• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Metal Gear: Survive

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:10 AM

This looks surprisingly good.

I loved MGS5's gameplay but hated the story, so this looks like it might be perfect. Looks like they threw in some Dead Light and Fallout 4 crafting and basebuilding in there for sport.

This has gone from a curious idea to an anticipated spring release.

What do you guys think? Please don't tell me you're on the "whaaah Konami are mean" bandwagon.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 08 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

#2 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:27 PM

Bandwagon? Isn't it fairly well established that Konami are in fact pretty mean?
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

The blacklisting of employees that went to work with Kojima was bad but pretty much all the stuff surrounding Kojima I think is a very one sided presentation of events. I certainly don't blame a company for wanting to focus on cheaper, less risky investments, like Pachinko.

From what leaked before and after Kojima is a perfectionist who flushed millions of dollars down the toilet mismanaging the production of the game. In no way do I blame Konami for removing him from a project that was clearly no where near being finished by the time it was released.

My disappointment with MGS 5 may have made me slightly bitter.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 08 January 2018 - 12:32 PM

#4 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:46 PM

Phantom Pain. Man I still need to power my way through it. I like the game play mechanics and open world, but holy snikies the repetitiveness got too much for me. And I don't know what the hell is going on with the story in it. The base building seems to be a lot of extraneous distraction and unnecessary.

If they totally streamlined and ripped out a lot of what made Phantom Pain just a slog of tediousness, then I might consider this.The trend chasing Fallout 4 like crafting worries me too. I don't like when games try to snap in another game's successful mechanics. It could work, or more then likely enhance how unnecessary the base management was in Phantom Pain. I didn't really like the crafting in Fallout 4 either, tbh. Didn't hate it, but didn't like it either. It was just there. It was, meh, imo. I did the minimal to build up settlements and pursued it no further.

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

View PostBriar King, on 08 January 2018 - 05:08 PM, said:

That looks really fun but I have never played a game in series. That could be 1st I’m thinking. Does one console offer exclusives? Need to build up Xbone library or it will remain a waste of $554 that gathers dust.

The only game in the series truly worth playing is METAL GEAR SOLID from Playstation 1. It is without a doubt, a MASTERPIECE of gameplay and story.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:01 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 January 2018 - 05:21 PM, said:

That looks really fun but I have never played a game in series. That could be 1st I’m thinking. Does one console offer exclusives? Need to build up Xbone library or it will remain a waste of $554 that gathers dust.

The only game in the series truly worth playing is METAL GEAR SOLID from Playstation 1. It is without a doubt, a MASTERPIECE of gameplay and story.

Is that the top-down one? That one was available on PC as well.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:44 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 January 2018 - 05:21 PM, said:

Whoah, now! Them's fightin' words!

The Metal Gear games are not for everyone but if Kojima's story telling and the world building vibes with you, it's an incredibly fascinating video game franchise. Maybe the most interesting out there in my opinion. Kojima's writing and direction oscilates between the purile, infantale, most self indulgent wank to some of the most evocative, thought provoking and creative game writing. There's hard political philosophy in there, cutting edge sci-fi discussion of where our foreign policies are taking us, the internet, bio technology, anti-war, anti-nuclear stuff, etc.

And alternatively, for those who really do not get or like Kojima's writing, there is the gameplay design. Every single MGS game has done crazy things with game mechanics, environment design, bizarre little details that nobody would bother to animate or implement. MGS games sells systems, straight up.

I'd argue that Metal Gear Solid 4 is perhaps the best story based video game ever made. No bullshit. It's a fantastic ride and an amazing culmination to a crazy string of games.

MGS 1 was a revolution in how you thought about presenting video games when 3D games were just becoming a thing. When I played it in the 90s it blew me away. It was the most cinematic experience I'd ever had.

I didn't like MGS2 very much but the third one again has a crazy story and it again changed things by exploring survival elements in a stealth shooter.

MGS5 has a terrible story and was clearly an unfinished mess, I honestly hate that game a little bit, and yet I have to admit it played like a dream. It's one of the best, most fine-tuned open world experiences in terms of character action and possibility spaces.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is a really fun spectacle fighter that diverts from the traditional MGS game elements but retains the metal gear themes and writing. It has one of the most spectacular, dumb and satisfying final boss fights and endings in video games. Like, if you're never going to get around to playing Metal Gear Rising you should go Youtube the final boss fight. It's nuts and 100% Metal Gear at its best.

BK if you're thinking about getting into the series but can't be arsed to play the older games, I recommend at least checking out MGS: Ground Zeroes and MGS5: Phantom Pain. You wont understand 75% of what is going on behind the scenes but it's the games that Metal Gear: Survive is built on.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 08 January 2018 - 06:49 PM

#8 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

BK owes a PS3, I believe. Isn't that when they did a remaster of the whole series (or was that for the PS4?)

Anyway, one of the recent gens of PS should have the entire series available for it.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#9 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:57 AM

Metal Gear Solid for the win.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users