#1 User is offline   No-God 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:04 PM

"In the Vellum - the vast realm of eternity
on which our world is just a scratch
- the unkin are gathering for war.

On the one side of the covenant, out to create heaven
on earth even if it means an Apocalypse to clear the way.
On the other, the splinter groups of ancient
gods still hungry for power that was once theirs,
bitter enough to destroy the world if they can't rule it.

And caught in the middle of it all are a
handful of refuseniks still young enough to remember
what it's like to be human, and want to stay that way.

In the Vellum, blood magic made in Hell
is about to come face to face with nanotechnology
forged in Heaven. Past, present, and future will
collide with other worlds and ancient myths.

And the Vellum will burn..."

I imagine some of you have heard of this epic. I ordered it from England the other day, because it's released there...

It sounds very ambitious, and unique.

Comments?

#2 Guest_Jay Tomio_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:57 AM

I imagine some of you have heard of this epic. I ordered it from England the other day, because it's released there...

It sounds very ambitious, and unique.

The best book book of the fantastic published in 2005 thus far in my opinion, and one of the most audacious and daring debuts in a long time. I haven't read anything quite like it. It has to be noted it's just one half of a story that will continue in Ink next year. I read it a few months ago - absolutely captivating . My full review is here if interested and I interview Hal here

Highly reccomended for fans that appreciate literay fantasy, as well as works that surreal works that blur the lines of SF/F and horror elements - not recommended for those that prefer traditional "stories" or have issues reading non-linear pieces. It's a love or hate book - I loved it.

Ink is the book I'm most anticipating next year.

#3 User is offline   Brys 

• Fist

Posted 14 September 2005 - 04:23 PM

Why can't I find it in bookshops? You can see all the other brand new fantasy books dominating them (like Eldest), but no sign of any of the others. Anyway, I shouldn't complain, because I do have a huge amount to read.

#4 Guest_Jay Tomio_*

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:38 PM

Why can't I find it in bookshops? You can see all the other brand new fantasy books dominating them (like Eldest), but no sign of any of the others. Anyway, I shouldn't complain, because I do have a huge amount to read.

Are you in the U.K.?

#5 User is offline   No-God 

• Fist

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:12 PM

Nice. When about next year is Ink expected?

#6 Guest_Killanthir_*

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:26 PM

I'm curious, I've never heard of this "Vellum" -- is it anything like "American Gods" by Gaiman?

#7 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:47 PM

I saw this in the bookshop the other day, but bought Ghormenghast instead, because it sounded a bit hackneyed. But a recomendation from Jay certainly makes it worth a try:)
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#8 User is offline   Brys 

• Fist

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:16 AM

Ainulindale said:

Are you in the U.K.?

Yes - and it is supposed to be out here by now. I saw in my bookshop Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - mixed in with all the other books, and not promoted at all, but at least they had it.

@caladanbrood - however good Vellum is, it's unlikely to be as good as Gormenghast which is simply a masterpiece. You made the right decision - but Vellum isn't exactly hackneyed (Ainulindale is recommending it after all).

#9 Guest_Jay Tomio_*

Posted 17 September 2005 - 12:44 PM

Nice. When about next year is Ink expected?

I don't know if there is a defintive date I would assume a year after is standard operatiing procedure, about the same time the U.S. version of Vellum comes out.

I'm curious, I've never heard of this "Vellum" -- is it anything like "American Gods" by Gaiman?

Thri rare similar themes/elements but Vellum is much more darker, much more ambitious.

I saw this in the bookshop the other day, but bought Ghormenghast instead, because it sounded a bit hackneyed.

I think it contains elements from other works, but they are in the realm of influences not hacks by an stretch IMHO. Duncan has been well received among the author community - especially those who would call out a hack. He makes references in the novel to past and present masters like Lovecraft, Moorcock, and Peake so he is concious of those who came before. It's an ambitious debut, it's not for everyone, but I thought it was incredible. I have never read a book anything like this before. The people that don't like it are the usual suspects who use nothing but the words self-indulgence when talking about a book they don't like (something I have learned is as soon as a someone uses the word self indulgence or pretentious in a review to negatively critique you might as well stop listening right then - in fact their was a interesting discussion about the practice among some authors a couple of months ago at the Mumpsimus) . I'm not sure what it means but it seems to me that all authors are self indulgent. I have seen exactly one review that was negative (not really negative, just not overwhelmingly positive like all the rest have been) and that reviewer brought up some apt arguments, but I think they are overwhelmed by what's good about Vellum, and that reviewer was using that post to stress another book at the same time - and was drawing a comparison.

He plans (as the interview I linked above states) to write spin off novels (the Vellum is much like the moorcockian multiverse - or can be used as such- ) after this duology. I hope the books sesll well enough to make this possible. Pan macmillan has an amazing track record with new with authors (Mieville, VanderMeer, Robson, Banks) - you can add Duncan to that list with confidence.

#10 User is offline   drosdelnoch 

• Lieutenant

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:17 PM

If im honest with you it took a bit to get into but the hook was about an ancient book that people had heard of but few had seen. It does draw you in but I have to say I prefered R Scott Bakkers debut to this one.

#11 User is offline   No-God 

• Fist

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:12 PM

drosdelnoch said:

If im honest with you it took a bit to get into but the hook was about an ancient book that people had heard of but few had seen. It does draw you in but I have to say I prefered R Scott Bakkers debut to this one.

Tough to compare Duncan to Bakker, because they're so different.

#12 User is offline   drosdelnoch 

• Lieutenant

Posted 22 September 2005 - 04:26 PM

Writing styles aside I just felt drawn into Bakker more than I was with Duncan.

#13 User is offline   No-God 

• Fist

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:29 AM

drosdelnoch said:

Writing styles aside I just felt drawn into Bakker more than I was with Duncan.

Bakker = Fantasy
Duncan = Sci-Fi

#14 User is offline   No-God 

• Fist

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:19 PM

So yeah. I got the book from England and I've read almost half of it. I must admit, it's the strangest written book I think I've yet read. Written very informally, but a lot of the concepts really make you think. I like it, but I'm unsure why.

#15 User is offline   caliban 

• Recruit

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:41 PM

its a hard book to get in to and can be confusing ,but its worth a look

#16 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:24 PM

I just got this book in the paperback yesterday. Despite being well written, and not in a difficult style, the way he flits between story-strands, timelines, characters, and realities means it requires more effort than I'm used to - I haven't read this slowly for years, I'm only closing on 100 pages in - but so far, it's very, very good. The, ahem, unique arrangement of the book means it seems to pack in more in the space it's got than a standardly set out one, too.
Storywise, it comes on (so far) like a cross between American Gods and His Dark Materials, but more complex than either.
I'll probably come back to rave some more when I've finished... :)

Oh, I wouldn't call Duncan Sci-Fi, though he might blur the boundaries. I'd put him down as one of the more overt New Weird authors, myself. Though that seems to have lost the hype over it in the last year.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#17 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:02 AM

I'm with Jay on this one.

Vellum is one of the most ambitious debuts I have ever read. One heck of as novel. Can't wait to sink my teeth into INK!:)

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#18 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:21 AM

My wait for the Ink paperback will be long and hard, on this evidence.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#19 User is offline   Valgard 

• Bored Microbiologist (not a good combination)

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:16 AM

I really liked it again not sure why it is not an easy book to read it was very confusing especially at first but it slowly drew me in revealing more and more whilct confusing you more and more as well. Definately worth a look an enjoyable book.

#20 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:30 PM

loved it from begining to end, though parts of the middle were a tad too slow even for me..
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users