Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Plague of Giants by Kevin Hearne Seven Kennings Series

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:00 PM

Just came by this title while looking for something fantasy to read. I am a sucker for anything related to giants so this seems like a must read to me.

The blurb goes like this:

From the author of The Iron Druid Chronicles, a thrilling novel that kicks off a fantasy series with an entirely new mythology—complete with shape-shifting bards, fire-wielding giants, and children who can speak to astonishing beasts

MOTHER AND WARRIOR
Tallynd is a soldier who has already survived her toughest battle: losing her husband. But now she finds herself on the front lines of an invasion of giants, intent on wiping out the entire kingdom, including Tallynd’s two sons—all that she has left. The stakes have never been higher. If Tallynd fails, her boys may never become men.

SCHOLAR AND SPY
Dervan is an historian who longs for a simple, quiet life. But he’s drawn into intrigue when he’s hired to record the tales of a mysterious bard who may be a spy or even an assassin for a rival kingdom. As the bard shares his fantastical stories, Dervan makes a shocking discovery: He may have a connection to the tales, one that will bring his own secrets to light.

REBEL AND HERO
Abhi’s family have always been hunters, but Abhi wants to choose a different life for himself. Embarking on a journey of self-discovery, Abhi soon learns that his destiny is far greater than he imagined: a powerful new magic thrust upon him may hold the key to defeating the giants once and for all—if it doesn’t destroy him first.

Set in a magical world of terror and wonder, this novel is a deeply felt epic of courage and war, in which the fates of these characters intertwine—and where ordinary people become heroes, and their lives become legend.

Has anyone read the Iron Druid Chronicles? Does it sound like they are connected to this world? If so I might make myself read them first.

Anyone know if this Kevin Hearne guy is any good compared to the usual favorites of the Malazan Empire?

That "Seven Kennings" series name sounds like a bad country record.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 30 December 2017 - 07:00 PM

#2 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:57 AM

I hear people saying "Iron Druid Chronicles" are uneven. I liked the first 2 books all right, but the third made me lose most interest rate in the series- I didn't like where he took his character, and he stopped being relatable.

This does not sound like it'd be related to that series. Though with a word "kenning" in there I wouldn't be surprised if there's some celtic mythos tie-in.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#3 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:18 AM

I have read a bunch of the iron Druid books. The series starts off fine, though the humour is a bit goofy, but as the books continue, the quality just drops.

I used to wait for the next book eagerly, and not I can't even be bothered to finish the series.

The blurb of Giants doesn't seem like its in the same world though.

#4 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:20 PM

I read the first couple books, they were ok, something to fill the Dresden void. Around book 3 or 4 it really became Dresden fanfiction turned up to 11.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:59 PM

I've read/earbook'd the entire IRON DRUID series to date, so here's my informed opinion...

A urban fantasy goes, it's got some fairly fun original/not done to death elements (Irish mythology, Native mythology, witches), some genuinely original stuff (Jesuses) and some horribly overdone tropes (vamps, werewolves, asshole Norse gods).

The actual writing is fine.

The plotting is all over the place from fun to 'are-you-fucking-kidding-me?'.

The series starts ok, gets better, then hits a very mediocre plateau between brilliant and suck that just barely kept my interest as of the latest book. I want to know what happens to the characters but i don't want to slog to find out.

The earbook narrator should not be allowed near a book ever again, imnsho.

I'll probably library future instalments and skim chunks.

Recommendation would be to start it if you're curious, bail if you lose interest because it doesn't get better.

All that said, on the strength of what i did like about the IRON DRUID series, i will pick up the GIANTS series once he has a few books out.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:41 AM

I'd have to agree with Abyss here. I loved the notion of a druid and the various mythologies depicted, but I found the writing to veer from decent to utterly cringeworthy. The first few books got by on the novelty of the premise, to the point that I could ignore the flaws. But whereas the writing and plotting should be getting tighter as he progresses as an author, instead they seem to be more rushed and and incredibly uneven. I can't even remember which book I stopped on, and I probably won't bother going back until its finished as a series so I can rush through the remaining ones to complete the story. A pity really cos it had such promise.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#7 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:58 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 30 December 2017 - 07:00 PM, said:

It's Dervan. D-E-R-V-A-N. Not Goidemar.

Nilfgaardian scum.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1