Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Imass Throne location

#1 User is offline   yuo 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:30 AM

In the edition I have, the Imass compass is said to point west in Heng, and North in Malaz. That does not make much sense, does it? Is it the same in your edition?

West could be a typo for east, in which case Kartool would fit; explaining why it will be one of Kellanved's first conquests.

#2 User is offline   WhiskeyJohn 

• Corporal

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:40 PM

Yeah, west from Heng and North from Malaz island.

I think you need to read the map like you'd do in real life. Think of Quaon Tali as a globe maybe, like west from Los Angeles and you reach Hong Kong. West from Li Heng and you reach ..... Kartool or even Seti Plains where the throne could be. We know it was moved later to Drift Avalii and then into Shadow.

#3 User is offline   glasseye 

• Recruit

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:04 PM

View PostWhiskeyJohn, on 17 December 2017 - 05:40 PM, said:

Yeah, west from Heng and North from Malaz island.

I think you need to read the map like you'd do in real life. Think of Quaon Tali as a globe maybe, like west from Los Angeles and you reach Hong Kong. West from Li Heng and you reach ..... Kartool or even Seti Plains where the throne could be. We know it was moved later to Drift Avalii and then into Shadow.

The Throne of Shadow was on Drift Avalii not the Imass throne which is more likely for what the arrowhead is pointing to.

#4 User is offline   yuo 

• Recruit

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:36 AM

Think of Quaon Tali as a globe maybe

Do we know even know that Wu is a globe? All the warrens seem to homeormorphic to disks, either with hard edges or flowing into other warrens. You might reply that Wu is not a warren, but is that so? When Scabandari and Silchas enter Wu, they just seem to be fleeing one warren into another. If you believe the Kurald Galain in the Kharkanas trilogy is set in the same world as Wu, then you have to admit that parts of it can be extracted into a warren (when you extract a part of globe, what would be left in the hole?) and we also see in Fall of Light that it flows into another warren (K'rul's trip with Skillen).

If Wu is a globe, then west of Heng and North of Malaz means the throne is almost antipodal to Quon Tali, otherwise the direction would not vary so harshly between relatively close locations. Perhaps southern Letheras?

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:01 PM

Most warrens seem to have semi-defined 'borders' that flow into other warrens, or chaos, or 'nothing'. So there's strong support for a theory that they are 'spaces', not worlds in the round sense.

Kurald Galain per the Kharkanas trilo, and back when we saw it from RG forward (when the Shake travelled there), seems to be more of a 'world', but that may have changed. The 'Shore' where Kurald Thyrrlan/Liosan overlapped was more portal/gate than border.

As for Malazanland, all indications are it is a 'world'.... i have a vague notion that if you were to look at the latest version of D'rek's map and chart all the sea voyages we know of that would cover routes between all continents from all directions, bt i could be making that up in my head. because i'm drunk.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:39 PM

If one book says it's West of Li Heng, and another says it's North of Malaz Isle, perhaps that just means it's in the Northwest somewhere.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   qcp 

• Suzerain of Bourbon

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:08 PM

There is no reason to assume it has stayed in one spot the whole time.

#8 User is offline   yuo 

• Recruit

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:32 PM

View Postqcp, on 19 December 2017 - 03:08 PM, said:

There is no reason to assume it has stayed in one spot the whole time.

Good point. The arrow could point to a moving gateway to Tellan. It makes sense that the throne should be in Tellan.

#9 User is offline   WhiskeyJohn 

• Corporal

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:46 AM

View Postyuo, on 18 December 2017 - 09:36 AM, said:

Think of Quaon Tali as a globe maybe

Do we know even know that Wu is a globe? All the warrens seem to homeormorphic to disks, either with hard edges or flowing into other warrens. You might reply that Wu is not a warren, but is that so? When Scabandari and Silchas enter Wu, they just seem to be fleeing one warren into another. If you believe the Kurald Galain in the Kharkanas trilogy is set in the same world as Wu, then you have to admit that parts of it can be extracted into a warren (when you extract a part of globe, what would be left in the hole?) and we also see in Fall of Light that it flows into another warren (K'rul's trip with Skillen).

If Wu is a globe, then west of Heng and North of Malaz means the throne is almost antipodal to Quon Tali, otherwise the direction would not vary so harshly between relatively close locations. Perhaps southern Letheras?

View PostAbyss, on 18 December 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

Most warrens seem to have semi-defined 'borders' that flow into other warrens, or chaos, or 'nothing'. So there's strong support for a theory that they are 'spaces', not worlds in the round sense.

Kurald Galain per the Kharkanas trilo, and back when we saw it from RG forward (when the Shake travelled there), seems to be more of a 'world', but that may have changed. The 'Shore' where Kurald Thyrrlan/Liosan overlapped was more portal/gate than border.

As for Malazanland, all indications are it is a 'world'.... i have a vague notion that if you were to look at the latest version of D'rek's map and chart all the sea voyages we know of that would cover routes between all continents from all directions, bt i could be making that up in my head. because i'm drunk.

I used to think of them as "dimensions" in sci-fi terminology. People can live in other dimensions, can draw power from them or even use them to travel. Certain places you have edges or soft spots where it gets blurred making jumps easier between them. Chaos is probably like a black hole. Powerful, they "eat" anything and everything close to it get warped.

So the warrens exist in same space/time, but different dimensions to physical Malazan world.

#10 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:46 PM

View Postyuo, on 16 December 2017 - 03:30 AM, said:

In the edition I have, the Imass compass is said to point west in Heng, and North in Malaz. That does not make much sense, does it? Is it the same in your edition?

West could be a typo for east, in which case Kartool would fit; explaining why it will be one of Kellanved's first conquests.

The Imass Throne was originally in Seven Cities but it was moved to an underground rift located far below an extant city somewhere on the Quon Tali continent, as per HoC. There's no indication in either HoC or TBH that the Throne is in a warren, so it appears to be in a physical location.

If we take it that the Dancer's Lament reading is accurate, then it is west of Li Heng. Interestingly, the only significant city west of Li Heng is Quon Tali itself. If you drew a line continuously west it would take you north of Drift Avalii and through south-western Seven Cities, probably Shal-Morzinn and then west around the globe to Assail.

If it's wrong and he meant east, and then north of Malaz Isle, then it could be Kartool but another strong argument would be for Unta. That would explain why Kellanved moved his capital to Unta (because otherwise why bother? Li Heng, Quon Tali, Malaz Isle or somewhere like Cawn might all make more sense), to be near the Throne, and why the Imass are keen not to reveal its location in HoC, as someone like Laseen or Tayschrenn would find it very easy to get to it.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users