I let out an audible gasp.

I loved the S2 finale.

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users